• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A newbie in AZ: band or bypass?

susi1662

Hello!
My name is Susi, and I started my WLS journey back in April when I attended a Lap-Band Seminar. The next day I went to the consultation, and I decided that I would have WLS.
I have since completed amost all of my insurances requirements, I just need my PCP's clearance letter, which I should get within a couple of days.
I am facing a dilemna though. I am now thinking about getting gastric bypass rather than the Lap-Band. Tomorrow I have an appointment with my dietician, and I am going to discuss it with him. I know that my doctor really pushes the band, so I might get some resistance. If need be, I will look for another surgeon, but hopefully it won't come to that point. Hopefully it won't, if my final decision is to get the bypass.
I know that this is ultimately my decision, but I'd like to hear from people who have been in this situation, and what they decided. Suggestions are welcome from both sides.
Thanks,
Susi :)

BlueDiamond

Hello and welcome too the forum, I was offered the bypass as well as the band and even tho my surgeon was steered more towards the bypass I chose the band and that suited my needs/requirements (I was a big portion eater). Listen too your surgeons advice and I think it all depends what comorbidities you have as well and not forgetting your eating habits, if ur a big portion eater or you have a sweet tooth which is more suitable for bypassers. Wishing you all the best. Julie xx

blueeyes

It was always a bypass for me due to my eating habits (volume or shall I say VOLUME!) and fatty/crappy stuff, so can't really advise, but wish you all the very best on your journey and welcome to the forum!

:welcome:

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I was a volume eater so the band was the right choice for me. I think your doing the right thing discussing it with your dietician. Good luck x

angie790

Irrespective of your consultant's preference, as you quite rightly say, ultimately the decision is up to you. The way to get the best out of your WLS is to identify what sort of eater you are...a volume eater who doesn't snack between meals (band), a high-sugar/carb eater (bypass) etc etc. Also though, you need to consider health-issues...if you are generally healthy but just obese, then a band is perfect; if you have pressing health-issues that would be resolved through weight loss, e.g. borderline type 2 diabetic or overt type 2 diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol etc, then a bypass would probably be more suitable. Have a good chat with your dietician tomorrow, and another chat with your surgeon before making your final decision. Good luck

phatmomma

When i first considered wls 5 years ago i wanted the band and the consultant explained to me why the bypass would suit me better...

I am a volume eater, i am also a sweet tooth and i also love fat fried foods.... Or should i say i used to? I now eat small portions, the smell of greasy foods is not a nice one any longer, i still fight the demon of sweet foods (not dumping is not good) but it's a battle i'm slowly winning...

You need to research and decide that way, there's no going back usually once it's done xxx

Rolanda

Just wanted to say welcome to the site x

susi1662

susi1662 said:
Hello!
My name is Susi, and I started my WLS journey back in April when I attended a Lap-Band Seminar. The next day I went to the consultation, and I decided that I would have WLS.
I have since completed amost all of my insurances requirements, I just need my PCP's clearance letter, which I should get within a couple of days.
I am facing a dilemna though. I am now thinking about getting gastric bypass rather than the Lap-Band. Tomorrow I have an appointment with my dietician, and I am going to discuss it with him. I know that my doctor really pushes the band, so I might get some resistance. If need be, I will look for another surgeon, but hopefully it won't come to that point. Hopefully it won't, if my final decision is to get the bypass.
I know that this is ultimately my decision, but I'd like to hear from people who have been in this situation, and what they decided. Suggestions are welcome from both sides.
Thanks,
Susi :)

Well, I brought up the subject with my dietician, and I still on the fence. I just don't know which would better me.
I am a volume eater, I don't have too much of a sweet tooth, I tend to graze and eat when I am bored. The only comorbidity I have is sleep apnea. I fall in both categories as a good candidate. My diecian feels that I am a perfect candidate for the band because of the success I have had during my 6 month diet. But, to tell the truth, my eating habits have not changed. How I am losing weight is a mystery to me. I need some Divine Intervention, I think! I don't know what to do!

Disneymom

This is really a decision that you need to make for you. Maybe talk to your dr and explain how you're feeling?
Personally, I chose the band and had my surgery today. I am happy with my decision and I'm sure whatever you decide you'll be happy with your decision too!

nikster1975

I too was a grazer and it all depends on what you graze on ie choc, crisps, ice cream etc........ I chose bypass as all these can go straight through a band without any ill effects!!!!! and I know that when I wanted it I could still have had it..... It is a major decision and and wish you luck in whatever method you take xxxx

susi1662

Hello once again! I thought I'd stop in and let you all know what I decided . It took me the whole month of December to make up my mind after doing a lot more reading and soul searching. On New Year's Eve morning, I decided that it would be better for me to get the RNY. That being done, my paperwork was submitted for approval on January 3, 2011. I got my approval and surgery date on Tuesday the 11th. Valentine's Day is going to be my new "birthday"!

penguina

Well done you!
I bet now you have made your decision it is a weight off your mind.

I too started thinking band but think the bypass is the one for me.
Not long for you to wait now, all the best Trisha