• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

another newbie

douster

Hi I'm Lou, 44 and live in Lincoln. Today i saw my GP who has yes to referring me for a gastric sleeve :)
( needs to chk i tick all criteria boxes, if not will make sure i do) anyway i;m 23st 6lb and have MS which the weight is making my life even harder.
so looking forward to getting to know and any help/advice you can give i'd be really chuffed. ahhh so excited, happiest day in a long time xx

Hi Douster,

I was 23 stone 8 lbs at referral and am now down to 16 stone 4 lbs and feeling pretty confident my sleeve will now get me all the way to goal which is 12 stone or less.

Sometimes I cannot believe how easy my sleeve now makes life !! Only regret is that I didn't have it sooner -- best wishes with your journey. :)

Sharon
x

omg sharon just looked at ur profile, u lost that much since 17.4.12 holy cow!
well done, have you found it hard? painful? xx

omg sharon just looked at ur profile, u lost that much since 17.4.12 holy cow!

If you look carefully only 4 stone 3 lbs are since my op on 17.4.12 and 3 stone was lost prior to the op (not all on pre-op diet -- only 10 lbs lost on the pre op diet as I had been generally trying to lose for several months prior to the surgery).

have you found it hard? painful? xx

Neither hard nor painful.

For the first time in my life losing weight has become easy. Portion and appetite is now "child's play" (literally) as I can only eat what a 4 year old child would eat.

"easy peasy lemon squeezy" !!!!

hi good luck with your journey i was 21st 3lb at my heaviest and i now weight 16st 1lb feel amazing had my op on 24 may 2012 x

so my update so far, have my pre op appt next tue... im having a bypass cos last time i had a relapse of my ms i had high dose steriods IV and they gave me heartburn so something about sleeve more likely to do that so choose the bypass. ive lost 2 and half stone so far which is amazing for me... not scared just very excited
any tips would be really great
thanks x

Welcome back to the forum Lou. So excited for you.that weight loss is great - you must be chuffed. Had my bypass on 9 July. Am now two weeks+ back on solid food which is a steep learning curve of trial and error. But I feel great and don't regret it at all. my experience of the actual op and initial recovery was uneventful - hard to believe I had major surgery! But my body reminds me as it should if I try to eat too much or the wrong things. Result!

As far as giving you tips - I'd say just do EXACTLY what your provider says to do every step of the way, no matter how challenging it may seem. Also, communicate - with your team, and indeed on here. If you are excited then you are in the zone. This is the start of your new life. Congrats hun.

X

Hi and welcome douster. Im like you in that I wanted a sleeve but was told no because I have reflux issues so we settled for the bypass .. 16 days post op now and no regrets what so ever :). I also get frequent steroid courses so not sure how that will go with my little pouch in the future.... Oh btw although I am still on my liquid diet i have had no more reflux despite me trying loads foods that i know aggravate it :D

Forgot to say well done on your weight loss too Lou. It all helps :). At the beginning of my journey back in January my surgeon asked me why I was managing to lose the weight when before I found it impossible... I said because suddenly the mountain that was me didn't seem so insurmountable anymore... At my heaviest I was 27&1/2st and at that point i was 23st. I am now just under 18st :)

Back