• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2 months post-op..Gym time

MissCurves

I'm 2 months post-op(RNY) and have lost 55 lbs/4 stone(about). Even though I bearly eat, and have a stricture, so when I do eat I bring it up again, I have been on a stall for like 3 weeks or so. I feel like I need to get in the gym.

Today I went to the local YMCA gym, and got my membership. Not only "exercise" classes but I will also be doing Yoga,Zumba dance classes and play Volleyball in addition to strength training.

I figure that because alot is exercise in disguise(dance & sports) I won't get burnt out and want to quit, because I love doing it. My Question is when is it to much exercise?

Here is a ruff schedule I planned for myself..Some of the classes are time spaced out, but I wrote them in because I really want to take it.

Monday
9:25am-10:25 Toning class
10:30am-11:30 Yoga

6-7pm Zumba-dance

Tuesday’s
9:25-10:25 Groove-dance
11:00-11:45 Aqua toning-swim

Wednesday
9:25-10:25 Toning class
11:05-12 aqua fitness

8:30pm-9:55 Volleyball

Thursday

7:00pm-7:45pm Aqua boot camp(Adv class)

Friday

9:00-10:00am Zumba dance
10am-11 Pilates(beginners)

Saturday
9:15-10:25 Step toning class
10:30-11:30 Toning class

Sunday- OFF
2-6pm Open Gym Adults & Teens(time with the kids)

Last edited:
Don't do too much!

Hi, I would say what you have put here is way too much, not only physically but psychologically too.

You will burn out way too fast, get injured and generally beat yourself up if you don't complete all,of this week in/week out.

Great to do a toning class followed by yoga but no need to go back for Zumba in the evening!! You've done more than enough! At least 2 rest days a week and listen to your body, it will tell you when you need to rest if you just listen.
If you do all those classes YOU WILL GET INJURED and then you won't be able to do anything.

It takes a deficit of 1750 calories to lose half a lb, start by aiming to burn that many calories over 5 days training and slowly build upto 3500 cals burned over 5 days. A long walk burns cals so it doesn't have to be too punishing.
I use the Fitness Pal App to record calories in and calories burned, it's fantastic.

I hope all that helps and makes some sense?

Good luck and enjoy
Jacqui xx

I can't imagine you'll have the energy to do all that if you're not eating much. I would say a class a day max but I'm sure you'll find what works for you. I'm 10 months post op and have only recently started full on exercise, I do 5 hours a week in classes and walking on top and that's enough for me! Xx

I agree with 67jax, I think it's too much and you will end up with an injury. Why don't you mix things up and try something for a few weeks and see if you like it. I love classes and in particular Zumba as although I burn a lot of calories its a hell of a lot of fun too. I can do two hours of zumba but I have a rest day in between. I normally exercise 5 days a week, having a rest day Saturday and Wednesday

Have you already been exercising at all?

love the idea of family gym time too, both my children love going with me and we go to a family zumba class which they both love (3 and 15)

@67jax Thank you Jacqui for the advise!! I will take a couple days off.Your right I did it on purpose to have the classes then low impact/relaxing classes after. I really wanted to work out in the AM. The reason I was going back was because they don't Zumba in the AM, and that was a dance class that I REALLY wanted to take, knowing that I am very good at it.. and it's so much fun not just work. I will rework this schedule to include my must have classes.

@NT1977 I was always active even when I was fat. Except the the last 40lbs I gained(I held onto it for 2 years). I was only 300 lbs for approximately 2 1/2 years... I was 250-260lbs and I downhill ski,go tubing on the mountain, swim like crazy, bike ride and play sports ect.. at 300lbs these became impossible to do. Walking 3 city blocks was unbearable. So now I'm back to 250, I feel like I can do it all again, and get back to my active self.

@tealovingsleever Surprisingly lack of energy is not a problem for me at all. You guys are right I should take it down to MAX 4-5 days a week.

Thanks everyone :)

Good idea with the exercise because I believe it helps with loss or saggy skin. But I hope u do it in moderation, as not to hurt yourself or loss more calories than what you take.

Hi, I would say what you have put here is way too much, not only physically but psychologically too.

You will burn out way too fast, get injured and generally beat yourself up if you don't complete all,of this week in/week out.

