• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

10 year old boy has bypass

I think it should be mentioned again that this boy had a VSG (sleeve) operation. It's nearest equivalent would be like having a permanent band I suppose, though it is not reversible as the larger part of the stomach has been removed. What has to be remembered is that with the sleeve there are no malabsorption issues, so his health shouldn't be affected long term - all it does is limit the quantity he can eat at one sitting. Of course it doesn't however limit how many sitting you have in a day, or what they consist of, so it is possible to "eat round" a sleeve, as it is with a band. And this is where I think the parents still have a huge part to play, as they guide him to make healthy choices and to limit between meal snacks. Was it ethical - well, not for me to say, but Dr Baltazar is a well-known and reputable bariatric surgeon, who obviously made his decision based on all the facts, which of course we don't know.

Back