• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Too much time to think about it :(

hayley1983

Hey guys.

I'm so confused, stressed, tearful all in one, and thought I'd share my dilemma with you all because you all seem to give great advice :)

Basically, because I waited a while for my consultation for a Gastric Band with WLSG, I'm now having second thoughts, and considering a Gastric Bypass.

I know there are pros and cons to both procedures, and now I'm leaning towards a bypass more :cry:

I have my consultation on Thursday and I want to be sure of what I want and get my postive mental attitude in gear :)

What made you decide which procedure to go for?

I know that I shouldn't be making my decision based on someone elses choice but I think I would find it helpful seeing how other people weighed up their options.

Thanks everyone

xxx

Hmmm..my whole scenario is very different from most folks on here but when I decided to pay for the surgery I did a lot of reseacrh on the long term outcome, I also examined my eating habits and on the balance of those, went for the bypass even though my BMI was only 36. I want to go back to competing in sports within a year or so and tht was another major factor for the time considerations.

I am sure the guru's from both camps will be along to give you worthy advise.

Go with your gut instinct, that's what I say.

I made my decision based on my eating habits. I am a huge sweets eater (especially ice cream and chocolate) and these foods can slide past the band and it would allow me to cheat more. I know how I would abuse that.

(((HUGS))) It is a really tough decision to make. I am still pre-op but there will be no changing of my mind. My research into my eating habits and how I got this way lead me to believe the bypass is the only option for me.

Why not go with an open mind and ask the surgeon for advice and guidance?

Your BMI is high for a band, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you. It depends on your eating habits and willpower.

I was all for the band and said i would not go bypass but when i went to see the dr i was advised for my size the bypass would be better, after chatting on here and looking into it more i understand why but the bypass being very final still scares me but the idea of being this weight forever scares me more . You have to feel 110% happy with what your going to do as the process is so personal to you as an individual that it has to be your choice x and you will make the right choice and this time next year all the thoughts of uncertainty will have disapeared like all the pounds x

I think shelbell is right - talk to your consultant and see what they say. I initially asked for a band but when my doctor phoned the surgeon a bypass was recommended because I have type 2 diabetes. When my first consultation came around I was given a choice but went along with what was recommended. I really think you should, too. After all, the surgeon knows best. They might even recommend a band now and a bypass later! This is a big question and we all have different criteria. Good luck on Thursday. Mxx

I to agree with Shel, best bet is to go along with an open mind and talk through both procedures with your consultant, each have there own peculiarities and take working at, as Shel said your BMI is quite high to be considering a band, though there are some very successful banders here that started with high BMI's, but most will agree that it takes a lot of working at to be successful, its a bit easier with a bypass, but you may have to contend with dumping syndrome (if you get it as some dont) and being comitted to taking supplients for the rest of your life !

good advice from the others your surgeon will help you decide whats best for you regarding your lifestyle now.

i chose the band because i was a huge portion eater at meal times and the band has definatley put a stop to that for me, if i had of been a snacker and sweet food lover i would of chosen a bypass, so im happy with the choice ive made as it was correct for my eating habbits. its great that your doing research on here and getting peoples views and opinions as research helps alot with making a decision, good luck hun xxx

liz xxx

I opted for the band because of eating habits plus fear of the bypass. As Shell says, talk to your consultant as they will advise you which op would suit you best. You don't have to have what they say but its good to chat with them and decide with them.

Thanks everyone. Great advice. And like you all said, that is what the consultation is for, for them to advise whats best for me.

Hopefully, I'll come to a decision on Thursday, because me head is completely battered thinking about it all, because its such a big life changing decision :)

I will fill you all in when I come back on Thursday.

xxx

No choice for me. My trust would only give me a bypass as I had diabetes. To be honest I like the strict no going backness of the bypass. I would find the band too easy to cheat, but I am a weak chuffer with no will power

No choice for me. My trust would only give me a bypass as I had diabetes. To be honest I like the strict no going backness of the bypass. I would find the band too easy to cheat, but I am a weak chuffer with no will power

Yeah, that's one of the reasons that I've changed my mind to have a bypass - no going back.

xxx

Which do you pick if you eat big meals and can pick all day!!My day is usually 2 weetabix and a banana,2 slices wmeal toast and butter perhaps marmalade and mug of tea.about 11 oclock tea and biscuits ie 2 kitkats or such like.lunch round of sandwiches crisps and a biscuit tea.teatime meat and two veg pots or pasta/rice,pudding ie sponge and custard or cake.9pm 2 toast and butter or cereal and tea.not adverse to chocolate or sweets if in the house!only thing i dont do is drink!

I originally wanted the band so that it could be "removed" and then i could be "normal again" which is all i aspire to be! However my Dr advised the bypass and told me to do the research on the statistics, I did and moved towards the bypass. Now only two weeks on I know i'd have failed on the band. Best advice is on here deffo spk to Dr about what they think is best for you!

