• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Operation, pre op diet and diabeties

BEXS99

Loves this site x
Hiya

I am type 1 diabetic and have to have insulin 4 times a day, I saw my consultant the other day and have to get my blood sugars lower he said for my operation but when on the pre op diet what happens if they go too low and have it hypo, last time had to have sugary tea and jelly babies, but being on pre op diet am just worried about this.

Also have had mixed reports about butter nut squash, is it a carb or not as want to make a soup while on pre op diet.

Also with being diabetic, will I be first on the list for my operation?

well thats question time over, thanks all xx :cry:

Keep a very close eye on your levels throughout the day and ask your medical team what they recommend you take if they drop too low. The carb to calorie ratio for Butternut squash is really high at around %85 (Quick Google search) so you decide if you have it or not. As I've said elsewhere I'd use prepared soups as you can see the ratios easily.

Diabetics are usually done early on the list yes.

hope this helps a bit

as you'll be fasting before the op you will first on the list .............all things are relative when it comes to insulin usage ...........i'm a type 2 i was on insulin before the op (just on metformin now but my sugars will not go down below 10) before the milk diet i too was injecting 4-5 times a day but on the milk diet i only had to do 1 jab at night .................anyways you should be on a sliding scale when in hospital and the nurses will check your sugars every 3 hours

get in touch with your diabetes team they will put your mind at rest

Thanks for that. Joffy where you kept in longer being a diabetic x

Hiya

I am type 1 diabetic and have to have insulin 4 times a day, I saw my consultant the other day and have to get my blood sugars lower he said for my operation but when on the pre op diet what happens if they go too low and have it hypo, last time had to have sugary tea and jelly babies, but being on pre op diet am just worried about this.

Also have had mixed reports about butter nut squash, is it a carb or not as want to make a soup while on pre op diet.

Also with being diabetic, will I be first on the list for my operation?

well thats question time over, thanks all xx :cry:

Hiya

I am presuming you will be done at Salford Royal?

I was done there 12 weeks ago. I am a type 2 diabetic and was on insulin (both basal and bolus) in very large doses. I was first on the list (being diabetic) and insulin was stopped the day before surgery and I have not had any since! and sugars have been between 4-14 which is fantastic considering I could hit the 30's with insulin pre-op :D

I know with you being type 1 you will always need insulin but I can assure you that you will need less and less to gain good control quite quickly.

I had my op on the Wednesday morning and was home by the following afternoon :D

I have always used butternut squash and sweet potatoes as a substitute for potatoes and usually worked out the carb ratio as half of what the potato would be and it always worked for me when trying to guess insulin doses (and works for my skinny type 1 hubby too)

When I had hypos (and on the pre-op diet) I just corrected with 15g of fast acting carbs (eg: fresh orange juice or jelly babies), test after 15 mins and if not coming out of the hypo then another 15g until it was working.

Hope I was helpful xx

Last edited:
Back