• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

a bit down after hospital letter

Karma67

As the title of this thread suggests I'm a bit down today....I've been waiting for my 'trio' of appts, dietician, bariatric nurse and psychiatrist.

Received a letter from my Hosp today, and eagerly ripped it open lol to discover my next appts (only 2 out of 3) are for......... 7th Dec :(:(:(:(
That's over 3 mth time and is 16 weeks since my last appt :confused:

Icalled up the L&D about the 'missing' psych, appt and was told there is no psych on Mondays so most probably I wil see them on the next lot of appts after these.....as you can imagine I was thinking...'Oh no even more delay!' but the co ordinator must have ESP as the next sentence was..Don't worry this won't slow up the progress.. aslong as you have seen all team members b4 meeting the surgeon.......Phew!

I don't want to appear ungrateful or impatient but I had November in my mind for next appts :( and Feb for operation at the latest...doesn't seem likely now:(

Sorry to have a moan just needed to vent x

Oh I will be on milk diet over Xmas lol:eek:

:(

ITs such a long process isnt it. But just think how worth much it will be worth it in the end. I totally sympathies as i am further behind you. :( :(

Just do what i am doing and try to distract yourself with...anything. Have you told them to contact you should anyone cancel? That might hurry up the appointments.

:) xxxxxx

As the title of this thread suggests I'm a bit down today....I've been waiting for my 'trio' of appts, dietician, bariatric nurse and psychiatrist.

Received a letter from my Hosp today, and eagerly ripped it open lol to discover my next appts (only 2 out of 3) are for......... 7th Dec :(:(:(:(
That's over 3 mth time and is 16 weeks since my last appt :confused:

Icalled up the L&D about the 'missing' psych, appt and was told there is no psych on Mondays so most probably I wil see them on the next lot of appts after these.....as you can imagine I was thinking...'Oh no even more delay!' but the co ordinator must have ESP as the next sentence was..Don't worry this won't slow up the progress.. aslong as you have seen all team members b4 meeting the surgeon.......Phew!

I don't want to appear ungrateful or impatient but I had November in my mind for next appts :( and Feb for operation at the latest...doesn't seem likely now:(

Sorry to have a moan just needed to vent x

Oh I will be on milk diet over Xmas lol:eek:

Hi Karma

Try getting some cancellations...as long as all your Trio can be incorporated into the time frame you need...it will bring things forward.

(((hugs)))

Do you have the number for the appointments line? I would just keep calling them daily/every other day for cancellations. I managed to knock some time off by doing that! Every hospital/PCT is different though so this may not be how your area works!! Sorry if this doesn't help!!! Hope you manage to get your appointments quicker!!!

xxxxxxxx

Thanks all x

I feel a bit better now and ty for the advice. I have already told them to keep me in mind if any cancellations arise, but apparently there is a waiting list for that too :cry::sigh:

Oh well what will be will be, just seems so long to wait inbetween appts that the whole journey/process seems like forever!

x

Correct me if I read your post wrong but why if you don't think you are going to get your op in Feb are you going to be on the milk diet over Christmas?

Nobody should be on that diet longer than two weeks so there is no reason why you shouldn't eat normally and enjoy this Christmas is there?

Anyway I hope you get sorted soon and well on your way to joining us on this side.

xx

i think l&d is luton and dunstanble... im under them 2 and had to wait along timefor my 3 appoitments in 1! the done the milk diet for 4 weeks and then wait 2 and a half months to see the surgeon! i get my date on the 22nd after being refered to them a yr ago. they do take a while but they do have to tck all the boxs! as soon as uve see the psych they will put u on the milk diet and u have 9 weeks to do it with a appoitment at 4 weeks to see how ur going. hope this helps as im a little further along than u :) x

I know how you feel, when you have in your mind a time frame and it turns out to be wrong it is such a disappointment.
The diet doc at the diabetes clinic told me about the fact that I could apply for surgery she sent all of the stuff on and even sent letters to my gp and the community weight loss programmes people suggesting that I be put forward as a fast track.
So there was me thinking that it would be fast and then got an appointment with the programme and they said I had to do a 10 week course of group dietician appointments and the gym twice a week too, bearing in mind that I had already done at least fix or six weeks of one through the diabetes clinic before it got cancelled, it really got me down...ten whole weeks...it was torture!
Then at the end of the ten weeks I had a meeting with the dietician of that group and he said that it was his decision to make about sending me on and agreed that he would, he also said that he would send my letter about fast tracking on too.
So again I got excited. Got an appointment for a couple of months later to see the bariatric dietician of my community and I pointed out my letter to her and my heart sunk when she said "I wish we could fast track you but for us we have to do that ten weeks and you have to be 'in the system' for twelve months before we can even put in for funding".
I was mortified at such a long wait and as this was only 3ish months into me being 'in the system' it seemed so long to wait.
But, Im in it for the long haul so what will be will be.
So, I have seen the bariatric dietician every eightish weeks for the past nine months and had my asessments with the psych along the way too and then in July the dietician told me that everything was together on her side and once the psych sent her part of the application form she would let me know.
So at the beginning of August she called me and said that it was all there and that she was sending it to my gp to fill his part in. After a week or two of hassle trying to get my gp to hurry up the dietician called them to hurry them and then called the pct a few days later to see if they had received it all and they said yes and would be in contact soon.
A few days later I got my letter to say that I was being referred to Spire Hospitals and that the funding covers my appointments and to get the full funding the surgeon has to agree that I have proven my commitment.
So now I am waiting for my appointment to come through from a surgeon, which I am told that they have 8 weeks to reply, then waiting for an appointment, which I am prepared to find could be another 8 weeks and then all of the appointments that come from that.
So Ive been jumping through hoops for a year now and am expecting that a conservative estimation on time until I have an op to be another six months or so, so I sooooooooo understand the feeling of waiting.
Consider to this that I asked a doctor THREE YEARS ago about surgery and was told not to bother, so feel that THREE years was wasted, it is such a long wait.
I am one of the least patient people ever but this past year now feels as though it has flown by and I am sure that in what feels like the blink of an eye I will be on that operating table about to start my new life.
You need to bug them about things, dont let them fob you off, Im lucky, I have a good relationship with my dietician (we have emailed back and to for her to help me) so please dont let them fob you off.
Try to keep yourself busy, I have spent this time researching about the ops and what to expect and just preparing myself mentally for everything to come, you need to be in a good place mentally to make this huge change so you could use all of this time to prepare yourself.
Im sorry that this is such a long post.
Good luck and here is to as short a wait as possible.
Steph xx

Oh Karma am sorry you are feeling down about the appts it does seem ages.
When I saw them at Luton on the 18th Aug they said they were having to reschedule lots of appts due to the surgeons 'being away most of August'
So I have an appt to go back 14th Sept, and they said it would prob be end Oct into Nov before I saw the surgeon, and then about 6 wks after that for op.
I have heard they are taking on another surgeon, so there will be four there then and they are stopping doing bands in the near future.
That just shows how many people are trying for the surgery.
Back to you I hope you feel better soon and do give me a call if you want to talk

Jay xx

I'd ring them back and ask if you could be contacted if any cancellations come up. This way you may get seen quicker. Good luck and even if it is a few months longer than you originally thought its ok. Getting your op is the most important so its worth the wait as its going to be forever this time sweetheartxxx

Back