Clare xx

I chose the band because I liked big portions and ate lots of bread, rice & pasta...all of which they recommend banders to avoid post op, and as I was paying for it the band was the cheaper option :rolleyes:

the only thing that concerns me about the future is funding fills for many years to come...I'm considering asking whether I can get future help on NHS for this.

good luck with your consultation xx

I wasn't really given the choice. Initially my doctor requested funding for the band but it was decided that as I needed a rapid weight loss because of another illness I have the bypass would be better.

The decision wasn't based on my eating habits but more on my health issues.

I made my decision based on my eating habits. I am a huge sweets eater (especially ice cream and chocolate) and these foods can slide past the band and it would allow me to cheat more. I know how I would abuse that.

(((HUGS))) It is a really tough decision to make. I am still pre-op but there will be no changing of my mind. My research into my eating habits and how I got this way lead me to believe the bypass is the only option for me.

Yup that was my reasoning too, plus the consultant thought i'd made a wise choice. And for those interested WM asked which operation i wanted so am presuming they offer the band too!

Hey guys.

I'm so confused, stressed, tearful all in one, and thought I'd share my dilemma with you all because you all seem to give great advice :)

Basically, because I waited a while for my consultation for a Gastric Band with WLSG, I'm now having second thoughts, and considering a Gastric Bypass.

I know there are pros and cons to both procedures, and now I'm leaning towards a bypass more :cry:

I have my consultation on Thursday and I want to be sure of what I want and get my postive mental attitude in gear :)

What made you decide which procedure to go for?

I know that I shouldn't be making my decision based on someone elses choice but I think I would find it helpful seeing how other people weighed up their options.

Thanks everyone

xxx

Hi There

I have not had any surgery yet and for all I know the surgeon might decide something different from what I want.

I would choose bypass for me because of my eating habits (eating throughout the day...eating sweets, chocolate, cream and high fat foods) and because I know that a band for me would not be a 'permanent' enough option...

I know that I would sabotage the band at some point but I know once done I would be dedicated to the bypass...For me the band would make me feel like I would be on a perpetual diet...and I could not bare the fills.

This is just my opinion as I have not had the experience yet...

What made you make your decision for the band in the first place?...What is making you change your mind now?

Good luck

(((hugs)))

Hi There

I have not had any surgery yet and for all I know the surgeon might decide something different from what I want.

I would choose bypass for me because of my eating habits (eating throughout the day...eating sweets, chocolate, cream and high fat foods) and because I know that a band for me would not be a 'permanent' enough option...

I know that I would sabotage the band at some point but I know once done I would be dedicated to the bypass...For me the band would make me feel like I would be on a perpetual diet...and I could not bare the fills.

This is just my opinion as I have not had the experience yet...

What made you make your decision for the band in the first place?...What is making you change your mind now?

Good luck

(((hugs)))

Because I thought it was the best option for me mainly financially. But in the long run the band is going to cost me more with fills / replacements in the future.

But having waited quite a while for my first consultation, I've been researching the bypass. And I've come to the conclusion that I need something permanent like you. I know that I will have to do certain things for the rest of my life eg. vitamins, but this is very little compaired to the health and happiness my surgery will bring. :)

xxx

hi Hun ... it is an awful place to be in not knowing ...

but my choices was for bypass .. im 31 now i wanted this when i was 24 and got almost there and funding was not in place ..

i had my gastric bypass may 8 i thought it to be the worst thing ide could of possibly ever done to my self it took me a while to come round to the idea i had put my self through all of this over food.

i was in so much pain mentally and physical cause it never went so great .. but you know what !!!

ITS THE BEST THING I EVER DID ...........

i decided on bypass cause .

1. i pick at food
2. i don't eat large meals
3.i love choc and sweet things.
4. i have no self control over what i eat.
5. i have tried every diet & pills going.

now every one of them above start with i ..
thats cause all of them was a choice a choice i was not able to take away from my self cause it was there unlike drugs drink we don't need them but food we need to live and when given an option i took it all.

so i needed a bypass cause i needed no control over what i ate and what i could have anymore. and its worked perfect for me im 7 stone down already in 3 months i feel 20 yrs old i can do all kinds i never have been able to in years lol ..

band was no good for me cause

i wanted life term .. longterm and nhs are funny about refunding
restriction was there but you need will power of steal ..

i now feel i have a life where food does not control me i eat everything i use to in the past just smaller amounts and im very happy with that i don't think about food like i use too.. i don't crave anything sweet lol and thats insane for me .. my 5 a day was

mars snicker twix flake boost ...... and what ever else i could get lol ..

i eat all veg meats fruits pastas rice everything but bread and pastry's and choc and im doing great i don't get dumping ..

i don't do fizzy drinks anymore i love my water now ..

so make sure you make the right choice for you Hun and think about your life as this isn't just for a month its for the next 50+ years Hun xx

Last edited:
Back