• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Numbness post banding

bungalow_bill

I'm day 4 post op and feeling a lot of numbness all around my stomach and rib area - I can't even feel my port. I can't even decide if there is any swelling or not.

I am feeling pretty uncomfortable changing position, getting up or bending etc, but I would guess that isn't unexpected.

I do have a problem wearing a bra though. The port incision is the largest, and it's right in the middle where my bra rests. I've tried a couple of times, but have had to take the bra off within an hour. I'm a bit worried that wearing a bra could irritate the site, but I can't go out without a bra on.

I haven't been eating much up till now, because I didn't want to push it or be sick, but I've just had a whole bowl of soup, and feel like I could have more. Surgeon said the band was loose and the op was straightforward so there may not be much swelling, but I don't think I'm feeling any restriction at all. In fact I'm pretty ravenous all the time.

Anyone got any advice?

Hi not a bander but had my bypass done lariscopicly (yeah I know I spelt it wrong lol) had same thing with numbness in my belly for a about a week after where my op sites were and in various other patches, this was down to the gasses used to infalte my insides so the sugeon could see where he was chopping! Same problem with the bra rubbing on two of my cuts I popped on a soft peice of gauze to stop any rubbing when i had to wear my bra, but the best thing i did was go without when I was at home and get plenty of air to them...topless indoor sunbathing it could be the next thing lol,
sorry cant help you with the others but sure ali or one of the others will be along to answer you questions

I was really numb, especially around the port scar for a good couple of weeks post-op, so I think this is pretty normal. It took almost a month for all of my bruises to go as well.
I did the braless thing at home - far too uncomfy to wear one at first, but give it a week and it will be much better - let them free as often as you can - you will be much more comfy that way!!!
You will feel a bit uncomfy bending for a bit yet, is still early days but it does pass soon. As for the hunger - well it took a couple of weeks for my hunger to return - are you drinking enough? For about the first 10 days post op i made a list of what drinks I had had to make sure i hit at least 1500mls a day and I did notice on the days I drunk more (Sipping all day is the way to go - nooo gulping it down!) i was fuller for longer.
Hope that helps a bit xx

I did the braless thing at home - far too uncomfy to wear one at first, but give it a week and it will be much better - let them free as often as you can - you will be much more comfy that way!!!
loving this site more and more for the warts and all approach.
Maybe we should have a thread titled things a surgeon will never tell you!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Thanks all for the advice. Allie I think you've hit the nail on the head about the fluids - realise I'm not really drinking enough at all, so will start to focus on that and maybe it will be a bit easier.

Was doing the braless thing this afternoon, but my Dad popped in - think it gave him a bit of a fright :)

lol.. bet he was shocked.
i had my band 4days ago and i felt the same with hunger and i hadnt been drinking enough so 2day i drank more and dont feel hungry at all..
where did you have it done bill?

Well done Emma, great loss in only a fortnight!!

Back