• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vitamin D Deficiency

Stellap

At goal at last.....
Hi, my vit levels have been normal since my op (a year ago) but my last blood test revealed a slight deficiency in Vitamin D. Does anyone else have this and what do you do about it? I take my multivit which has vitamin D in it and also my Adcal has some D in. Any info gratefully received.

Hi Stella, besides the experienced advice of post oppers... this may be of some interest...

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Vitamin-D-Deficiency.htm

Love and hugs xxx

p.s. the article says that more than half of the UK may be Vitamin D deficient... surprising... and it's so important for the joints and bones... certainly something to be aware of Stella

I think if you read Tendersage's diary she has just been tested for lack of vitamin d and mentions the side effects of this.....hope this helps xxx

I dont know if I had the same and dont know if this is what its for. But I have calcichew d3 forte tablets dont know if anyone else knows if they are for vit d too.

Jo
xx

Hi, my vit levels have been normal since my op (a year ago) but my last blood test revealed a slight deficiency in Vitamin D. Does anyone else have this and what do you do about it? I take my multivit which has vitamin D in it and also my Adcal has some D in. Any info gratefully received.

Hi Stella,

My Vit D is very low. I was advised by Tamara one of the Bariatric Nurses at Homerton to increase Adcal, from 2 a day to 4 a day.

Try giving them a ring if concerned.

Pinky

I was vit D defecient preop when I had my preop op blood tests. I take calcichew with D3. Not sure what my post op levels are yet willhave my blood tests in a couple of weeks.

You might need a higher dose, or to get yourself out in the sun! Sunlight produces it in your skin. I rarely go out and am very pale so dont produce enough anyway without being postop.

Not everyone will experience side effects so you may not notice any.

As others have said the major source of vit D is from the sun, which in this country at this time of the year is lacking. It is also one of the fat soluble vitamins, so with our weight loss etc we are more prone. As long as you're taking your supplements as prescribed and manage to get some sun it will hopefully rectify itself. I'm not sure if taking it with orange juice etc (vit C), helps the absorption or not?

Rebirthx

I was very Vitamin D3 deficient before surgery. Just like zns & rebirth say, Vitamin D3 is synthesized in the skin when one is out in the sunlight. Obviously, it's the wrong time of year now, but it's recommended to get out in the sun 3 - 4 times a wk for between 5 - 20 mins at a time. Fatty fish & cod-liver oils & mushrooms are a good natural source. I also take Calchichew which contains high levels of calcium, plus D3 which is needed for calcium uptake xxx

Thanks everyone for your input - I am on the Adcal now and try to get out in the sun (what little of it we have) once a day. I haven't noticed any side effects of it but will keep an eye on it now. I feel as fit as a fiddle to be honest so am not too worried. Thanks everyone x

I too am vitamin D deficient and was advised to take a supplement containing 800-1000mg of vit D as well as my usual vitamin.
I got mine from Morrisons and feel fine x

Back