• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I doing the right thing?

mucklem

I've been reading a few blogs and threads etc and I'm starting to worry about band vs bypass. I have about 5/6 stone to lose and have decided to have a gastric band. The main reason I have opted for this rightly or wrongly is due to finances as I am not eligible to have it done on the NHS.
I am just worried that I have it done and I'm not able to lose the weight and have regrets and wish I had a bypass. I have my date for surgery which is the 26 July. Argh, don't know if it is just nerves but the majority of success stories on here seem to be bypass patients.
My head feels ready to burst. :confused:

Hi Michelle
This is a personnel choice that you have to choose, i started out with the band choice but it was on meeting my sugeon who suggested that the bypass would be a better option for me, stating that the after care in the band can be a few trips to hospital, filing etc, and that once you have had a bypass that's it bascially, but for's and against i took on board and decided in the end on the gastric sleeve which i had two weeks ago today and it was a perfect choice for me, so do you homework and speak to your surgeon and ask his opion with his history he has on you what's best and obviously i would say the ultimate dession is wether you want permanate as the band can be taken out, it's a serious choice talk it over hun

michelle can i ask why you was not eligible for the bypass hun ? many have great sucess on band but it is a decision you and your surgeon need to come too x

I'm also going private for my surgery.

I was going to have a band but after more research and chating to the bariatric nurse I have decided on a bypass.

For me there were many reasons why I changed my mind. My eating habbits are such that I would more than likely cheat with a band and I wouldn't trust myself for the rest of my life not to cheat.

I need to know that whatever surgery I'm having is for life and will work personally for me.

The cost was a great issue, it's a lot of extra money to find. But I deep down I knew if I had the band then I'd more than likely need to transfer to a bypass in the future (I seriously have little will power!) It was a case of find an extra £4000 now or spend another £12000 to switch from a band to bypass one day (maybe possibly).

I know it's still possible to cheat with the bypass but with the risk of dumping in the early stages I'm sure I won't hit the sugar and carbs.

Only you can decide which surgery is best for you.

When you discussed the options with your nurse, what was her views on your eating habits?

Hi welcome to the site! I have always gone with the idea of having a band ,but after talking with a few ladies on this site i am now thinking of a bypass to ! The only reason i have always gone with the idea of a band,is because i have a friend who has lost 8 stone after having the band fitted . It is really yours and your doctors choice which one you go for.Good luck.
Marie.:D

Thanks for all your comments, I think I need to go back and have another word with the gentleman I had my consultation with. I'm having it done with the Weight Loss Surgery Group.
Tracey my BMI isn't high enough apparently and I don't have any associated conditions apart from PCOS.

Hi Michelle

I had my band with the WLSG and cant fault them. As you are going private ultimatley its your choice but if you need some advice re your eating habbits etc thats what they are there for and what you are paying for.

I had 6 to 7 stone to lose as you and ok its slower with a band but you can 'cheat' with either WLS, the surgery is a tool.

The band works best with volume eaters, I was one of those. Anyway talk to the team and see what they suggest.

Good luck x

Thankyou all so much, I am feeling much more positive this morning and as you all say it is not the band alone that does the work and I need to work with it. I will have another chat with my consultant just to clarify things but I think my mind is made up on a band now.
Thanks again x x

The choice is a very individual thing and i'm sure you will make the right choice for you....

Wishing you lots of luck with whichever surgery you choose. Please be sure to keep us updated on your journey, the highs and the lows too. Being a member on this forum and participating is such a help not only to you but to others who will follow in your footsteps.. :) xx

This is exactly the route I took. I was determined to have a band but when the Consultant explained everything, and he was brilliant, it was clear that a bypass was the best option. I decided to have that and bit the bullet about the extra money and I don't regret it one bit now.

Phil

Back