• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2nd Appointment at Russell's Hall Hospital Today...

Louanne79

So I had my first appointment with Dr Labib around 10 weeks ago, and I've been scheduled for some blood pressure readings and have done my sleep apnoea test over the weekend. I've been back for my second appointment today and I think I feel quite good about it.
I've lost just under 3kg's, which although isn't a massive amount at my weight, the Dr was pleased.
They're just waiting for all my test results, and as I'm now 'on the list' (I got the relevant score on whatever scale they use) once they have them, my case can be discussed at the next MDT meeting.
I don't have to do anything else now, other than try to carry on losing the pounds/inches, then go back in 8 weeks and hope it's all systems go.
They did explain that they're no longer referring to the Manor now, due to all the waiting/admin problems, so any referral will be to Telford. I don't mind though, as apparently the wait there is nowhere near as long. They did say though that they're only allowed to 'green light' six patients at each month's MDT meeting, so I just have to hope I'm one of the chosen few.
Overall, I feel quite optimistic.
:D

Oh well done hun, that sounds really positive news.

Thanks me dears x

So I had my first appointment with Dr Labib around 10 weeks ago, and I've been scheduled for some blood pressure readings and have done my sleep apnoea test over the weekend. I've been back for my second appointment today and I think I feel quite good about it.
I've lost just under 3kg's, which although isn't a massive amount at my weight, the Dr was pleased.
They're just waiting for all my test results, and as I'm now 'on the list' (I got the relevant score on whatever scale they use) once they have them, my case can be discussed at the next MDT meeting.
I don't have to do anything else now, other than try to carry on losing the pounds/inches, then go back in 8 weeks and hope it's all systems go.
They did explain that they're no longer referring to the Manor now, due to all the waiting/admin problems, so any referral will be to Telford. I don't mind though, as apparently the wait there is nowhere near as long. They did say though that they're only allowed to 'green light' six patients at each month's MDT meeting, so I just have to hope I'm one of the chosen few.

Hello, I am really interested in your post as I have been referred to Mr sidgurdsson who does the surgery at Telford. When I rang to chase up they said I nned to see Mr Labib at RH. They have actually lost my referral it seems as she had no log of me anywhere.

Could you tell me what PCT you are under and did your GP refer you staright to Mr Labib? Also after referral how long did you wait to see Mr Labib.

Many thanks and good luck, the wait at Telford is around 6 weeks,

Linski xxx

Hello, I am really interested in your post as I have been referred to Mr sidgurdsson who does the surgery at Telford. When I rang to chase up they said I nned to see Mr Labib at RH. They have actually lost my referral it seems as she had no log of me anywhere.

Could you tell me what PCT you are under and did your GP refer you staright to Mr Labib? Also after referral how long did you wait to see Mr Labib.

Linski xxx

Linski Louanne is under Dudley PCT
I also see Dr Labib at Russells Hall.
I just asked my GP to refer me to him 3 years ago.
I think it was about 6 weeks from referal to seeing him.
The clinic has gotten very busy in the last couple of years so it may be longer now and he doesn't refer many people to surgery he likes you to try dieting first. I was under him for 18 months before I was discussed at the meeting and that was only because both my dad and my brother saw him as well. My brother had a bypass after asking his own GP to refer him for surgery as Dr Labib wouldn't refer him.

Excellent news Louanne :D

Linski xxx

Hi Linski,

As lamornamiss said, I'm under Dudley PCT and my GP referred me straight to Labib at Russell's Hall. With choose and book it was about 6 weeks wait for my first appointment, and then I've done 10/12 weeks of weight management before this second appointment.
At my first appontment they confirmed I met the scoring criteria for surgery, so hopefully when I go back after another 8 weeks of weight management, they'll have some good news. Biggest thing for me was them confirming that I'm on the list to be discussed at one of the next MDT meetings.
xXx

Thanks for the replies ladies. I am under south staffs PCT who provide automatic funding as I fit the criteria. Is Russells Hall the same as Wm in they dont make you do the 12-20 weeks weight management course first. I dont mind doing it but at 55 I dont want to waste any more time. Losing it is't the problem for us is it? Either way it looks to me as though I am looking at around 18-24 months from referral to op. I think they make this journey as hard as possible. Like everyone on here it's not something I have decided upon without lots of soul searching and investigation. Not to mention all the diets and medication already tried over 40 years. Forgive me I sound impatient and a it self centerd just really, really fed up. They have now lost 2 feferrals over 6 months and I feel as though I am just treading water.

Good luck to you all.

Linski xxx

Thanks for the replies ladies. I am under south staffs PCT who provide automatic funding as I fit the criteria. Is Russells Hall the same as Wm in they dont make you do the 12-20 weeks weight management course first. I dont mind doing it but at 55 I dont want to waste any more time. Losing it is't the problem for us is it? Either way it looks to me as though I am looking at around 18-24 months from referral to op. I think they make this journey as hard as possible. Like everyone on here it's not something I have decided upon without lots of soul searching and investigation. Not to mention all the diets and medication already tried over 40 years. Forgive me I sound impatient and a it self centerd just really, really fed up. They have now lost 2 feferrals over 6 months and I feel as though I am just treading water.

