• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

am i having too much ?? so disappointed !!

deeby

Hi
Im a bit confused, i wasnt given a diet sheet or anything to come home with just told to have liqiuds like soup and smoothies but not how much or how often.
Ive been having a bowl of soup for lunch and a bowl for dinner then a smoothie in the evening, i thought that was ok until i spoke to my friend who said that for the first 4 weeks all she could manage was 1/2 a cup of soup per day and thats it !!

Now im worried that ive been stretching my pouch and its not going to give me any restriction now when i move onto solids,
Does anyone know the actual amount were meant to be having i feel like a failure before ive even started, i really dont want to have put my body through all this for nothing.

Im really angry that i havent been given clear instructions on what im meant to have and more importantly quantities :(

They also havent even mentioned pretein or protein shakes so i havent been having any and i cant help wondering if this is right ?? im feeling so worried now .....

xxx dawn

Last edited:
dont worry huni, its your friend that has the problem, not you. soups and things go through quite quickly so you should be able to manage at least what your having, if not a little bit more. so dont worry.big hugs xxxx

hi again, protein. you could make milky coffee, and if you mix dried milk into your ss milk, that increases the protein. you can also add this to your soups, or make milk shakes, you can also have yogurt, i used to get the muller fruit corner, but i didnt use the fruit bit, i just ate the yogurt, if you think its a bit thick, add a bit of your milk mix to that. there are loads of things you can do, i just cant think off hand, but im sure some one will be along and give you some more suggestions, big hugs xx

The amount you're eating is just fine. As Dawny said liquids and purees slip through the pouch and wont stretch it. Don't panic :)

Ring your provider and ask them to give you the post op diet sheet you should have been give after the surgery. I know you shouldnt have to ask for it but do it for you...... x x

I have not been told to have protein shakes and have no intention of having them, for one I hate shakes and for two I especially hate protein shakes :D

Liquids slip through, so don't worry, the sloppy liquid stuff is to help your pouch have time to heal.

My basic day was:
ready brek, sloppy at first, thicker now
mid morning, milky coffee
lunch: soup or sugar free custard or semolina
mid afternoon milky coffee
dinner as lunch
supper milky coffee
xxx

I can manage half a tin of WW soup per meal & add a bit of low fat cheese for protein. But I also make myself drink the protein as I read in my "return to slender" book that we need to have 60-70g per day. Lack of protein is one of the reasons for hair loss (so the book says)!

hi again, protein. you could make milky coffee, and if you mix dried milk into your ss milk, that increases the protein. you can also add this to your soups, or make milk shakes, you can also have yogurt, i used to get the muller fruit corner, but i didnt use the fruit bit, i just ate the yogurt, if you think its a bit thick, add a bit of your milk mix to that. there are loads of things you can do, i just cant think off hand, but im sure some one will be along and give you some more suggestions, big hugs xx

Hiya Dawny, thanks hun i was feeling really down about it !! trouble is i cant have milk, in any form !!
my team said no yoghurt till the puree stage ?? its a minefield with the aftercare advise from different surgeons i think they should all get together and have a standard for us all to follow at least then we would know where we are !! lol xxx Dawn

The amount you're eating is just fine. As Dawny said liquids and purees slip through the pouch and wont stretch it. Don't panic :)
Thanks Kay, i hope so, :D xxx

Ring your provider and ask them to give you the post op diet sheet you should have been give after the surgery. I know you shouldnt have to ask for it but do it for you...... x x
hi hun, i rang them when i was home and she just briefly told me on the phone but no actual quantities, i dont want to keep pestering them but i may have to !! xxx

I have not been told to have protein shakes and have no intention of having them, for one I hate shakes and for two I especially hate protein shakes :D

Liquids slip through, so don't worry, the sloppy liquid stuff is to help your pouch have time to heal.

My basic day was:
ready brek, sloppy at first, thicker now
mid morning, milky coffee
lunch: soup or sugar free custard or semolina
mid afternoon milky coffee
dinner as lunch
supper milky coffee
xxx
Me too !! i hate milk so much that i couldnt possibly drink it in any form even milkshake !! im glad im not the only one !! In the hospital they told me i could have ready brek then when i rang the bariatric nurse she said i couldnt !! very confusing lol
xxx

I can manage half a tin of WW soup per meal & add a bit of low fat cheese for protein. But I also make myself drink the protein as I read in my "return to slender" book that we need to have 60-70g per day. Lack of protein is one of the reasons for hair loss (so the book says)!
I could probably manage a whole tin :O !! maybe i should just make sure i have 1/2 a tin !! do you have soup a couple of times per day ?
xxx

I agree Dawn, it is a minefield!! We've all had the same surgery but the after care advice differs immensely. Even when people refer to contacting their team, I've never been a telephone number to ring.

