• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Trying to get funding

Kelly C

A little over 2 years ago I was approved for a gastric bypass operation and placed on a waiting list, something my husband was worried about, I eventually started to lose weight and cancelled the operation and went on to lose 12 stone until I reached the top end of my ideal weight range, the doctor has advised me not to lose any more weight as I should be at a healthy level except for the excess hanging skin I’ve now been left with.

I’d like to know if anyone else who has had any experience with NHS funding for surgery as it’s becoming a nightmare for me and my doctor, we’re being given different information at every point and to correspondence doesn’t seem very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Kelly.

Wow well done I do know that they wont fund skin removal unless it is exceptional circumstances there is a poster here who got it due to infections under the loose skin. Not sure if its the same for all areas though

Hi,what area are you in? You and your dr need to be clued up on your areas criteria for funding this ok.
All areas are different,once you know the criteria you need to ask yourself do I meet any of it?
For instance 1 might be infections due to the skin folds etc once you've done this you then need to ask your dr to write to your local PCT explaining it all,and also make sure he mentions that the amount of weight you have lost without the need for WLS as this can help strengthen your case.
Good luck and well done on your weight loss xxx

My PCT is South London Healthcare Trust and i am getting skin infections which is made worse by the fact i have psoriasis.
The thing that is making me most upset is that i know the PCT has funded someone for the procedure but the women will not come forward and help me.

Tried to leave a message from my phone but it didn't go through.
My PCT is south London Healthcare and i am getting infections because i have psoriasis and the loose skin is making that even worse.

Tried to leave a message from my phone but it didn't go through.
My PCT is south London Healthcare and i am getting infections because i have psoriasis and the loose skin is making that even worse.

get your dr to apply for it under exceptional circumstances also explaining why you have so much excess skin as above lost weight withought wls must be a good thing to help you along

Hi I am new here and I have just been declined surgery funding and I am in the process of understanding how to appeal, I also have lost approx 12 stones and I am still trying to tone up the only thing left is the escess skin around the stomach, chest, a little on the inner thigh and under arms..... its so depressing :( but I also cannot afford the cost of the surgery..... please keep us posted.

Hey Kelly

I'm in South London too (my op. was at St Georges). At the time the PCT was different and I was told when I got my funding that I was extremely lucky and that it was due to get even tougher to apply for the surgery. Having said that, if I can offer you any help at all in appealing, drop me a line.

Debs xx

Back