• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

10 weeks in. My story

Good on you for avoiding the Doreen! lol

Breaking the news to mum.

I decide that I wanted to keep my surgery private and to date I have shared with only 5 people, one of those is my 80 year old mum. She's a darling and I know she was worried about my weight but other than a "and what size are you now babe?" she kept very quiet. She is alway anxious whenever I am ill and a real worrier so I decided not to tell her prior to the surgery.

Anyway post op and having spent 3 days avoiding her in our village (she thought I was at work), darting in and out of shops, browsing things I'd never use , although I did like the hessian shopping bag with "I'm an old bag from Kent" written on it from the local cook shop, it came the day to tell her.

I'm a black or white person, no fluffy side to me so I just came out with it. "So mum I just want to tell you that I've been unhappy with my weight for quite some time and I've decided to do something about it; ... actually I've already done it, ....I've had surgery." Her face dropped. "Oh no, you haven't had that THING done have you?" Now that could have meant anything from a sex change to a boob job with my mum, but I knew she meant the band as that would be the only WL surgery that she'd have heard of. "No mum, I haven't" "Well thank goodness for that as that's a terrible thing, things you hear about people who have had it, that's a relief". Now I'm not sure where mum gets her information about such things but I suspect it's daytime TV, the Daily Mail or Woman's Own so she has a very limited and bias view so banders please excuse her. "So what did you have done then?" "Well" I said and took a deep breath. "I've had a gastric sleeve, that is where they reduce the size of your stomach so you can't eat so much". I breathed a bit more " I did loads of research, found the right surgeon and had it done". The words went in but the face remained blank, much like when I ask my teenage son to tidy his bedroom.

A few days later I saw her again. This time she had clearly gone on her iPad and looked the surgery up. She a bit of an iPad stalker is my mum. Google Street view, estate agents for house plans and photos, Facebook and other sites she finds. I swear she's working for the silver surfers version of MI5! Her lips pursed up, and she did that look that only mums can give. I braced myself.... "Well it's a bit extreme, but you're a sensible girl and I just want you to be happy". "Now where's your ironing?"

God I love my mum.

This is brilliant - keep us updated Spitfire :) x

Love it!! X

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Oh,,,,just stumbled on this,,,ha ha ha,,,,,even better than buying my OK mag,,,,,so blumming funny,,,you should do stand up ! Good luck with your journey xxxx

This instalment is about the dreaded BM (bowel movement). Those of a delicate nature skip this please.

I previously was a kinda regular girl if you get my gist. Helped by probiotics, going was never a problem for me. In fact I often wondered if I had IBS as I often had severe cramping followed by an anxious run to the bathroom. Something must of happened in my childhood, now blanked out to protect my adult self but I can't dump in other people's toilets. Not at work, restaurants, friends houses, pubs, the list is endless. Instead I clam up, keep it in until I get home. Toilets in hotel rooms are different, I take ownership of them enjoying snapping the sanitary strip off the seat, using that first sheet with the ends folded to a point. I digress.......

So post op the hospital sent me back with a bottle of Senakot and instructions to take some every night and the dietician told me to drink water, sip water, drink more water..... The first couple of weeks were fine, I would have a very small BM every couple of days and all was hunky dory. However weeks later when I was eating a bit more and I started back at work I stopped the Senakot. I just couldn't risk being on the 6:45 am train to London and needing to go because with Senakot you just can't hold it in and then there was my toilet phobia. So Senakot free and not drinking all the fluids that I should have, I got the dreaded constipation. I'm sure you have all been there but for me it was like trying to poop a melon. There I was red in the face, magazine in my lap and my husband shouting through the door "Don't strain yourself", "Too bloody late for that" I yelled.

After that episode I hit the Internet looking for solutions. Do you know here is a device called a Squatty Potty? Please look it up (there's a video too) up but basically it's a stool which raises your feet to a height that loosens the puborectalis muscle "creating a straight passageway into the rectum". It says it "ensures quick and comfortable elimination".

I'll have some of that I thought, but I'd never live it down from the men in my life if I bought one, so the next time I had constipation there I was walking around the house looking for anything that could take its place. First thing I tried was the laundry basket. With knees up around my ears it looked nothing like the picture on the Internet and was virtually impossible to stay on the toilet seat, next a shoe box; far too low, then I tried two shoes boxes; just right. Hurrah I hear you say. Err well no because I actually needed two shoe boxes per foot to get to the right position. Even I thought that was preposterous and returned the boxes to the wardrobe and went in search of the Senakot.

Another time I made the mistake of running out of my amber liquid, so it being late at night, I scoured the house looking for another product from the massive pharmaceutical collection we have amassed over the years. I found a bottle that I knew hubby had used a while back and took a huge gulp knowing that in the morning there would be relief. The following morning I was full of hope (and everything else I'd eaten recently) but no show. Confused I checked the bottle and found that I had actually taken an Osmotic compound which is actually a stool softener and works over 2 - 3 days!!! In panic, drinking loads of water, I rushed down to the chemist and got some Senakot (A stimulant laxative which stimulate the bowel and this helps to push stools along.). I necked it directly from the bottle still parked outside the chemist hoping that relief would come soon. Later that day it happened, big time but a blessed relief and no shoe boxes required.

