• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Funding for Surgery - Where To Start?

Hi there, i went to my doctor i Feb 09 and he referred me to Dr Cheruvu at the University Hopsital of North Staffordshire. Mt fisrt app was in March where he asked me about previous diet history and whether i prefer sweet or savoury foods (sweet eaters are better with a band apparently) anyhow got the all important yes for a bypass and then about a month later had an appointment with Prof Clayton who seconded the go ahead and made application for funding on my behalf. I was sent for an endocryne test in June which came back ok. I waited till September and phoned Dr Cheruvu's secretary as i hadn't heard anything. She was off sick and i was told to wait. Today i phoned and to my surprise she was back at work and casually told me that i had the funding and that the operation will be this side of Xmas so i am thrilled! I have to phone on Friday and she will hopefully have date for me xx

Hi there, i went to my doctor i Feb 09 and he referred me to Dr Cheruvu at the University Hopsital of North Staffordshire. Mt fisrt app was in March where he asked me about previous diet history and whether i prefer sweet or savoury foods (sweet eaters are better with a band apparently) anyhow got the all important yes for a bypass and then about a month later had an appointment with Prof Clayton who seconded the go ahead and made application for funding on my behalf. I was sent for an endocryne test in June which came back ok. I waited till September and phoned Dr Cheruvu's secretary as i hadn't heard anything. She was off sick and i was told to wait. Today i phoned and to my surprise she was back at work and casually told me that i had the funding and that the operation will be this side of Xmas so i am thrilled! I have to phone on Friday and she will hopefully have date for me xx

Thats fantastic!!!
Waiting for a date is the worst ever......
I know, i am also waiting to hear.
I really hope mine is before christmas, start off the new year as a new me!!
Good luck for friday's phonecall. !!

I have a high BMI plus co morbids but was told flat out by my GP that wls funding was not available in Wales, surely this can't be true. I'm having to use my life's savings to go private.It makes me so angry.

Hi there, I do feel sorry for you, I wish I could win the lottery to pay for my surgery, have been turned down twice now, and am awaiting third decision, not sure what I will do if it is another NO. Wishing you all the very best in your journey, and I am sure you will be really successful, lots of love xx

HI, For all those Welsh folk... I was at a suppoert group meeeting on Wed this week at Salford and the Dr There asked if I would have a chat with a Dr from Wales who had brought a group of professionals up from Wales as they are looking into commissioning services from Salford for bariatric surgery and how the patients are supported before and afterwards. So fingers crossed they must be coming round to the idea....

A question though... have been for all the tests.. sleep studies, ecg, and all that. Been told as My BMI is alsmost 60 I fullfill all criteria and Dr at Salford has put in his letter gastric bypass is only realistic treatment option. My GP is fab and completely on board. However spoke to funding women at my pct and she is now saying i need to do a weight managment course in the pct for 6 months to 'show commitment'??? I live in Leigh (PCT is wigan ashton and leigh) has anyone else come across this or live near me.. HELP IM GOING TO EXPLODE OR WORSE.. just keep crying and dont know how to stop......

Hi...
I attended a support group meeting at Salford Last Wednesday and there was a group of health professionals from Wales looking into using Salford Royal for their weight loss surgery and seeing how support works ect.. So they must be coming round to the ideas?? Hope this helps??

Also I was refered by my GP, had tests done, sleep studies ect and have been recommended by Dr to have bypass. Now been told by funding lady at my PCT i need to do a 6 months weight managenent program in the pct.. I prob will get funding but this is wot they ask for. I am struggleing to work now with my pain (knees).I meet all Nice guidlines and then some (BMI60) and just cant see how waiting another 6 months doing a drop in the ocean diet will make any difference...
my PCT is Ashton,Wigan and Leigh.. Has any one else got any experience with these..
Cany stop crying, so fed up now, dont know wot to do???
XX
HELP!! XX

I have no advice to give you as i am not in your pct! All i can say is they have said do 6 months and you will be funded. Bite the bullet, do the course, have your surgery. Enjoy the rest of your life. Six months will go past so quickly, following (or trying) their diet/healthy living plan will show your commitment to your wls and the changes that you will make then....

