• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice wanted for a diabetic Current meds - pre- and post op diet

SAM55

Hi

Please can anyone give me information on the consumption of current pill type medication post-op? I am not sure they would all be available in liquid form, and some which are not diabetic related are a must.

Having asked my diabetic GP about diabetic meds and how what happens about their amounts post-op for blood glucose control - she just said, well I suppose we will give you more pills.

The Information handbook given to me by the hospital advises for my PRE-OP diet to discuss with my GP about my meds as they may need to be reduced.

As I have little faith in my GP on her knowledge of WLS (she has only had one patient before) I would like to be more informed before I go and see her please.

Thanks
Sam

Hi Please can anyone give me information on the consumption of current pill type medication post-op? I am not sure they would all be available in liquid form, and some which are not diabetic related are a must. Having asked my diabetic GP about diabetic meds and how what happens about their amounts post-op for blood glucose control - she just said, well I suppose we will give you more pills. The Information handbook given to me by the hospital advises for my PRE-OP diet to discuss with my GP about my meds as they may need to be reduced. As I have little faith in my GP on her knowledge of WLS (she has only had one patient before) I would like to be more informed before I go and see her please. Thanks Sam
really sorry I don't know but good luck X

hi Sam
I was type 2 diabetic prior to my mini bypass and kept taking the meds (metformin) up until the day before my op. Post operative I haven't taken any at all. I did check my blood sugar multiple times per day and found it never went higher than 6.8. I've since had some blood tests and have been told I've reversed the diabetes so if I was you I'd be checking with the wls team rather than the GP (I had to print off and give my GP loads of information on the op as she'd not come across it before but she's been 100% behind me all the way). Not knowing which surgery you're going for I can only give you my experience but good luck. I think if I was you I'd be checking the blood sugar and trying to manage the diabetes as best I could if the GP wasn't much help.

Louise

I dunno what will happen yet as not had the op yet. But the surgeon said as I have been diabetic for 14 yrs I will probably still have to take metformin after but no insulin. The longer you have it the harder it is to reverse x

I dunno what will happen yet as not had the op yet. But the surgeon said as I have been diabetic for 14 yrs I will probably still have to take metformin after but no insulin. The longer you have it the harder it is to reverse x
Thanks Carol. I am type 2 and i have heard on here and from other places that it is possible not to need it afterwards. Good luck with the op.

hi Sam
I was type 2 diabetic prior to my mini bypass and kept taking the meds (metformin) up until the day before my op. Post operative I haven't taken any at all. I did check my blood sugar multiple times per day and found it never went higher than 6.8. I've since had some blood tests and have been told I've reversed the diabetes so if I was you I'd be checking with the wls team rather than the GP (I had to print off and give my GP loads of information on the op as she'd not come across it before but she's been 100% behind me all the way). Not knowing which surgery you're going for I can only give you my experience but good luck. I think if I was you I'd be checking the blood sugar and trying to manage the diabetes as best I could if the GP wasn't much help.

Louise
Hi Louise

That sounds promising and great that yours has been reversed. I had heard before that it might be possible afterwards I won't need any diabetic medication.

Thanks

Hi Sam

The diabetic doctor I saw at SRH said on the LRD, novarapid 10 units, lantus 20-40 units depending on blood sugar levels and 2000g of metformin. After op novarapid only if bm's are over 15, 20 units of lantus and 1 500g of metformin. Hopefully I will only need the metformin.

Carol

I was on metformin, blood pressure meds and cholesterol lowering meds pre op. Diabetic for about three years.
Post op, I'm only on the bloods pressure meds for the time being. They took me off Metformin straight after the op, and sugars have been fine since then. You will need to check those yourself as the GP does not help much at all post op, and your not in Hospital long enough to really get much support there either. - Hope it all goes well for you.

Hi - I came out of hospital no longer needing metformin! Whooo! But I still needed to take all my other meds for my other medical conditions. I was told to break them if they were any bigger than my little finger nail - and to have them one by one with a little sip of water. It took me a while to get them all in but I did it in the end.

Now I can do my usual trick of a handful of pills, one mouthful of water, and down the hatch they go!

Best of luck! :) x

Back