• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A list of NSAIDS To Avoid after Surgery

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
Here is the list of NSAIDs. These are best avoided after stomach surgery Unless prescribed by your surgical team or GP and then they are usually prescribed with a proton pump inhibitor (PPIs) Lansoprazole and omeprazole being the main two
NSAIDs can increase your risk of developing stomach ulcers and having internal bleeding

Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs,

A
Aceclofenac
Acemetacin
Acular
(a brand of Ketorolac Trometamol)
Anadin Ibuprofen
(a brand of Ibuprofen)
Anadin Original
(a brand of Aspirin)
Arcoxia
Arthrotec
Aspirin
Aspro Clear
(a brand of Aspirin)
B
Brufen
C
Calprofen
(a brand of Ibuprofen)
Caprin
(a brand of Aspirin)
Celebrex
Celecoxib
(a generic version of Celebrex)
Cuprofen
(a brand of Ibuprofen)
D
Dexibuprofen
Dexketoprofen trometamol
Diclofenac diethylammonium
(a generic version of Voltarol Emulgel)
Diclofenac epolamine
(a generic version of Voltarol Gel Patch)
Diclofenac potassium
(a generic version of Voltarol Rapid)
Diclofenac sodium
Dicloflex
(a brand of Diclofenac Sodium)
Diclomax
Disprin
(a brand of Aspirin)
E
Eccoxolac
(a brand of Etodolac)
Econac
Emflex
(a brand of Acemetacin)
Etodolac
Etoricoxib
(a generic version of Arcoxia)
F
Felbinac
Feldene
Flexin
(a brand of Indometacin)
Flurbiprofen
(a generic version of Froben)
Froben
H
Hedex Ibuprofen
(a brand of Ibuprofen)
I
Ibuprofen
Indolar
(a brand of Indometacin)
Indometacin
K
Keral
(a brand of Dexketoprofen Trometamol)
Ketocid
(a brand of Ketoprofen)
Ketoprofen
Ketorolac trometamol
Ketovail
(a brand of Ketoprofen)
L
Lodine
(a brand of Etodolac)
M
Mandafen
(a brand of Ibuprofen)
Mefenamic
Meloxicam
Micropirin
(a brand of Aspirin)
Mobic
Mobiflex
(a brand of Tenoxicam)
Motifene
N
Nabumetone
Napratec
Naprosyn
Naproxen
Naproxen sodium
(a generic version of Synflex)
Nurofen
(a brand of Ibuprofen)
Nu-Seals
(a brand of Aspirin)
O
Orudis
(a brand of Ketoprofen)
Oruvail
(a brand of Ketoprofen)
P
Pardelprin
(a brand of Indometacin)
Piroxicam
Ponstan
(a brand of Mefenamic Acid)
Powergel
(a brand of Ketoprofen)
R
Relifex
(a brand of Nabumetone)
S
Seractil
(a brand of Dexibuprofen)
Solaraze
Surgam
(a brand of Tiaprofenic Acid)
Synflex
T
Tenoxicam
Tiaprofenic Acid
Tolfenamic Acid
Traxam
(a brand of Felbinac)
V
Voltarol
Voltarol Dispersible
Voltarol Emulgel
Voltarol Gel Patch
Voltarol Rapid

wannabeminime

Hi Wendy, can i just add that sleevers are eventually allowed NSAIDS (but always go with your providers advice)once their tummies have healed. This was one of my reasons for choosing a sleeve. :)

Very useful info for bypassers though!!

stuckinafatsuit

POPPED THAT FAT SUIT!
Hi
I took ibuprofen from the start, as recommended by the team. It must be different for bypassers?

Kim

funky24

great list there thanks hun, im gonna print it off and put it in my folder :) x

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
Hi Wendy, can i just add that sleevers are eventually allowed NSAIDS (but always go with your providers advice)once their tummies have healed. This was one of my reasons for choosing a sleeve. :)

Very useful info for bypassers though!!

I had problems with NSAIDs before my op so its not just bypassers that have a problem with them.

NSAIDs are also best avoided by anyone who has a history of
having heart failure
having advanced chronic kidney disease
having a previous history of heart disease
having high blood pressure (hypertension)
having a high cholesterol level
being a smoker
being overweight or obese
being over 65 years old
being a heavy drinker of alcohol

Some people with asthma find that taking a NSAID can make their asthma symptoms more severe

Pregnant women
The use of NSAIDs during pregnancy is not recommended unless paracetamol does not effectively treat a particular condition. If a NSAID is to be used, ibuprofen is the safest medication during pregnancy.
However, it should be taken at the lowest possible dose to treat symptoms for the shortest possible time. NSAIDs, including ibuprofen, should never been taken from the 30th week of pregnancy onwards.

Breastfeeding women
The use of NSAIDs during breastfeeding is not recommended unless it is felt that the benefits of treatment outweigh the risks to your baby. If a NSAID is to be used, ibuprofen will be recommended at the lowest possible dose for the shortest possible time needed to treat symptoms.

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
Hi
I took ibuprofen from the start, as recommended by the team. It must be different for bypassers?