Good luck and looking forwarded to your post in July that you've been referred for surgery :) xx

Hi...
I attended a support group meeting at Salford Last Wednesday and there was a group of health professionals from Wales looking into using Salford Royal for their weight loss surgery and seeing how support works ect.. So they must be coming round to the ideas?? Hope this helps??

Also I was refered by my GP, had tests done, sleep studies ect and have been recommended by Dr to have bypass. Now been told by funding lady at my PCT i need to do a 6 months weight managenent program in the pct.. I prob will get funding but this is wot they ask for. I am struggleing to work now with my pain (knees).I meet all Nice guidlines and then some (BMI60) and just cant see how waiting another 6 months doing a drop in the ocean diet will make any difference...
my PCT is Ashton,Wigan and Leigh.. Has any one else got any experience with these..
Cany stop crying, so fed up now, dont know wot to do???
XX
HELP!! XX

Hi Podgey i am sorry you are having a hard time because of pain and i can totally relate to that.
Quite a few Pct`s ask their patients to follow a weight management clinic and some can be as long as a year.
Unfortunately when we are going through the Nhs we have to jump through all the hoops b4 we can get our ops, there have been quite a few members on here who have done the Weight management clinics.
If they say you will get funding after the 6 months period then ur op should not be 2 long after that as u have done all the necessary tests.

I know it seems a long time and a waste of time but at the end of this you will have ur surgery so it will be worth it.
When i started my Nhs journey in June last year there is no way i thought that i could get wait 9/12 months for my surgery, as i struggle with serious pain in all my joints and can barely walk but time does go fast and your time will come round.
Take care and chat soon luv Roch xx

Thank you soo much for your kind words.. Just feeling sorry for myself. Not like me as usually such a positive person..
Feel a bit like I am begging for a handout if you know wot I mean...
I wonder as well knowing NHS like I do (work for them). I think they spin it out maybe trying to get people to drop off or dissapear. Or as it is coming up to year end and new bugdet in April (i know we cant spend on the wards til then lol) is it just a stalling tactic...
What ever thae reasoning I am just going get stuck into trying to be as postive as poss.. Keep taking the pain killers and eating as well as I can to not gain any more...

Thank you again... will stop moaning now....:thankyou:

I just got back from my first dietician appointment..... she said I have to attend for 6 months before she will give a report to my GP.... basically I had a stick thin, 20 year old tell me to eat carrot sticks and cucumber instead of chocolate snacks!!! - Ummmm.... In my THIRTY YEARS of dieting I had never thought of that!!! (said in the most sarcastic voice EVER!!!) ..... WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!!!

I just got back from my first dietician appointment..... she said I have to attend for 6 months before she will give a report to my GP.... basically I had a stick thin, 20 year old tell me to eat carrot sticks and cucumber instead of chocolate snacks!!! - Ummmm.... In my THIRTY YEARS of dieting I had never thought of that!!! (said in the most sarcastic voice EVER!!!) ..... WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!!!

My dietician was a young, blonde girl who had never even smelled a chocolate bar in her life! It's just one of the hoops they make you jump through to get to the end goal though!

Hi Podgey, I was at the same meeting with the welsh docs there. I also have had all the tests etc. and been messed around for months but I have been given the funding by Tameside & Glossop pct. They were great, my own GP was cra*!!!
Good Luck x

I've been reading all the minutes from the board meetings of my local health authority (they have to publish them now) and have found out that York PCT are planning to reduce the criteria for wls asap. They currently need you to be 50+ bmi, or 45+ with serious comorbidities, so hopefully they aim to be more in line with the NICE guidelines. Fingers crossed they do it before my doctor applies for funding.

Hi Podgey, I was at the same meeting with the welsh docs there. I also have had all the tests etc. and been messed around for months but I have been given the funding by Tameside & Glossop pct. They were great, my own GP was cra*!!!
Good Luck x

Hi,
Soooo pleased for you to have got sorted:D:D.. Hope you get your date through quickly xxxx

I had a letter from my PCT (Via GP) a few days ago to say the funding meeting is being held today (26th Feb) apparently it is a monthly panel that sits end of each month. Its called (if you can believe) ''EFFECTIVE USE OF RESOURCES PANEL'' . So obviously depends on if im worth it or not lol....:angeldevil:
The letter is a copy of one sent to my gp so Im presuming its the GP they will write back to. I am sitting here with everything I have crossed incase they are talking about my right now!!!

