• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

5 days Post Op - Have I done the right thing ?

Traceyjane1530

I Had my Op 5 days ago and I have got to admit was completely naïve about the enormity of the operation and how I would feel afterwards. I honestly thought I would be up and about 2 days later carrying on as normal. The pain was far worse than I expected but the worse thing so far has been the nausea and dehydration. I just don't seem to be able to get enough liquid inside of me and am awake most nights with terrible thirst and chronic headaches. I am managing to swallow more each day but each sip is still uncomfortable. I am also really swollen and feel bigger than ever - so on top of all the medication I am having to take I am seriously wondering if I have done the right thing ?? The 7 incisions are all really sore and I am wondering what the scars will look like and scared they are going to be infected.
I also feel very guilty about lying to people and saying I have had a different kind of Op - I have only told 2 people the truth and have even lied to my daughters. As I write this I am sipping water that hurts as it goes down. I had my first bowel movement today which took 25 mins and was agony - am real concerned about constipation.
I am hungry all the time and every advert for food is killing me.
So, yes I am being very negative right now and questioning my judgement and feel as though I have butchered myself and should have had the discipline to solve this another way. Sorry, but where else can I vent my concerns. I am writing this at 4.15am because once again I cannot sleep. I keep telling myself that I will feel better as each day goes by but this is way harder than I anticipated and I think I should have chosen the Band.
I know there will be people in this group who will identify with what I am saying and hopefully reassure me. I need to be honest and hope that in 6 months I will be writing something much more positive.

Hi there traceyjane

I’m sure in a few weeks time you will be feeling so differently. At the moment your body is going through a trauma cus you’ve had surgery and is healing. Think depression/low mood is quite common after any kind of operation but particularly from weight loss surgery as your body is adjusting to a new way of eating and your mind has the whole psychological thing going on.

It’s really early days; things will get better for you when you’re settled into a routine and are feeling more confident about what you can and can’t eat. You made a decision to have the surgery and it was the right decision at that time for you. Life is too short for regrets xXx

Last edited:
Hi Tracey. I'm Louise. I had my sleeve done on Tuesday and am in a fair amount of pain too. It sounds like you are having a bit of a tougher time than me at the mo,unless I start to go down hill in the next day or so. I've been the other way with BM. I can't seem to get off the loo. Just thought it was the GA passing through me. Would you like to keep in touch as our surgeries are so close together. We can compare notes? Louise xx

I didn't have any problems so am probably not the best person to advise but I did suffer from 'adrenalin loss'. After all the build up and emotions - suddenly it was done and dusted and nothing to channel the adrenaline in to so I had a huge 'emotional plummet'.

I hope you are feeling better soon xx

your really soon post op you will start to feel better as the days go by try to get more fluid in might be hard but it will help with the headaches hope you feel better really soon

Awww Hunni am send the hugest hugs your way :) i had a band fitted in feb and for the first week or so felt exactly the same......... in fact i cried and cried in hospital wondering what the hell i'd done :) obviously completely different ops so can't compare too much but will say by 4 weeks post op i was feeling completely human again (some people quicker) and now at 12 weeks post op i wonder why i didn't do it sooner. Try and keep the fluids up they will help with the heads and BM's :) try and relax and stop being hard on yourself ..... you have had major surgery and you need time to heal. Keep posting here hunni, it surly helps to know your not alone x x x I wish you all the very best and forward to the positive updates in a few weeks time :) x x x x

Oh Hun i do hope you feel better soon. Please will you keep updating me on your recovery? I am thinking about having a gastric bypass in july. I was already panicking about the op..
anyway as i said. I really hope you feel better soon. -hugs-

Hi There Traceyjane, as all the others have said, its really early days, just hang in there, try some positive meditation, I know this is what I shall probably be feeling, I not there yet but can visualise how completely consuming and difficult it must be, the thought of sticking to the milk diet for two weeks fills me with dread....

The very best of luck on your journey, please keep us upto date

Kate x

Hi Traceyjane,

First, welcome to the forum, it's good to have you here. You're 'raw' inside right now, so things will hurt for a while. I'm hoping you've been prescribed some sort of pain relief though - I was discharged from hospital with 100 dissolvable Co-codamol tablets.

May I be really candid with you?

From your profile, your starting BMI was 33.2? Is that correct? I see you had private surgery. Was there a specific reason for that? I'm a little surprised that your surgical team hasn't better prepared you for how you may feel, post-op. My surgery was on the NHS, as my BMI was over 40, but my surgeon took the time to advise me about how things might be post-op, and to prepare me for 'worst-case' scenario's, such as possible twisted bowel, hernia, etc.

Whilst I'm sure your surgeon did a good job, it just seems to me as though they could have better prepared you? After all, isn't that what you paid for anyway? Both pre-op and post-op care?

Ultimately, what you're feeling will pass. It takes time, of course. Have you ever watched an actual gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy surgical procedure? It's actually quite brutal, physically. Just the placing of the trocar's is quite violent as they're pushed through fat and the abdominal wall. Was there a reason for 7 incisions? It seems the norm is 5-6 or so.

Take some time to chill out a bit, eat slowly (have you been given a post-op diet?), take pain relief as needed and use this time as an opportunity to make future plans - diet, exercise, healthy eating.

Most of all, remember we're all in this together and here to help each other.

Wishing you all the very best for a pain-free, speedy recovery.

David..xx

Hi Traceyjane,
I to had my surgery with Mr Patel but on 3.5.14 at the kings college on guthrie ward and also have 7 incisions. I asked him why, as was expecting 5-6 he advised he did a temporary umbilical hernia repair with sutures. I too feel exactly the same as you. In a lot of discomfort with more right sided pain, I was prescribed omeprazole once daily & paracetamol and diclofenac which i have been taking 3x a day as recommended and also tramadol taken on going to bed . It really does feel uncomfortable taking the tablets i feel like they stick going down a kind of severe indigestion pain , but goes after a few seconds. I use windeeze (chewable) and this really has helped the wind . But i am struggling to drink anything approx 500ml max a day. This is the reason i have joined this forum to get positive feed back and answers, and I have read very similar stories to ours but they state they do improve so this gives me huge encouragement. I am now 6d post op and are rather worried
my discomfort and abdominal swelling will not improve in next 11days as I am back at work. !!!!!! hope you have improved honey.

I think a lot of us underestimate how much time we'll need for recovery. I had two weeks planned, but made it three as I just didn't feel ready. I'm back to work tomorrow.

For wind, try Infacol. I was discharged with two bottles of it. The infant dose is 0.05ml, adult dose is 3x 5ml daily. It works a treat for wind pain.

Wishing you both the very best for the future.

I hope those of you who were in pain have started to feel a bit better. I am presuming that you have access to a team of Nurses, dieticians and psychologists? I would really recommend that you use them, reassurance really does help on the road to recovery and everything you are feeling post op is normal.
If you are still concerned about medical symptoms ring your team. Peace of mind will really help you concentrate on your recovery.
Good Luck guys and don't forget, be gentle with yourself.

Back