Kim

I have always said ONLY on the advise of your medical team.
Saying that my medical team and my GP have both prescribed them knowing that I have had trouble in the past and I have had to suffer the pain.
I always question my team and my GP about any medicines prescribed now, Because even they make mistakes sometimes

stubad

so that all of them then lol, i know that as bypassers you get something from the lanzoprazole family but wasn't aware that it caused ulcers, i have only ever known it as a treatment for ulcers and to prevent reflux caused by such conditions, i know that most nsaids should be avoided in conditions that cause gastric inflamation or irritation such as ulcer, ibs, cholitis and d and v, so its understanderbal that u wouldnt use them following any sort of gastric procedures and for a good time after aswell, its good to have a full list though as sometimes gp's can't be trusted and u never know if ur taking one by a new supplier or name, thanks for the list

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
so that all of them then lol, i know that as bypassers you get something from the lanzoprazole family but wasn't aware that it caused ulcers, i have only ever known it as a treatment for ulcers and to prevent reflux caused by such conditions, i know that most nsaids should be avoided in conditions that cause gastric inflamation or irritation such as ulcer, ibs, cholitis and d and v, so its understanderbal that u wouldnt use them following any sort of gastric procedures and for a good time after aswell, its good to have a full list though as sometimes gp's can't be trusted and u never know if ur taking one by a new supplier or name, thanks for the list

lanzoprazole doesn't cause ulcers it helps to protect your stomach from acid

I was trying to say
If you are advised to take NSAIDs by your team or GP you should be taking lanzoprazole as well to protect your stomach.
Sorry if it came across wrong :D

Nanny Og

Oh bums!

I was going to ask my doc for ponstan to help the awful periods I'm getting every 18-20 days. (personally hoping it's my age and they're going to disapear soon)

Evenstarr

Wow what a list!
Thanks a lot, going to do as a previous poster said and print t out for future reference.
Em xxx

wannabeminime

I had problems with NSAIDs before my op so its not just bypassers that have a problem with them.

QUOTE]

I meant in terms of WLS, generally sleevers can take them, (with PPIs) unless they have any of the conditions you have outlined, which applies to the general population, not just WLS peeps. Or unless told not to take them by their providers.

Quote; Those patients who take NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) for arthritis can continue the medication after Sleeve Gastrectomy. (These medications are to be avoided after the adjustable gastric band (erosion) and especially after the gastric bypass (ulcers).

From;Oxford Bariatric :: Weight Loss Procedures :: Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser

QUOTE]

I meant in terms of WLS, generally sleevers can take them, (with PPIs) unless they have any of the conditions you have outlined, which applies to the general population, not just WLS peeps. Or unless told not to take them by their providers.

Quote; Those patients who take NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) for arthritis can continue the medication after Sleeve Gastrectomy. (These medications are to be avoided after the adjustable gastric band (erosion) and especially after the gastric bypass (ulcers).

From;Oxford Bariatric :: Weight Loss Procedures :: Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve

I would still advise sleevers to proceed with caution.
I have seen the research that says sleevers do not dump but then know of sleevers that have dumped
Even though weight loss surgery has been around for a while now I still think that the surgeons are still learning about what can and can't happen with each individual.
No one surgeon can say why some people dump and others don't or why one person gets to a healthy BMI easily and others struggle :rolleyes:
I suggest that if you or anyone else ever have any pain from taking NSAIDs or any other medication, whoever prescribes it, you should always report back to them ASAP
It took me 3 days before I put the pain down to the tablets (before my op) I dread to think of what effect it would have had on my new plumbing if I'd have left it that long post op

suzie290304

Totally agree :) my bariatric team say sleeves can have NSAIDs from 3 months post op but I have done my own research and with the sleeve being quite a new procedure they haven't got long term studies on whether or not it does affect the stomach and give people higher risks of ulcers, and also the difference between long and short term use of NSAIDs with the sleeve. Also some hospitals say NSAIDs are a no with the sleeve just like with a bypass. So for now I'm willing to give them a miss as they also stop fast tabs from 3 months post op too so would like to protect my new pouch as much as I can :) this is my own choice though as I can do without them without it affecting my health x

OOnion

No one is really safe taking NSAID's long term especially without a PPI - good work Wendy!
However a sort sharp course occasionally for 3 days only is unlikly to do any harm to a bander, bypass, sleever or even someone who has had an ulcer in the past. It's a good group of drugs and does not need to be totally avoided. Suppository and gel versions of the drugs completely by pass the stomach so are more than safe to use.
I do however go along with the others and would always say check with your team.
xx

Last edited:

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
No one is really safe taking NSAID's long term especially without a PPI - good work Wendy!
However a sort sharp course occasionally for 3 days only is unlikly to do any harm to a bander, bypass, sleever or even someone who has had an ulcer in the past. It's a good group of drugs and does not need to be totally avoided. Suppository and gel versions of the drugs completely by pass the stomach so are more than safe to use.
I do however go alone with the others and would always say check with your team.
xx

I thought the reaction I had was due to feeling ill until I stopped taking the prescribed tablets. I honestly thought I was dying it was that bad worse than having my 3 kids.
I had a bad reaction to the suppository given to me by the surgical team.
I must be really sensitive to it and avoid the gels as well Its just not worth the pain it causes me.

OOnion

You poor thing you sound like you are now very sensitive to them - but eh I bet now you're not so big, nothing hurts as much any more?! No knee pain, back ache etc etc xx

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
You poor thing you sound like you are now very sensitive to them - but eh I bet now you're not so big, nothing hurts as much any more?! No knee pain, back ache etc etc xx

I have arthritis in my hips all the pain went at about 3 months post op.
BUT went camping in a tent for the first time last week for a week (always used caravans before) and the hip pain is back.
Whether is was sleeping on an air bed or because I was cold most of the time, I don't know but I can tell you it HURTS:cry:
I have got to go to see my GP to discuss the pain next week.:rolleyes:

chris2710

Could this post be made into a sticky?

lyzzyanne

Happy shrinking bypasser!
I had my preop today and specifically asked the question about Nsaids my consultant has said they are not barred and that I will continue with them as I do now. (I only take them for gout attacks which are now infrequent due to a preventative medicine)

He said that he would prescribe Omiprazole (however that is spelt) to take with the tablets