• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice

kerrymarie

hey all, not long till op! 6th march for me at SRH my consultant is mr shroeder! and im so scared! haha. i just want to know really what are the essentials to take i dont know what to pack and what i need. Every where i go i take the kitchen sink! so a bit of advice would be great help. Has anybody else got there ops around this time? xx

hi, i'm Carol, i've got my op on 10th March and want to know the same as you so thanks for posting this thread! good luck, i can't wait.

that was my origional date carol but it was brought forward to the 6th march! at this moment in time my body is going through an emotional rollercoaster! xx

Ok, so this has been asked loads of times before, but never mind!

For Sunderland in particular: (because I know the ward!)
nightwear and knickers (plenty - I had stress incontinence when vomiting and the aneasthetic can make you a bit sicky), slippers, flip-flops (I used mine in the wet-room! dressing gown, cardigan or something similar (it can be cold sometimes)
Hair brush, comb, straighteners, dryer, hair products, etc. (I don't travel light!)

Sanitary towels (you will probabaly have a TOTM even if you're not due, the surgery seems to do that to us girls)

toiletries - soap/face-wash, shower gel, shampoo+conditioner, deoderant, perfume (told you I don't travel light ! :D), face cream, make-up? (if you can be bothered), flannels.
Little portable mirror. There are hardly any mirrors in the ward!
Towels.

dry mouth spray for post-op (Boots), tissues, magazines, puzzle books, ipod. Mobile phone and charger. Money to buy TV card. ?ear pugs (you could be in with a snorer!)

NAS squash or NAS flavoured water - the water tastes foul. Your own teabags if you have a preference.

?Eye mask. The ward lights can be bright even at night and an eye mask may hep you sleep!

Loose clothing for going home in, a pillow to hold against your tum when travelling home. (to protect your wounds)
a small donkey to carry it all! :D

Grace xxxx

Last edited:
Thanks, i just wanna ask another few questions too, do they put a catheter in? can u wear pants during surgery? is it a mixed ward? can u take your laptop in?sorry to be a nuisence! i also been told u go in the day before about what time do u go in? xx

I wore pants during surgery but some don't. I don't know how I got away with it, LOL!
It's a mixed ward but separate bays, loos and showers for men and women.

They don't routinely put a catheter in.

I took my laptop in last time with a dongle, it worked fine.

They ask you to go in about 4pm the day before surgery I think. Certainly late afternoon.

You're not a nuisance, ask away, I'm happy to help. :)

Grace xxx

Oh thanks that has put my mind at rest i am such a big worrier! hahahaah afterwaiting 2 years for date i am still scared! How long do ya usually stay in for? late afternoon, i will be worrying all day my op is on a sunday so least ill have saturday nite tv to keep my mind off the op the following day, doubt ill sleep! I just cant wait to get it done now! another question i heard u get really windy? is that true. and also whats the pre op assesment like? whats happens?> xx

Oh thanks that has put my mind at rest i am such a big worrier! hahahaah afterwaiting 2 years for date i am still scared! How long do ya usually stay in for? late afternoon, i will be worrying all day my op is on a sunday so least ill have saturday nite tv to keep my mind off the op the following day, doubt ill sleep! I just cant wait to get it done now! another question i heard u get really windy? is that true. and also whats the pre op assesment like? whats happens?> xx

Erm some people are home 2 days post-op. I stayed in for 5 as I had quite a bad time with 2 lots of anaesthetic (long story).

Yes, you will be very windy post-op. They fill you full of gas to enable them to see to do op laparoscopily. Get some Deflatine in for when you go home, it really helps.
You're bound to be scared, every one is really. But I'm sure you'll be fine.
The pre-op is quite boring really. Just weight, height, BP, bloods, ECG, and swabs for MRSA.
xxx

i would like to be home asap really! but thosp is the best place to be i suppose. i will do i will get that and the dry mouth spray! oh well that dont sound bad, how long does it take? Thanks so much ive been thinking to myself oh i dont know anything at all! ahah xx

i would like to be home asap really! but thosp is the best place to be i suppose. i will do i will get that and the dry mouth spray! oh well that dont sound bad, how long does it take? Thanks so much ive been thinking to myself oh i dont know anything at all! ahah xx

LOL How much does what take?

Good luck with your op and so glad you've linked in with Grace sending huge hugs to you ... we'll be thinking of you, love and hugs... xxx

Oh! not long...maybe half an hour? something like that.

Dry mouth spray - dry mouth spray - and did I mention the dry mouth spray?! It's a godsend and absolutely vital. My most prized possession during my two days in hospital!

Good luck for your surgery, not long now!! :)

thanks, and what happens after that you just go in for surgery? i feel as though im asking hundreds of stupid questions!! hahaxx

You just go in on the day they tell you to at the time they tell you to! Oh...I think you have to ring that day to check they have a bed.

Back