• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss for reward - nhs workers. Thoughts?

pinxster999

I don't know if my other post got through? But I wondered what people's opinions were about the news today that the health minister wants nhs staff to have rewards to lose weight as they are portraying a bad image?

As an nhs worker and overweight in unsure where I stand. In my role I never speak about healthy living to my patients. My work is what is important to help my patients as with most professions.

I have only had one incident where I was called fat by a patients relative but that was not in regards to any advice I was giving him.

I do think it's the work you do not what you look like.

Any thoughts would be interesting to hear.

Thanks T x

Maybe the health minister should work a week in a hospital and see how they feel after being run ragged and not getting 5 minutes to themselves.
People are overweight in every occupation, apart from jockeys!!

im a staff nurse in the nhs.I have had to give health advice but try to avoid it as I can hardly say anything myself! I dont think rewards r a good idea but maybe like a staff slimming world to fit with our horrible shifts. also we tend to have odd eating times which doesnt help. it tends to be grab and go! x

I too work in nhs I work permanent nights I think shifts definitely affect your metabolism ? lack of sleep definitely doesn't help

haha. iv been off for nearly a yr having a baby. be a shock going back nxt week.but im very lucky.my hubby works 6 days a week so I will only be doing one night shift a week x

I am in agreement with you Pinxter. It should be down to your work not your size. I don't know how I would feel if somebody who was fat gave advice about nutrition but I would rather she was a good nurse. When I had MRSA there was such a difference in the care I received. I had to have iv antibiotics for 2-3 days. Some nurses would clean each piece of equipment when they had to change the bags and others didn't bother cleaning it at all. Some nurses said that I should not leave the room whilst others said I could walk around hospital. I know which nurses were giving me the best care and it had nothing with size. Do nurses have to have cancer before they can talk to patients? In fact, I would rather someone who knows what it is like having a weight problem than a skinny Minny who thinks if people would just eat less, they wouldn't have a problem!! Someone who realises that weight gain has little to do with hunger but brings all manner of things into the mix.

Debbie

Back