• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

4-5 weeks post op eating

misscharlie

From Advice last week from Anna I went on to slops :) done a week, and no I have no idea what I'm suppose to be eating? I cant stomach mash and cheese any more? I've had some chicken and have been fine, but not sure if I'm pushin it or not? I really have no idea. xx

haven't had the op so can't advise you but don't the hospital give you proper suggestions on what to eat after surgery too? I'm a bit worried that I've only had ten mins with the nutritionist and she seemed pretty useless.

Hi Charlie
It does become a bit repetitive in the first few weeks post op. Chicken is fine as long as you shread it up very finely, i used to eat it with mushed down veg, potatoes and gravy. I was also eating shepards pie with lots of gravy. If you can eat fish the ones you buy in sauce are great too for this stage. Just introduce new foods slowly to make sure your new pouch can tolerate them as we are all different. Good luck x

I dont seem to be having any probs with eating anything, but was also wondering if a pain every time I eat is normal too? Its on my left hand side a bit like stitch which radiates round the back. Yesturday it was contant all day and today is just when I eat? x

Hi Charlie
I shall be glad to see what people suggest too lol. I have been having w/w shepherds pie (half), cauliflower cheese mashed up, soup (chunky type and chewed the veg), cod in butter sauce, w/w fish pie, and mash with gravy or cheese.
I know what you mean, I am not sure what to start next, but have bought some ham tonight, some raspberries and low fat greek yoghurt, some pilchards in tomato sauce, yet more soup, and some low fat cheese triangles, may try them on ritz crackers or the like.
Keep in touch xxxxx

the stitch feeling is due to eating to quick or to much , i am 3 weeks post op, and had a slice of toast today and it wasnt a problem .. i have also been naughty and had some choc buttons, as i have been craving choc as im hormonal they were fine to, but i made sure i only had a small bag where normally i would of had about 3 large choc bars ..lol i also tried quiche lorraine with mash and peas, and that was ok ...... i was told by a mate of mine that she started trying things about 3 weeks, and if they didnt agree she left them for a while and tried again , as long as you chew the food really well its not a problem , i asked my dr if i was to eat something i shouldnt at this stage would i damage my pouch, and he said NO.. so im trying all kinds of things . i just wish choc would of made me dump so i didnt want to eat it, this op is great to help with quantity, but your brain still tells you to eat crap .. i hate head hunger .. but i am fighting it as much as i can .... a little of what you fancy dont hurt ... even slim people eat crap at times but in moderation ....lol

That pain can sometimes be trapped wind or as a result of you not chewing your food enough or too quickly i still get it from time to time its hard to break the habits of a life time certainly in my case. As far as next stage Jan just introduce more solid food gradually and see what you can tolerate for example don't mush things up so much, don't cook veg until soft and soft berry fruits are also good. xx

ps I have that stitch feeling too on the left hand side xxxx

Oh thanks thats reassuring!

I tried some cauliflower cheese today, just going through the stage of everything tastes awful I think. I just dont fancy anything. I need to start thinking about protein shakes . I can stomach half of a fortimel, but I've seen some shakes with 50g per serving! I havent brought any yet as didnt want to fork out 30/40 quid if I hate it.

I started on yogurts last week, buying muller light. After I ate it didn't feel so good, and when I checked the sugar couldn't believe how many there was. x

I am totally guilty of eating too quickly and swallow without thinking. I keep trying to put my spoon down no between mouthfuls to slow me down. x

What about trying tuna mash and cheese a friend of mine loved this . Or egg mayo and also prawns mashed in mayo ...........

I am ok with the Muller lights and also the Muller rice pots. I am also having sugar free sweets, the Sula ones in vanilla and strawberry and cream, I have one while I am having a cup of tea, and that is my dessert. Does anyone know if these are ok after bypass? xxx

Hi,

I'm 5 weeks post op today.....I can eat pretty much anything as long as I chew chew chew it until its puree in my mouth before I swallow.
Mash with tuna and cheese is great for protein and also a chickpea curry is good as its full of protein and very soft - there are loads of recipes for this if you google it.

Hope this helps xx

Charlie have you tried Brains Faggots? I know some people enjoyed them at your stage with mash n gravy, i didn't have them till the weekend and they were delicious, just remember they are really soft but still need a good chewing :)

Basically when i started eating food i just tried what i had before but in smaller portions. I remember making a 'healthy option' tikka masala and the flavours bounced around my mouth deliciously.... Cottage cheese, hummus etc are delicious on crackers/ryvita/melba toast...

Muller lights gave me a bit of a warm feeling after i had the first one but i was fine, apparently they are sugar laden... If you fancy something nice don't forget NAS angel delight on top of your s/f jelly is lovely :)

I have a protein shake every day ( i started about a month ago) to keep my protein up, i'll facebook you the link, very low carbs and high protein and cals are good too :) xx

shape do a fat free, sugar free yogurt and they are lovely

hi im 4 weeks post op and i am now trying most things cheese carrs i love up tp now the only thing i cant have is vinigar on anything as this makes me sleepy

Interesting thread. I am worried about trying anything. All I have tried so far is weetabix, mashed potato, mushy peas, butternut squash, sweet potato, little bit of cod, hummous, philadelphia extra light, laughing cow cheese triangle and blended soup.

Back