• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A change to NHS funding....power to GPs instead of PCT

Nightwitch

Nightwitch to New Witch
Was reading this on the Daily mail's website....and knowing how hard it was (and is) for many of us to get our funding for our surgeries thought you may want to read.....

Doctors will rule in biggest NHS revolution for 60 years as trusts face axe | Mail Online

Doctors will rule in biggest NHS revolution for 60 years: Billions given to GPs as trusts face axe

• Primary care trusts to be scrapped
  • Family doctors given £80billion
  • GPs will pay hospitals directly
Doctors will be given sole responsibility for patient care under plans for the biggest shake-up of the NHS in 60 years.

Around £80bn will be handed straight to family GPs, while the 150 strategic health authorities and primary care trusts who currently channel it will be drastically cut back.
The plans, to be published in a white paper next week, are a victory for Health Secretary Andrew Lansley who has lobbied to give taxpayers' money directly to doctors to reduce red tape and escalating costs.

Currently funds are given by the Government to primary care trusts, which pay for patients from their area to be treated in hospital.

Under these plans, GPs — who are currently not responsible for paying for hospital referrals — would receive the money instead and pay the hospitals directly.

The change will be compulsory and tens of thousands of administrative jobs in the health service will be lost as a result.

The Coalition believes the new system will return control over treatment to doctors and patients, and GPs will also have to organise out-of-hours services which may see family doctors offering 24-hour care once again.

George Osborne, the Chancellor, has raised serious concerns about putting such a vast sum of money back

However the Daily Telegraph claims Mr Osborne has been assured by the Health Secretary that there will be safeguards in place to ensure GPs do not 'waste' the money.
Mr Lansley believes that if GPs are responsible for their own budgets and have to commission out-of-hours care, most will decide to go back to offering weekend and evening cover themselves or in local groups.

Primary care trusts and strategic health authorities which cover a range of NHS trusts and supervise local NHS services are exerting too much control, he believes.

Under the reforms, primary care trusts will not be

Mr Lansley hopes to have the changes in place by next April, although NHS managers believe that may be over-ambitious.

GPs will probably be made to sign a new contract to make them more accountable, as part of the white paper, and they will work in local groups to commission services.

He will need to secure GPs support for the plans, which may run into opposition.

The plans, which commentators have called 'the most revolutionary in the NHS since 1948' will come as a shock to Conservative and Liberal Democrat MPs.

Mr Lansley will point to the joint Tory-Lib Dem document which states: 'We will strengthen the power of GPs as patients’ expert guides through the health system by enabling them to commission care on their behalf.'

The Coalition agreement also vowed to 'stop the top-down reorganisations of the NHS that have got in the way of patient care'.

The loss of jobs, is also likely to lead to further outcry from public sector trade unions, after the threat of industrial action over plans for severe cuts in the Whitehall workforce.

A source told the Telegraph that anger of Whitehall job cuts had delayed publication of the white paper but that 'In the end, the Prime Minister clearly said to George Osborne that this was not one he should go to war on.'

The last Conservative government tried to give power back to local doctors through GP fund-holding, but the plan was voluntary only.

I am SO glad Ive had my op now then, my GP is an idiot that runs his surgery like a business already, always mucking about with peoples medicines to save money, he usually has to admit his mistake and put things right again, he is an idiot! I only got referred because it was the hospital diabetes folks that helped, otherwise he would have sent me away. I really do dislike him and if I can find a decent GP elsewhere I will leave his surgery. He has NO 'bedside manner'. So if he is an ass now he is going to be frigging annoying with more power!
Steph xx

Yeah, I was reading about this too. Dunno though, think it may be a while before things are implemented & it could cause initial chaos! My doctors surgery is great, very professionally run & everyone is fantastic there, so if it's brought in, it would be fabulous for me. However, as Steph has pointed out, if your doctors surgery is generally crap or they don't believe in WLS, it could make things so more difficult for people. My old doctors surgery was awful, hence my doctor phobia now! I have to be literally dying to go anywhere near a doctor! My old surgery was awful...everything was my fault 'coz I was fat....I swear if I had fallen over & gone in there with a broken leg he would have told me it was becuase I was fat!!!!!!

Oh, & I meant to say, my old doctor was reaaaaaaaalllllly annoying too becuase he was 6 ft & really slim & used to have to eat a whole packet of biscuits at 11 am & 3 pm (his break-time) otherwise he would feel faint.....ggggrrrrrr

yeah i know some may have issues but hopefully those with GPs who want to help but get shot down by the PCT's may get the help they need eventually

Thanks for sharing this Michelle - interesting! Im sure my OH would get funding if it was our GP's decision.

My GP would certainly fund mine but it'll be in the dreaded PCT hands, thanks for posting this info, a very good read xJ

Back