Good luck to you all.

Linski xxx

Linski have you asked your GP if he will refer you for surgery at Telford?
I got impatient with Dr Labib and asked my GP to refer me and he did there and then

Linski, Russells Hall don't do wls, they refer on from their weight management clinic.

Have you asked Staffs pct if they will use Telford?

Wolverhampton pct won't as i asked for Trev xx

Linski have you asked your GP if he will refer you for surgery at Telford?
I got impatient with Dr Labib and asked my GP to refer me and he did there and then

Thanks for replying, I am so grateful for any help or guidance.

He already has but they said I need to go through Dr Labib first. I have seen my Gp tonight nad he is going to fax an urgent referral over. His secretary told me to ask for this. If Dr Labib messes about with the weight loss thing for 6 months I will contest it. I have been referred now 6 months to 2 different hospitsals and have had one appoinment where I was told there were 300 people on the list currently!

I don;t understand why I could not have gone straight to the surgeon at Telford?

Linski xx

Linski, Russells Hall don't do wls, they refer on from their weight management clinic.

Have you asked Staffs pct if they will use Telford?

Wolverhampton pct won't as i asked for Trev xx

Hi Julie,

|Do you happen to know if RH make you do the weight management course first?

I find it intersting about wolverhampton not funding for Telford. The head of funding there told me they would have to put my case forward to multi disaplinary group for funding for Teford. While they have contracts with WM and Heartlands obviously if need be they will consider other hospitals. it just wouldn't be automatic funding as such.

I have made so many calls I am now questioning whether South Staffs will fund for Telford. I will have to call them tomorrow again and get clarification.

I have seen my GP tonight as after reading a post on here last night I rand RH and spoke to Dr Labibs secretary. She was really helpful and I told her my referral had gone walkabout again as I was referred straight to Mr Sidgursson at Telford. After ringing Mr Sidgurssons secretary last week she said I need to go through Dr Labib. I had no idea I may have to do the weight management course thingy.

Dr Labib's secreatry said to see my Doctor and ask him to fax an urgent referral letter over to her and she would make sure she picked it up. She asked he included the fact my referral had gone missing so she could make up for the lost time.

So all in all I ain't got a bloody clue where I am or what will happen. Just know how down I am about it all. I have had tests today for diabetes and my GP said my thyroid problem should go in my favor for surgery but really its out of his hands isn't it.

Hope you are well.

Love

Lin xxxxx

Hi Julie,

|Do you happen to know if RH make you do the weight management course first?

I find it intersting about wolverhampton not funding for Telford. The head of funding there told me they would have to put my case forward to multi disaplinary group for funding for Teford. While they have contracts with WM and Heartlands obviously if need be they will consider other hospitals. it just wouldn't be automatic funding as such.

I have made so many calls I am now questioning whether South Staffs will fund for Telford. I will have to call them tomorrow again and get clarification.

I have seen my GP tonight as after reading a post on here last night I rand RH and spoke to Dr Labibs secretary. She was really helpful and I told her my referral had gone walkabout again as I was referred straight to Mr Sidgursson at Telford. After ringing Mr Sidgurssons secretary last week she said I need to go through Dr Labib. I had no idea I may have to do the weight management course thingy.

Dr Labib's secreatry said to see my Doctor and ask him to fax an urgent referral letter over to her and she would make sure she picked it up. She asked he included the fact my referral had gone missing so she could make up for the lost time.

So all in all I ain't got a bloody clue where I am or what will happen. Just know how down I am about it all. I have had tests today for diabetes and my GP said my thyroid problem should go in my favor for surgery but really its out of his hands isn't it.

Hope you are well.

Love

Lin xxxxx

Lin
Dr Labib is the head of the weight management clinic (one of the best in the country so I am told) so you will have to do weight management course.
As Julie said Russells Hall does not do weightloss surgery. They will do all the tests to see if you qualify for surgery. I had more tests at RH that I did at Walsall Manor(including sleep aponea, ECG EEG, lung x-ray... etc)

Lin
Dr Labib is the head of the weight management clinic (one of the best in the country so I am told) so you will have to do weight management course.
As Julie said Russells Hall does not do weightloss surgery. They will do all the tests to see if you qualify for surgery. I had more tests at RH that I did at Walsall Manor(including sleep aponea, ECG EEG, lung x-ray... etc)

I'd agree with this and say that with Labib's clinic you'd have to do Weight Management first. I was also told at my first appointment that Dr Labib likes to see you are motivated enough to try and lose weight on your own to prove your commitment.
As I said, Labib's cinic is currently only referring 6 patients a month to Telford for surgery, and they won't even put you on the list to be discussed at the MDT meeting until you've had tests including 24 hour blood pressure, sleep apnoea and others.
Also, I can't remember the list of questions I had to answer, but it was about stuff like diabetes, osetoarthritis, BMI etc, and you have to score 10 or above to be considered suitable for surgery (well, a bypass at least).
All the team there are really good though.

Back