• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol and Scars

LuCo

I've read a few threads where people have asked simple valid questions about alcohol after surgery and have been completely slated by narrow minded idiots that don't know anything about them and usually haven't read the whole thread. So if you are considering replying with a negative comment, don't bother.

I'm due to be "wrapped" a week on Tuesday by Dr Hruby. I don't drink very often and have actually only drank 3 times this year. I don't plan on drinking in the immediate future but am due to get married next September and have my stag do booked for next July.

My first question is, how long after surgery have people gone before having a drink or two?

I don't plan on having my first drink on my stag do as I can't imagine that ending well! I'm hoping to test the water at home from maybe March onwards.

As I won't be telling any of my friends and my stag do is abroad, I was wondering how well other people's scars had healed after 6-7 months?

If it turns out they haven't healed at all well by then, what can my excuse be as to where the scars have come from?:confused:

I hate lying to people but this is something I would much prefer to keep to myself.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice anyone can give me :)

The best person to ask about alcohol would be Dr Hruby. Go by whatever he tells you. I've had a bypass and I've been advised not to drink for 12 months, but it may be different for a wrap.

As for scars, I'm 7 weeks post op today and all of mine are healing well, apart from the largest port scar, which became infected. Alot of people have used bio oil or a really good moisturiser, once they have fully healed and had great results. Hope this has helped you a bit :)

Hi LuCo, I started alcohol about 8 weeks after my sleeve, without any ill effects, except that i cant tolerate red wine any more. I now drink vodka and tonic or similar, but i dont think i could drink anything like the amount i did before. I have maybe 3 shots on a friday night.

As for my scars, my large one(one they remove your stomach through) has healed beautifully, but is red and raised. I guess it'll fade eventually, but i think it will always be visable. Maybe the scars for the wrap arent so big? If they are all small, like the rest of mine, i reckon they'll be gone my next summer. I think a lot depends on your skin colour, age etc though.

Thanks for both of your replies :) I will as Dr Hruby next week when I see him and stick to what he recommends.

I think I will just drink amaretto as even though I rarely drink it never seems to get me drunk, just a bit merry and I've never had a hangover the day after drinking it. Maybe that will change after surgery but I'm prepared for it.

I think I am going to use bio oil in the hope that the scars heal up fairly quickly. I have seen some pictures and they look to have healed really well for other people but I don't know how long after surgery the pictures were.

Thanks again, your advice is much appreciated!! :D

Your welcome, i tried Bio-oil, it soothed the itchiness, but i cant say it helped reduce the scarring (my main scar is about 2 inches long, so not huge). But then i have pale skin, anything would show quite a lot i think!

Say hi to Martin from me! :D:D

I had a couple of jack Daniels over ice 7 weeks put, had 3/4, did feel tipsy and a bit rough the next day, but not too bad!
Am on a proper night out on Saturday and really worried about it, going to have one drink followed by one soft and hope I'll be ok!
My bypass scars are great, going down nicely and I'm only 9 weeks!
You will be fine, test it out at home first and enjoy!
X

My scars are gone except 1 which is fading fast. I use bio oil all the time. My scars went very fast & I was surprised & delighted. I started to have a drink (wine) after about 5 months. I can only have 2 medium size glasses or 1 large pub measure. I just get too drunk as you absorb it after. I was a much heavy drinker before. Also it is empty but high calories so not really the best when you are trying to loose weight but we all need a treat now & again.

Yeah I used to drink quite a bit before my op now I drink very little I drink once a fortnight, and only 2 or 3. i was recently at Blackpool with work mates and I managed from lunch time till 12 t midnight lots of dancing no drinks in some pubs tea in another, vodka n diet coke in others so it can be done. My scars healed quite nicely and are barely visible now.
Best of luck x

Hi Becky, I have got your email and replied :)

So most scars are pretty much gone or very much reduced quite quickly then. That's brilliant news as hopefully no one will notice :p

I don't mind too much about alcohol being empty calories as I rarely drink as it is so should be ok. My big problem is eating too much so I should be pretty much sorted after surgery :D

I'm going to have to work on deflecting peoples attention from me not drinking much. The emphasis will be on me as it's my stag do so I'll have to think of something :rolleyes:

Just tell the you are on some medication which cannot be taken with alcohol as it can make you violently sick, who's guna challenge it, just tell them docs orders one or 2 n thats it. xx

I had a bypass and it's the bypassed intestine that causes the alcohol to be the main problem. I do have a drink now though and have done since I was about 9 months post op. I still can't do wine or alco pops, but seem fine on Rum and diet coke. I stir the fizz out as otherwise I get very uncomfortable. I feel the effects of the alcohol very quickly now, but it wears off at the same rate. I had this surgery to be normal, not to spend the rest of my life being "different".
As far as scars are concerned, mine are no longer visible, and if they were they could be passed off as gall bladder removal scars!
Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage.

Think you n me have lot in common Marie part from you've lost more weight than me. x I like vodka n diet coke n I stir the living daylights outta the coke, do like bit wine but rose goes down better, I like to dance so that take sup a lot of my time stead of drinking xx

Think you n me have lot in common Marie part from you've lost more weight than me. x I like vodka n diet coke n I stir the living daylights outta the coke, do like bit wine but rose goes down better, I like to dance so that take sup a lot of my time stead of drinking xx

Shame you live 5 hours from me or we could've gone out lol x

Hey luco, r u looking forward to next week I am..... me and my sis will see u next Sunday. Xx

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! :)

Hi Lynz, I am looking forward to it thanks, are you? I went through a stage of doubting my decision thinking it wasn't right for me but taking everything into account if definitely is right!

I really just want to get on with it now :D

Yeah me too. Its defo right for me. IV been struggling for 15 years and just wanna get sorted now and a bit of help to be healthy and happy with myself. Look forward to meeting u xxx

well i was thinking if u worried about the scars tell ur friends uve had shingles an ur on antibiotics thats y u dont want to drink much lol x

Back