Great to do a toning class followed by yoga but no need to go back for Zumba in the evening!! You've done more than enough! At least 2 rest days a week and listen to your body, it will tell you when you need to rest if you just listen.
If you do all those classes YOU WILL GET INJURED and then you won't be able to do anything.

It takes a deficit of 1750 calories to lose half a lb, start by aiming to burn that many calories over 5 days training and slowly build upto 3500 cals burned over 5 days. A long walk burns cals so it doesn't have to be too punishing.
I use the Fitness Pal App to record calories in and calories burned, it's fantastic.

I hope all that helps and makes some sense?

Good luck and enjoy
Jacqui xx

What utter rubbish

You have no idea of the physical capacity of the OP, and unless you have a degree in clinical psychology what on earth gives you the brass neck to question the lady's mental strength?

This is a tough schedule, I'd like to see more resistance training in there but that's just me. I did Spin class (max intensity) three days a week and lifted heavy on three days. On Saturday I rode my bike for fifty miles, this was also considered way to much by some but I coped with it without injuring myself because I warmed up properly, and performed the exercises with good form, then warmed down properly at the end

So again unless your really a sports scientist in disguise where do you get off telling the OP that she will injure herself?

If you think you can do this then good for you. I hope you've had someone who knows their arse from the elbow look at it for you and taken their advice as to whether it is an ok regime for your current level of fitness. I like that you have some sport in there not just exercise as this keeps interest levels really high. All credit to you for getting of your arse and getting moving

Are you due to have the stricture resolved anytime soon?

Its difficult for us to advise whats too much for you but does the gym offer any free personal training or will they do you a personal plan for you?

I think its important you discuss with them your current eating issues, as they could have an impact on what sort of exercise you should be/could be doing.

Well done for taking the step xx

Miss Curves, what were the symptoms of your structure and ulcer?

I might have an ulcer, but other than throwing up some blood I have no other symptoms and feel ok.

Thanks.

I am 6 weeks post op on Tuesday and last week I started running so over the course of 5 days I done 3x 3mile runs and 2 one hour Zumba classes and I will rest Saturday and Sunday. My plan is to continue with the running three times a week and gradually increase distance and do one Zumba class and one metafit class. It's enough for me and I believe, or at least I hope it's enough to aid with my weight loss. I genuinely wouldn't have time to fit anymore in. Also I will be doing the odd bike riding on a weekend with the kids as well! Good luck.

I am 6 weeks post op on Tuesday and last week I started running so over the course of 5 days I done 3x 3mile runs and 2 one hour Zumba classes and I will rest Saturday and Sunday. My plan is to continue with the running three times a week and gradually increase distance and do one Zumba class and one metafit class. It's enough for me and I believe, or at least I hope it's enough to aid with my weight loss. I genuinely wouldn't have time to fit anymore in. Also I will be doing the odd bike riding on a weekend with the kids as well! Good luck.

Have you cleared that level of intensity with your surgical team? That seems like a shed load of high impact exercise for someone just six weeks out. Please get this ok'd by your team I'd hate to see you put your future fitness at risk by doing too much too soon. I was told no gym for twelve weeks at least

Have you cleared that level of intensity with your surgical team? That seems like a shed load of high impact exercise for someone just six weeks out. Please get this ok'd by your team I'd hate to see you put your future fitness at risk by doing too much too soon. I was told no gym for twelve weeks at least

I had my surgery abroad so I got verbal clearance off them providing my gp okayed it so I went to docs last Monday and gp gave me then once over and said it was fine but to listen to my body. I've always recovered quick off operations for some reason. Also I had a wrap so I don't know if that makes any difference in terms of how long to wait compared to other surgery. I was just itching to get going! Although to be honest no one mentioned intensity level to me, just to listen and stop if I have to.

Intensity is key in any exercise regime. We can go to the gym and pound out the miles at the same intensity hour after hour but unless we are pushing our bodies further and harder than they are used to, then no real training event actually takes place. Yes we will burn calories but we won't improve fitness or strength. You on the other hand are pushing your body to its limits every time you train, which is great for your fitness but you have to be careful that you're not doing more tissue damage each time than your limited protein intake can cope with.

In other words you'd need to up your protein intake to make sure you have enough to repair your body each time you break down the fibres during training, and that you are eating enough calories to fuel these high intensity events. You're doing great I just want to make sure you're taking appropriate nutritional care to make the most of your fantastic attitude towards exercise xxx

Back