• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Addictions since surgery.

baby jayne

Hi All

Ihave read that we can and do replace food addiction after Surgery with other addictions e.g Alcohol, Shopping and gambling....I think I have an addiction to Mini Mims lol as I am every spare momment checking in to see how by Mini Mims freinds are doing and look forward to reading all the new threads etc.
Thought today well at least it's not a bad addiction to have and it keeps me out of mischeif!! Lol.
Do any of you post op peeps think there is any truth in the rumour weswap from food to something else?

absolutely! I used to comfort eat - cant do that now and Ive got no money to shop or gamble so Im screwed! You can also mourn the loss of certain foods apparently!

It can ABSOLUTELY happen if you don't know you are addicted to food or don't address the problem. You can transfer your eating compulsions to other things and it can have terrible consequences on your life. If you feel like you might have or had a food addiction you can ask your team for a mental health referral. That way you can learn new coping skills so you don't tranfer to another type of addiction.

In this case, being self-aware or at least willing to ask for help before you need it can prevent a future disaster!

BTW, I am COMPLETELY addicted to minimins, I am a big junkie for this forum. Have to check it several times per day!

Nic:p

when I lost weight with CD 3 years ago, I became a bit of a clothesaholic because I was able to buy cheaper clothes in regular shops...I also used to spend ages in the supermarket and because I couldn't eat, consoled myself by buying foodstuffs that I thought Hubby & Son would really enjoy...I started feeding them up :eek:

Yep mines clothes too............strangely i've never been into the shopping thing, and used to detest any form of clothes shopping, now i cant get enough of it, infact i'm off out to the factory outlet for another pair of 501's tomorrow after work as i cant possibly wear a baggy pair now can i ? Lol ;)

I totally get the minis thing, but don't get much time on the pooter, there're 6 of us clammering fo a turn.

Addictions: I heard that as much as 25% of people switch addictions. I know I have an addictive personality, my current addictions are a silly bubble game on the DS interspersed with a bit of crochet, which is far more productive but the OH is not impressed, he says we are knee deep in blankets.

I have previously had a shopping thing, I try and limit my activities to charity shops now, that way it doesn't get too expensive. Oh and seperate bank accounts~ his idea funnily enough, and by co incidence that was when I lost weight the last time.

And eBay well what can I say!!! Thank God for minis and the lack of pooter time.

Seriously though, if you know you're that way inclined do something about it. I weaned myself off tetris with crotchet. I've also signed up with a psycotherapist, not for addictions as such, but so's I can offload to someone who could help with perpective pre op. And help me ride out any cold turkey I have going on aftrwards, and ofcourse deal with any addiction transference, coz it's all in the head

my addiction is cadbury's highlights hot choc!! lol

Totally with you Liz on the minis thing - even in bed when my husband's asleep if i don't feel tired i come on just to have a browse it's just nice to know there is always someone around hehehe

My name is Jenni and I'm a Mini'soholic.

I find, like others, that keeping up with people's struggles and triumphs etc really helps me - plus all the support and good advice as well.

I have been doing clothes shopping as I have lost nearly 6 stone since this time last year. I don't want to get too many clothes though as (long may it last) I'm changing shape a lot at the mo. x

I am addicted to minis and I haven't had my op yet. I look at it as a way of stopping me eating while I am typing I can't be eating.

My name is Jenni and I'm a Mini'soholic.

I find, like others, that keeping up with people's struggles and triumphs etc really helps me - plus all the support and good advice as well.

I have been doing clothes shopping as I have lost nearly 6 stone since this time last year. I don't want to get too many clothes though as (long may it last) I'm changing shape a lot at the mo. x
brill loss jeni well done x

dont think i have any addiction transfere as i dont think i was addicted to food but if i had an addiction i know what i would like it to be just missing a vital ingreadient. lol

Back