• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

9 days to go - and scared

Did they tell you why they've all of a sudden changed their minds and decided on a sleeve rather than a bypass? I'd ask about this, they should give you a clear rationale for what type of surgery they are giving you. Given your diabetes I would have thought bypass would be the first choice (and your surgeon did say earlier it was).

Both tools are effective when used correctly so I'm not advocating one over the other - just hope there really is a rationale and not just a case of choosing the shorter type to squeeze you into the schedule for the day.

One tip I really wish someone had given me before my surgery is to press a pillow tightly against your stomach when you cough! If you've had surgery before you might already know that, but for me it was the first time. Since you will have an endotracheal tube while you're under anaesthesia you will have an urge to cough afterwards to clear your lungs of phlegm. It's important to do so, as it reduces the risk of post-operative pneumonia but OH MY did it hurt. One of the nurses gave me the pillow advice after hearing me scream/swear and it helped so much!

Hannah,
You are an absolute star and Sam and TiaLi too. This is all really useful.
I have made a document with all your good advice and printed it and stuck it in the note book I am using to keep all the info together. I'm going to keep reading through it.
I shall take measurements at the weekend.

Sorry, I know I don't know you but ..... hugggggs
Jill
Thanks Jill

Hi, welcome to the forum & good luck with your journey.
Ive had a bypass but was told before my op that due to intestinal adhesions they might have had to go with a sleeve. I think it was to do with the time it would take to remove the adhesions. Luckily mine werent too bad & i had the bypass as planned.

Very glad it went well for you.
I'm still worried about mine but am going to try to stay calm until I have the informative visit with he surgeon on 10th Nov.

Back