• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1st Appointment at Charing Cross today

JanetB

Well I've just got home from my first appointment at Charing Cross Hospital and I'm tired, hungry but very happy. It was quite a long day and I would advise anyone who has an appointment at 5pm to get there by 2pm at the latest in time to have your blood tests and ECG done before the group session.

The appointment at 5pm lasted for 2 hours and was in the form of a group session where Dr Laroux (V. Nice man!) went through the options available to us. The 2nd hour was another group session where we were joined by the team psychiatrist and was in the form of an open question and answer session. I would guess there were about 10 of us in the group. Finally they came round to us one by one, took our questionaires and ECG results off us and asked us which procedure we would like..... it was like choosing off a menu! lol

So, now have to wait for about 2 more appointments, but as long as nothing unforseen pops up, I should have my op in the next 4 - 6 months!!

Felt the day went very well - and actually made a new friend who I've swapped phone numbers with etc so we can keep in touch.

Glad all went well Janet, thanks for the advice, i got a letter today saying to arrive early for bloods and ECG etc. Here's to the next appointment.

Bunny xx

Perfect day for you good luck!

Glad all went well on your visit to CX. They are a very friendly bunch there. I hope you get your next appointment soon.

Hi, you are on your way!

I am glad you had a good day at CX. I agree that the team are fantastic. Your day sounds much the same as mine was. The team will meet and decide who will go forward to the next stage. I waited 11 weeks for my second appointment. I had my by-pass there in July.

My friend had her surgery there last week. She also started at Tooting but switched to Charing ccross.

Hi Janet,
I had my 1st appt at CX yesterday, very much as you described probably had a group of about 15 which seem daunting but they did things so well I felt happy when I left. Thanks for the advice on getting there early for Bloods & ECG. Hope you hear soon about your next appt.
Bunny xx

Glad things went well! Its great to have friends to talk to about this as well, good luck x

Hi

I have an appointment with charring cross at 5pm on the 15th what i am enquiring is...is it ok to take someone with you or will they have to wait outside.

Hi

I have an appointment with charring cross at 5pm on the 15th what i am enquiring is...is it ok to take someone with you or will they have to wait outside.

Welcome to Mini's! There will be no problem taking someone with you. In fact it is a good idea as you get bombarded with lots of info and it is very difficult to remember it all on your own. Good luck with your appointment.

Thank you very much John thats a relief i am quite a shy person so probably would have just kept my mouth shut at the back of the room My Girlfriend is the one who would prompt me ask things and take stuff onboard.
Looking forward to getting some help.

Good luck to you to buddy

There were lots of people with partners etc with them, i went alone but it was really ok either way. I made a new friend who has the same date for their 2nd appt so we are meeting up beforehand for a coffee. Hope all goes well for you.
Bunny x

I think that in my group meeting at Charing X there were only about 3 of us who didn't have someone else with them.... partners etc are actively encouraged to ask questions etc as they'll be on the journey with you.

My 2nd appointment is on 10th December which is further away than i would have hoped, but at least I'm on my way now!!

Thanks so much guys its a relief to know i can take someone with me.

What should i expect on the day with regards to options.

I really want to give medically supervised dieting a go before any surgical stuff and reading about bypasses is making me scared what with all the hospital time and catheters and drips n stuff.

I have previously been on orlistat but was taken off it because it made me really ill.

It depends on the individual. They can offer non-surgical treatments such as tablets. There are a couple of alternatives to Orlistat like Reductil, but I have found they need a high level of self control otherwise you suffer from the way they work.

It also depends if you have any comorbidities like diabetes, hypertension or sleep apnoea. These can be helped by surgical methods.

The best thing to do is go with an open mind and listen to the presentation - the first meeting is a presentation to 10-20 people by several of the members of staff. You will hear all about the different ways they can help and can ask questions. You will be asked at the end if you wish to take it any further.

Good luck.

Back