• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS doctor disapproving of weight loss surgery abroad :-S

Astraste

Obviously I was expecting some sort of disapproval but I requested a call back today to get some information out of them about stitch removal, exercise after surgery, doctors notes and as I'm getting a hernia operation at some point early this year (haven't been given a date yet) and I wanted to know if this wls would affect that.
The doctor was soooooo rude to me on the phone. I know he disapproved but honestly I got as far as asking about the doctors notes before I lost all train of thought because of his mannerisms. He refuses to give me a doctors notes because he said 'it wasn't life or death' and he said that if I wanted anymore information I would have to ask my surgeon. Its like just because I have chosen to get my surgery abroad that it is a personal attack on the nhs. I feel like calling them back and reminding them about how many times I've been to them with all my ailments due to my weight and no help given by them. Most doctors, midwives and health visitors have made me feel like sh*t in the past because of my weight, and now im trying to do something about it, they are making me feel like sh*t again. :( Can't win.

Ignore them hun your doing what is best for you at the end of the day. After the Op book in to see your gp they cant not refuse you a sick note as and when you need it. Good Luck. x

Do you mean a doctors note post weight loss surgery - like rickysmrs says as and when you need it they can't refuse you as you will be in no fit state to go to work. So don't worry about it for now. Just deal with it when it happens :) x x

When I've been watching wls programmes they put dissolvable stitches in - so are you sure you need stitch removal?

Your bariatric team abroad should be able to give you advice in relation to exercise and of course there is various generic advice available on google. When I asked about it I was told to start exercising (lightly) as soon as possible and there were some restrictions for a number of weeks about straining/heavy lifting but I can't remember the guidelines now but I can ask again for you. I am sure they will be on google somewhere though and someone on here can also probably tell you. Of course if you have any problems or complications the guidelines won't apply and you'll probably have to go to your GP for advice :)

Last edited:
My doctor is so patronising and condescending :( And there are only two doctors in my surgery and I have already changed once... :/ x x

If the hernia repair involves another general anaesthetic and incisions, think carefully about having it all done together hun xx

My doctors are fantastic even the nurses are all encouraging and waiting for my op date couldnt of asked for a better surgery. They are great with my health probs too. :)

Ask for a different doctor and put a complaint about him on the NHs choices website. Honestly who do they think they are. We pay their salaries. Makes me so cross.

I don't think this just applies to going abroad, I had mine done privately in this country. I had an issue with one of my wounds post up. It was leaking so much viscous fluid that I was soaking through pads and pads of kitchen roll, after using up all my extra bandage. Unfortunately it was a Sunday so I had to go see the out of hours GP at the local hospital. He was incredibly rude when he found out I went private, asking me what was wrong with the NHS etc. After he managed to stop the fluid and a nurse redressed me I told him the problem with the NHS was that no offered me any help for my weight apart from telling me to get a bike (I couldn't walk let alone ride a bike) and giving me some hypnosis CD's. He said well why didn't I ask for help, I told him I did a thousand times and in the end I had to find a way to take matters into my own hands - by that point I had a BMI of 69, blood pressure so high I had petechial hemorrhaging happening often in both eyes, pre diabetic, acid reflux, couldn't walk and severely depressed. Some of us just slip through the system and we have to take it in to our own hands. I think it is terrible when doctors don't support us for it really because that is a 12,500 grand op I saved the NHS. I shall be paying for it for quite some time and I was lucky I had some support too. I have a very supportive doctor now, so if yours is that bad then you should definitely look into finding one who will support you. For every bad doctor out there, there are good ones too. Just like anything I guess. Best of luck and I would just say what was said earlier, consider having the hernia done at the same time if poss as 2 GA's in one year is a lot to put yourself through x

When I approached mine for help and asking about wls, they laughed. hence why I went private and had it done in this country so I had the full follow up and after care that I needed as I knew that I couldn't rely on my doctors surgery or my doctors for further help or support.

I think if we save the NHS money by funding our own op privately - here or abroad (and consequently save the NHS money in the future by reducing our dependency on the NHS with co-morbidities) the very least they can do is offer aftercare :mad: x x

I think regardless of whether you have paid or not we deserve to be treated with respect, dignity and kindness. And any health professional who doesn't do that should be ashamed of themselves.

For the extra cost of 100 Euro, its worth having the hernia op. Having any surgery has serious risks, personally I wouldn't want to risk myself twice if I didn't have too.

I work for the NHS, and we do get a bit defensive of it. But when it come to Metabolic surgeries, most Docs aren't that clued up. Dont take it to heart. Having said that, if you do not receive professional and impartial treatment you have the right to complain.

Back