• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Where in the process am I?

Hi Brian , first I would like to say welcome.
Next I'm with everyone on here call your hospital to find out where you are regarding funding.
I started my wls back in march 2009 infact before some others here started but have now completed their surgery.
I went to my gp then I chose my hospital via choose & book with the list I had, from there I had the group seminar a month after that had my first appt with surgeon who told me yes I was right for Bypass which he said he would do but first they would be appling for funding.
Whilst waiting for funding my test started to come through, whilst having these test some of my friends here who started a bit behind me were also having test ( by the way these friends of mine here were at the same hospital too). My friends plus some others freinds here who were at different hospitals were hearing they had got funding! But me I still had heard nothing :( I had completed ally test by November 2000 with the sleep apnoea being the last one .
I was very nervous now & too nervous to call so let it go by right until the new yr.
When I finally did pluck the courage to call boy did I
have a shock Coming my way, I was told they were having big problems with getting my funding as
apparently I had picked the wrong hospital for me
to get funding. So they said due to me completing test they would do all they could but I might have
to be transferred to one of the two hospitals I should of had; plus this process could take
quite some time.

I was shocked by this & of course would rather stay
somewhere I knew & had got use to.
One day in a conversation with the surgeons
secretary I mentioned the choose & book list I had been given & read out the list I had been given .
All of a sudden after thinking it was all black there was light.
The secretary wanted me to send copies of
the list
through, she explained that I had excellent chance of getting funding & staying where I was, was I pleased or what!!
Basicly it was my gp's fault who gave me the list, apparently not all gps are trained or clued up In wls.
The pct after a bit of a struggle finally had to
say yes to my funding which I got 4th August this yr
more than a yr after I had started.
I'm still waiting for surgery though, my surgeon was on annual leave all of August to
the first weekend in sept, then he was very busy soon as he was back.
I was then ill & had surgery for something else & still waiting to complete this surgery with more surgery.

Best of luck with the rest of your journey .
Keep us posted .
Hugs xx
(tomorrow is the day of my surgery)
I then go to see my wls consultant on 25th October this month :) I'm very excited this one is to arrange all prep test.

Last edited:
I've just phoned the hospital and the secretary says that I am consented for a sleeve Gastrectomy but she didn't know anything about the funding side of things and that I should speak to my GP. So that's my next port of call, mind you the time it takes to get to see your GP these days I may have had the op and hit my goal weight!

it's interesting to see how so many people post op say they just can't eat any more because they feel full. I've not had the feeling of being full for so long I'm not sure I'd even know it any more. I've just eaten a jacket potato the size of Basingstoke with cheese and beans and whilst I'm not hungry I don't feel full either.....or do I?

good luck tomorrow purplefluffything

I've just phoned the hospital and the secretary says that I am consented for a sleeve Gastrectomy but she didn't know anything about the funding side of things and that I should speak to my GP. So that's my next port of call, mind you the time it takes to get to see your GP these days I may have had the op and hit my goal weight!

it's interesting to see how so many people post op say they just can't eat any more because they feel full. I've not had the feeling of being full for so long I'm not sure I'd even know it any more. I've just eaten a jacket potato the size of Basingstoke with cheese and beans and whilst I'm not hungry I don't feel full either.....or do I?

good luck tomorrow purplefluffything

I remember the days pre op when i could eat a big meal and then manage pudding after it. I never thought i'd feel full... I have just had a piece of toast with 1/2 a tin of beans on it and while i don't feel full like pre op xmas dinner stuffed to the top i do feel like i've had a good meal and there is no need to top it up! It's good to know that a small meal does the job now :) xx

That's what I was hoping for :)

And that is what you shall get :D
Before this i had no idea what feeling full felt like and could eat eat eat EAT!!
Dont ever TALK to me about beans and cheese, I LOVE beans and cheese - i cant wait to have it again!! :p
But now i feel physically sick if i eat too much (but never actually being sick) so i guess thats a good indicator ;)

xxxxxxx

Thomas, I was a BIG portion eater, I could eat 6 well stuffed fajitas ( big ones) no problem and still find room for a pudding.
These days I struggle to eat a whole egg! It's SOOOOOOO cool!

But full feels different now, and takes some getting used to. It's not the same as before. Actually full can feel painful now, if I overeat!

But it's SO worth it. :D

even though you no longer feel hungry do you still feel the need to eat something just because it's there?
That and big portions I think is quite a bit of my problem. If there are no "nice" things in the cupboard I don't go looking for them I just do without. but if they are there then I eat them.
Neither she who must be obeyed or my youngest son who still at home are overweight, and it's not fair on them to say we're not having any nice things in because I'm too weak willed to avoid them.

even though you no longer feel hungry do you still feel the need to eat something just because it's there?
That and big portions I think is quite a bit of my problem. If there are no "nice" things in the cupboard I don't go looking for them I just do without. but if they are there then I eat them.
Neither she who must be obeyed or my youngest son who still at home are overweight, and it's not fair on them to say we're not having any nice things in because I'm too weak willed to avoid them.

Believe me, you wont manage them. If you force something in just because its there you will vomit. I managed half a cheese sandwich today and my god did i just want to eat the other half, but i knew that if i did i would vomit, and im not completely brilliant with sick so gave the rest to someone else. lol, my brother is being a dustbin at the moment hehe!

I wouldnt believe it pre-op but you do change your thinking post-op. xxxx

Thanks Emma Louise,
I guess that's what I was hoping to hear, the thought of going through the surgery and then still being able to eat ridiculous amounts of food probably worried me more than the thought of having the surgery!

Hi and welcome, as you're probably aware different parts of the country do things in different ways.
My GP refered me on 18th August 2009, I recieved funding on 1st November 2009 and had my surgery 13th January 2010.
Hope this helps and all the best to u on your journey xxx

Thanks Emma Louise,
I guess that's what I was hoping to hear, the thought of going through the surgery and then still being able to eat ridiculous amounts of food probably worried me more than the thought of having the surgery!

Well, here's another piece of evidence (if you needed it ;)) Yesterday i had a boiled egg for breakfast and had a piece of toast with it (couldnt finish it though!) then about 3/4 hours later i thought "Ill have some cheese and beans!!" so had one piece of toast with 4 tbsp of beans and a grating of cheese on top. I managed about 4 forkfuls before i thought "uh oh" and ran to the bathroom where i threw up everything i had just eaten and was sore for the rest of the day so stuck to liquids. I think it was because: 1, i had too big mouthfuls 2, i ate it too quick and 3, i had it too soon to breakfast. and 4, i didnt chew chew chew enough!!

I will know for next time :cool:

I planning on having a beautiful piece of lemon sole for my tea so am not eating much heavy stuff during today, just yogurt. I love lemon sole, i'm determined that it is staying down :D xxx

As daft as it sounds I suppose that's good news really. I'm trying to get myself used to smaller portions now so that when the time comes It won't be too much of a shock, but your experience has certainly put my mind at rest.

Enjoy the Lemon Sole

As daft as it sounds I suppose that's good news really. I'm trying to get myself used to smaller portions now so that when the time comes It won't be too much of a shock, but your experience has certainly put my mind at rest.

Enjoy the Lemon Sole

It stayed down :D:D:D

I'm so pleased!!!!

I had a good sized piece of lemon sole covered in gravy and also managed a garlic dough ball and a bit of potato and feel great!!! :p xxxx

My GP refered me on 14th May 10, I recieved funding on 25th June and my surgery is on the 10th November 2010.

Back