• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

4 days post-op (gastric band) feeling terrible

Mouse M

Hello lovely people,

Was wondering if anyone had any advice. I've been struggling with the usual trapped wind (although that has eased today somewhat!) and general post-op pain but the last 24 hours have been horrendous.

I've been feeling so so nauseous and light-headed - tried sipping some
Broth last night but didn't manage much and ended up having to lie down. Tried to just sleep off the sickness. Woke up this morning and felt I was going to vomit, ended up with that awful sensation of my mouth filling up with saliva and my stomach heaving - I retched a lot but there is honestly nothing in my stomach to bring up. I kept running to the bathroom to be sick but I couldn't be sick just had waves of sickness run through my body :(

I hate feeling sick so much, and every sip of water I have makes me want to throw up again. I'm feeling very sorry for myself and I know this is probably mostly down to dehydration but how can I rehydrate if I want to bring up any fluid. My post op nurse rang today and said I need to drink more fluids, and I'm so aware by not eating/drinking enough I'm delaying my recovery but I feel dreadful.

Sorry for the essay - any tips or advice would be so so so appreciated.

Mouse xxx

So sorry your having such a rough time. The swelling will continue to go down and you will be able to get a bit more in xxxx

If you cannot get hydrated I would consider asking for a drip

Bless you sweetheart ....sending a virtual hug firstly :) I hope by now your feeling at least a little better...I would be inclined to call you team if your still feeling sick, maybe there is something they can give you for the time being to help.... of course upping your fluids will help too...but don't suffer in silence hunni ....if you feeling that bad get on the phone, your team are there to help you :)

wishing you all the best, keep resting and keep sipping and get well on the road to recovery x x x x

Sorry to see your suffering, its very early days post op and I guess your body is saying "woah, whats just happened?" And now needs tine to catch up.im sure things will improve in tbe next few days but do contact your team for advise
wishing you better

Hi sweet I felt really rough for a few days after my op, lightheaded and sick with lack of food.

In the end I ate sweet food (and I don't really like aweet stuff) and it made me feel so much better.

I would have a hot chocolate, or a custard pea yoghurt. Anything small and sweet and I can't tell you how much better it made me feel.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

sorry to hear about your pain. Like you said dehydration is a big issue, and like Kirsty mentioned, do insist on asking for a drip to hydrate. Say you simply cannot drink, a drip will give your body the boost.
on the second day of my operation, I could not drink anything either. Retching too. I did ask and the kindly nurse did give me saline - that helped a lot.

good luck,

Back