All, please take heed from my sorry tale and drink plenty of water and check your laxative compound. Your bum will love you for it. X

I previously was a kinda regular girl if you get my gist. Helped by probiotics, going was never a problem for me. In fact I often wondered if I had IBS as I often had severe cramping followed by an anxious run to the bathroom. Something must of happened in my childhood, now blanked out to protect my adult self but I can't dump in other people's toilets. Not at work, restaurants, friends houses, pubs, the list is endless. Instead I clam up, keep it in until I get home. Toilets in hotel rooms are different, I take ownership of them enjoying snapping the sanitary strip off the seat, using that first sheet with the ends folded to a point. I digress.......

lol I am exactlyl the same. I call it a 'diva bowel' - needs optimum conditions to perform under.

Every year we're at a festival for a week and every year my bowel throws a strop and flounces off for 7 days. My other half, at least once a day, exclaims "But I don't understand how you can keep eating when you're not pooing - where's it all going????"

lol I am exactlyl the same. I call it a 'diva bowel' - needs optimum conditions to perform under. Every year we're at a festival for a week and every year my bowel throws a strop and flounces off for 7 days. My other half, at least once a day, exclaims "But I don't understand how you can keep eating when you're not pooing - where's it all going????"
"Diva bowel". Love it.

Still waiting for the next episode xx

Thanks violet angel. Thought I might be boring people but will work on it this week. So many stories.....

Can't wait!!!!!

Just need to share where I am today. It is exactly 15 weeks since my gastric sleeve. I have gone from 32 BMI to 24.2 and have lost 22.5kg (112% of my excess weight) and moved from dress size 18 to 14 and that fits quite loosely. I've still got my goal of size 12 to reach but I am confident that I can get there. It hasn't always be an easy process and I've had lows too but 15 weeks on it wouldn't change a thing. Soooooo. Chuffed. Xx

And so you should be chuffed..!

Congratulations Spitfire, that's amazing :)

Just need to share where I am today. It is exactly 15 weeks since my gastric sleeve. I have gone from 32 BMI to 24.2 and have lost 22.5kg (112% of my excess weight) and moved from dress size 18 to 14 and that fits quite loosely. I've still got my goal of size 12 to reach but I am confident that I can get there. It hasn't always be an easy process and I've had lows too but 15 weeks on it wouldn't change a thing. Soooooo. Chuffed. Xx

Spitfire - I'm on the edge making a decision and you are an inspiration. To have made that decision at bmi 32 and not have regretted it ...and had such success with it within 15 weeks. You should be do proud of yourself.

Last edited:

What an amazing achievement!!!

Food - So here's my experience with food after my gastric sleeve.

My prior relationship with food was to eat whatever was put in front of me and I'm pretty sure that came from never being allowed to leave food on a plate as a child. I'm sure mum meant well but the result was that there wasn't a food I didn't like or wouldn't try. Looking back, I was always skinny whenever I was single but once I got into a relationship the weight would pile on with both greed and contentment.

Anyway I knew things would change once I had the sleeve as I was in the interesting position where my Hubbie had also had a gastric sleeve but 3 years earlier and so I had lived through his post sleeve food experience. I was very lucky to have his support but in some ways our experiences have been so different. For example if he overfills he needs to sit upright or move around; if I overfill I need to have a lay on the bed or the sofa (never easy in the office..)

Anyway post op I relied on Danio yogurts and UFit drinks both high in protein and easy to take. I still rely on those as my "goto" foods. Ramekin dishes of small portions of cod in butter sauce, cottage pie, chunky soups, tuc biscuits (with the cheese paste - I did say I would eat anything). I kept away from restaurants but did have Sunday lunch with the family, my mum trying not to look appalled at the tiny piece of chicken and sad collection of vegetables. At at about week 6 post op we flew off for a short sunshine break. Now that was a challenge food wise but I managed by having a few mouthful of children's portions and at most restaurants even got the colouring book and crayons or toy that came with them :) Chinese or Japanese was always a good choice too as I could pick around the food but once again the portions were tiny, tiny. It was there I also had my first alcohol for at least 8 weeks and although I only had a couple of drinks a night it went down very well indeed with no ill effects. In fact the only time I was ill was when I pushed too far with a cream and strawberry scone. What was I thinking? That afternoon I was definitely put firmly in my place by the sleeve.

Since then I have tried to slowly introduce food although my portions are still so tiny they don't even fill half a side plate. Chicken breast is a no no. I find it chew it until it becomes a fibrous mush in my mouth, pretty sure I could plaster a wall with that, but I can eat small small pieces of chicken thigh as it seems more moist. Medium rare fillet steak is also another Yes food, about the size of 2 matchboxes thinly sliced but cod in butter sauce now goes the same way as chicken breast. Cheese good, cold cooked salmon good, hot cooked salmon bad - go figure ? I do drink alcohol but now two glasses of wine and soda with ice are my limit and I only tend to drink at weekends.

I did a ask my surgeon about the size of my stomach and she said the size of a small banana and now I try and visualise that amount of food when I think about eating but I do think it eat much less than that.

My social life has changed, meals out with friends are rare and I don't get rat @*$ed any more but you know what I'm happy and it WAS all worth while and as for hubby and I, well we are cheap dates!!

Back