• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vitamin Supplements

Hi, All,
I'm just wondering why some post op people get their vitamins supplements on prescription and others don't. Does is depend on the hospital/surgeon when the op was done, or is it anything to do with whether the op was nhs or private?
I can't help wondering if those that are issued on prescription might be better balanced for the individual's needs than those bought over the counter.
Do those people who buy over the counter get any advice/guidance from the doc about what to buy/take?
Thanks

Good question Sue, I suppose cost might be a factor for some people. Those entitled to free prescriptions would obviously be wise to get their doctor to prescribe everything that is needed, where as those needing to pay for their prescriptions can probably buy what they need for less than the £7 odd an item it would cost if prescribed.

At WM, the post-op diet booklet given to bariatric patients advises Centrum or Sanatogen if purchased over the counter. They must be chewable.

I am currently taking Bassett's One a day very berry flavour.

where did you buy those Red? I looked for chewable last time i was in boots but could only see the kiddies ones

I get mine off the GP each month and as I have a pre payment script it covers the cost...I think its down to your GP overall...everything I have asked for I have been given no questions asked. Mr Ammori did send an extensive letter to them outlining the medicines I would need and for how long etc which helped....although my GP did mis read one item at the start...hope this helps...xx

i have the bassets soft and chewy berry ones too from boots. They are in a red/purple box, with everyday health on them, and they are really nice - i look forward to them on this pre-op diet! lol

they are on special in tesco at the mo £2 a box. think it was Shelbell (could be wrong) who did mention there are no minerals in them so make sure you are getting mineral supplments aswell

Sam, I got three months supply when I was getting my stuff together for hospital. I got two from Wilkinsons and one from Tesco. I suck them like a loon and then chomp til they are virtually nothing and swallow. No probs for me. I'll show you a box later xx

vitamins

hi just read your thread and wanted to say that after a couple of months it shoud be fine to take vitamins in tablet form for most people, anyway when i approched my gp about vitamins after my op he looked up what he could prescribe and there were two vitamin and mineral suppluments.one called ketovite and i forget the name of the other,after contacting the consultant surgeon he said either one was fine i think if you approch your gp then most will be happy to supply vitamins what you must understand is most gp's know so little about bypass surgury its quite new to them aswell

I am prescribed FORCEVAL as per my surgeon's instructions. It covers all the bases of vit & minerals needed post bypass. I have heard good things about the type that Red mentioned for otc, many people go that route. However, under no circumstances should you resort to children's chewables/liquids. I have read several articles about the vitamin & mineral deficiencies in post-bypass patients that have been caused by not taking supplements or by taking children's vits. Please speak to your surgeon's team when in doubt. It is sooooo important in the long run that you get the supplements you need.

Nic;)

Hi, when I went for meeting with bariatric nurse and dietician we were told to but Bassetts Raspberry flavoured chewable as they are multivitamins and mineral.There are some Bassetts that are only vitamins but the raspberry ones have minerals as well. Hope this helps
xx Gaynor xx

Hi, Nic,
Because your vits are prescribed have you avoided the hair loss etc. that can accompany wls?

Hi WW, no I have had some hair loss but to be honest I really can't tell by looking. I only know it has increased when I clean my hair brush or the shower drain, lol. I also have been taking the zinc & selenium (again prescribe by my surgeon) since about 2 months post-op so maybe that has helped me. A good side effect of all the supplements is that my hair looks and feels really healthy as well as my skin.

HTH,
Nic

WW i use Bassetts Active Life these are chewable and for adults, available from boots or Holland & Barretts. You want an adult one not a childs vit/mineral tablet. These were recommended to me by my dietitian

Auntie Bee, I get some from asda their own make and you chew them, I checked with dietician when I was first banded and they were enough. They are lemon/lime flavour and are a god send as i can't swallow tablets without difficulty.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
Has anyone been refused vits/minerals/protein drinks on prescription?

I had probs with my doctor prescribing me vits on prescription, I managed to get my vit b12 injections but I buy myself everything else, a berroca and a multi vit and mineral tablet a day, no hair more loss and I feel great. The berroca does not contain all the things I need or I would be happy on just that!

Back