I saw Dr Summers last week at hope (absolutely lovely lady). She said they couldn't refuse as my BMI is 60 and if they do make me go through this 6 months of silly waiting to see if I will lose weight and am committed (might need committing) she would write back and say it's unacceptable. So just waiting and hoping and praying really....
I am definatley going to the next salford meeting on the 3rd. I thought it was fab, a wealth of information and support. The people there really understood how I felt and it was just so nice to be in a room full of people who looked past the fat and saw you as a person in pain just wanting to get better...

J xxxx

Hi there all,

Hope this is the right place to post this.

I posted on here last july and was about to go to my doctors to ask for a refferal. When I went to see him he said I had to do a course at our local leisure center to try to help me first so I waited for a date to start.
After receiving a date I attended the course, and although I found it really fun and informative I didnt lose any weight.

On going back to my gp for help he told me he wont reffer me for funding until I have been on a diet (with diet pills) through them for a year!!

Now, on looking at the pct I have found that West sussex use the NICE criterea and nothing else - so why wont he help.

I have done the diet pills before and they just made me feel ill. I have turned them down at the moment as I am having a lot of after effects from having my gallbladder removed some years ago and basically, I cant have any more toileting issues if you know what I mean!??!

Is there any way to contact the pct directly??

Thanks xxx

Oh and my BMI is over 50!

Last edited:
Hi there all,

Hope this is the right place to post this.

I posted on here last july and was about to go to my doctors to ask for a refferal. When I went to see him he said I had to do a course at our local leisure center to try to help me first so I waited for a date to start.
After receiving a date I attended the course, and although I found it really fun and informative I didnt lose any weight.

On going back to my gp for help he told me he wont reffer me for funding until I have been on a diet (with diet pills) through them for a year!!

Now, on looking at the pct I have found that West sussex use the NICE criterea and nothing else - so why wont he help.

I have done the diet pills before and they just made me feel ill. I have turned them down at the moment as I am having a lot of after effects from having my gallbladder removed some years ago and basically, I cant have any more toileting issues if you know what I mean!??!

Is there any way to contact the pct directly??

Thanks xxx

Oh and my BMI is over 50!

All this funding thing is a reall ball ache int it??
I contacted my PCT myself.. I looked on their website and got the number and just asked for someone who could advice me on the process. I am now in touch with the lady who does...
I did have to go back to my GP and ask him to refer me but gave him the name and number of the contact at the PCT..
I did also change GP's at the beginning of all this as my old GP just kept os saying ''just don't eat cake and biscuits''. (no **** sherlock lol)..
Any way the funding panel or 'effective use of resourses panel' sits each month in the pct. Mine was last fri so am waiting to hear. I spoke to the lady at the PCT wed and she was typing up reply letter to GPs ask we spoke.
There is always a way xx
Hope this helps in some way.. just have to find out the right person to speak to.. I have heard that some PCTs are making you jump through hoops at present. Just because the purse strings are tight. I did comment on NICE guidlines when I spoke to the PCT but she did say they can be interpreted in several ways... So that means they can bend um to suit..
Any way I will waffle on forever.. lol..
Good luck and hope you get futher xxxxx
J xx

I don't fullfill all the criteria for Norfolk, as I dont have diabeties... But they've been shoving pills down me for years, ive seen dieticians, been to counselling, been diagnosed with eating disorders and all sorts of things. I've always been overweight since childhood but ended up putting on over 5 stone over 3 years in an abusive relationship, my weight has since gone up by another 2 stone but I am 39 weeks pregnant so hopefully at least a stone of this comes off when I give birth!

Im really not sure whether its even worth me attempting to get a band on the NHS, I cannot lose weight on my own and all attempts with the docs and various diets have failed... I can't get it done privatley as the debt my ex left me in has ruined my credit!

I really don't know what to do, but I cant carry on like this! My doc has told me i can have a boob job on the NHS if i want one though lol!

Back