I'd be curious to know which area has the best results so that we could see which advice is the best.

My diet says I can have low fat yoghurt (without bits) for the purée stage.

Yes, I have the whole tin over the course of the day but like I say I do add cheese to add protein & this does make it more filling. I had the same worry just after my op, I was convinced I was eating too much & my pouch was massive (ha, ha). But I was assured once we go onto more solid food we'd see/feel a difference.

I agree Dawn, it is a minefield!! We've all had the same surgery but the after care advice differs immensely. Even when people refer to contacting their team, I've never been a telephone number to ring.

I'd be curious to know which area has the best results so that we could see which advice is the best.

My diet says I can have low fat yoghurt (without bits) for the purée stage.

Yes, I have the whole tin over the course of the day but like I say I do add cheese to add protein & this does make it more filling. I had the same worry just after my op, I was convinced I was eating too much & my pouch was massive (ha, ha). But I was assured once we go onto more solid food we'd see/feel a difference.
hi Jo
no i havent been given a phone number either i just have to ring the main switchboard then ask for his secretary, it would be interesting to see if the results differ from what after diets you follow !
im glad im not the only oe ! i was ok till i spoke to my friend, im now wondering if im eating the soup out of head hunger and boredom but i thought i was doing the right thing in trying to get some goodness into me and not going into starvation mode..... lol it is a mine field !!!
xxx

hi dawn, i had yogurt from day 1 and was fine with it, also if you can, get some actimel pro biotic drinks, they are great and also help with any bowel problems a bit later on. as for the milk, i cant think what to suggest, but you could do with another way of getting protein into you, do you not even like the soya/ rice type milks? ill put my thinking cap on, and if i can think of anything, ill post it on here. good luck hun,big hugs xx

hi dawn, i had yogurt from day 1 and was fine with it, also if you can, get some actimel pro biotic drinks, they are great and also help with any bowel problems a bit later on. as for the milk, i cant think what to suggest, but you could do with another way of getting protein into you, do you not even like the soya/ rice type milks? ill put my thinking cap on, and if i can think of anything, ill post it on here. good luck hun,big hugs xx
thanks so much dawny xxx

Below is the link for the post op diet from Charing Cross to give you an idea of whats appropriate.

Post Operative Diet: Gastric By-pass

thanks hun ill have a look xxx

i also had the horlicks lite with a bit of dried milk in it, and i was fine with it, but some ppl dont tolerate it. it makes a nice filling drink, and if u add milk powder, it increases the protein a bit. do u like custard, low sugar/fat custard is fine too.

Dawn - don't worry hun, you're not having too much ! Like others have said, the liquids just pass right through so you can't possibly stretch your pouch at this stage ! I recommend you buy a copy of "Return to Slender"... lots of guidance there and recipes for all stages. xx

i also had the horlicks lite with a bit of dried milk in it, and i was fine with it, but some ppl dont tolerate it. it makes a nice filling drink, and if u add milk powder, it increases the protein a bit. do u like custard, low sugar/fat custard is fine too.

Eureka !!!! :D lol yes !! i like hot choc so i could make that with milk and although custard isnt my fave i could manage that thanks Dawny youre a star !! ( well you would be with a name like Dawn ;0 )
xxx Dawn

Dawn - don't worry hun, you're not having too much ! Like others have said, the liquids just pass right through so you can't possibly stretch your pouch at this stage ! I recommend you buy a copy of "Return to Slender"... lots of guidance there and recipes for all stages. xx
Hi Rose i think ive said this in another post but i have got a copy of return to slender on your advice a few weeks ago :D ive made a couple of the recipes too but a bit worried about protein xxx

Mix up some fortified milk

4spoons of powdered skimmed milk with a pint of skimmed milk.
14g protien per 200 ml i use it for cocoa and its lovely

Mix up some fortified milk

4spoons of powdered skimmed milk with a pint of skimmed milk.
14g protien per 200 ml i use it for cocoa and its lovely
thanks hun ill give it a try :D
xxx Dawn

Back