• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Unexpected effect.

carberello

Mrs 'C' ordered a Chinese last night.
Crispy salt 'n' pepper Chicken with chips and special fried rice.

She's always been slim and had a lovely figure and is one of those lucky people who seems to be able to eat anything she wants without it really effecting her weight. She's 5 ft 11 and just about 10 and a half stone.

I had a small balanced meal of carrot. potato, swede and 2 approx 1 inch squares of beef in gravy.

When Mrs C came in from the Kitchen with her plate of Chinese ( that we both used to eat about once a week) in one hand and my meal in the other, I was genuinely incredulous at the size of her meal. I wasn't sure if she was going to try to eat it or try to jump over it.
I could never attempt a meal of that size now Id had surgery.

As I marvelled at the culinary engineering and use of unnatural forces that had been employed to actually fit so much on an ordinary dinner plate, this pyramid of rice and chips and chicken, I realised for the first time since surgery how my attitude to portion size had been altered without me actually realising it or having to consciously work on it in any way.

I wasn't envious in any way or tempted to have a taste. I was completely happy in my world of firm carrots and 'tatoes.

Its a little miracle for me to be honest - a completely unexpected reaction to a slim womans portion size :eek:

A big step in changing what I thought might be deeply ingrained hard to break habits and a pointer to everything being worth it by the summer.

lol great post the same thing has happened to me a few times now i feel good eatting my small plate of food in front of people i love being in control of what i eat now and i like people seeing that it makes them proud of me and that really helps x

:)bless, thats fantastic, i hope i feel the exact same way lol because at the moment its your wifes plate that mine resembles:(

lol great post the same thing has happened to me a few times now i feel good eatting my small plate of food in front of people i love being in control of what i eat now and i like people seeing that it makes them proud of me and that really helps x

Yes you might have hit the nail on the head there Sammy. I think its the dawning of the fact t of actually having control over food rather than the food having control over my appetite that's so new and exciting.

I was absolutely made up not to be even remotely seduced by a greasy fat and carb ridden plate of empty promises.

LOL great observation. But on a more serious note I have always actually amazed by the size of takeaway portions. In my view this another example of the food industry almost encouraging over eating & waste. I remember (only day 11 post op so still can) when I ordered Indian takeaway wanting little bits of side dishes but when we ordered for 2 we had a meal for 4 from the portion sizes. I agree seeing these portions now holds no interest for me. My boyfriend had large cod & chips last week & I sat & sipped 1/2 a cup of consommé. Wasn't even tempted to 'pop' a chip in my mouth!?!

Great post ;) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

im not gonna lie i have looked at some foods and though oh i could really eat that but its only been twice once with my mums bacon sandwich in crusty bread and then my little girls crumpit with cheese but other than that ive not wanted anything its still very early for me only 4 and half weeks post opp and ill have a life time of looking at peoples food and not eatting it but ill have i longer happy life thanks to my bypass x

thats fantastic hun i can not wait to get to that point!!! i am eating alot helthier at the mo but still far too much! what a great post! xxxxxx

yeah im having problems with how fast i cant cant get used to eatting slower yet keep getting things stuck the main thing is drinks i just wanna get a drink and take a few big mouthfuls but cant i still have to sip

Yes same hear wanna gulp my water down like I used to & just sipping teaspoon of soup is quite alien.
All a post op learning process. Amazingly I still have my joy of food ( 30 years in the food industry as career). Still watching Masterchef, reading food magazines & cooking but just not wanting to eat it. Very weird feeling. Just made a batch of Wholegrain honey mustard. Great to give to family & friends & even though I will not eat it, it has given me something to do today & will give me great pleasure to give it away & see the smiles on their faces.
Keep up the good work post Opper & good luck all you pre Oppers & hope you join us soon.

Its funny that now we look at what other people are eating and think... omg did i really eat all that... i was in ikea with my daughter the other week.. and we ordered in the restaurant meatballs and chips... i had a child portion.. 5 meatballs.. ate those and about 6 chips... and a guy was at the next table with his family... he had the same but adult portion... he ate his... then finished off what both his kids left and that of his wifes... i thought omg how can he do that?? then reality hit me and i realised that was once me! im so happy just being able to eat my little bit of food now. xx

its funny u say you like cooking still coz im cooking everyday loads of food that i cant eat then calling friends and family up to come and get it never really did it before coz i would always eat what i cooked but now i get more joy out of cooking and not eatting if myself this opp is so funny its not only my belly thats changed my head is so very differant too

I agree with the OP and others...I am in constant awe now at how much "normal" people can pack away at a sitting. And yes, that used to be me too! Portion size was never my strong point!

Know what you mean. Coz I'm actually a qualified food scientist I have been researching the science behind it & it is incredibly interesting albeit still in it's infancy in the big sphere of medicine. Yeah I know I 'm a geek LOL
Can't seem to fully understand the strictly medical side of things vs the psychological side but still researching. Sad I know but at the moment I have time on hand post op recovery.
Doing one of my famous spotted dicks tomorrow for my mum & dad. Not interested in eating it - how weird?

Its one of those things that hits me every time I serve a meal for the family.Where the hell they put it all I dont know.Makes me feel ill watching them.It is so liberating being in control.
I have crumpet with cheese on but just one as opposed to the three I could of eaten before!
Also dont you think chippy/takeaway portions are huge anyway?I get one takeaway and that does my hubby and son,I have a diddy taste of curry and rice.
Plus I must look more ladylike when Im eating now instead of pigging it down!

Absolutely agree. This has been such a good post thread. Keep up the great work guys. I'm enjoying myself. LOL

Back