• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello, another Noob!

elesecks

Hi all, I am very very much a newbie, as I was only asked 10 days ago at my GP Surgery if I had ever considered a Gastric Band, and told that if I was interested, my GP would be happy to refer me.

I don't personally know anyone who has had weight loss surgery, so since then I have been polling people who know people and researching online, and have decided to commence the referral process when I see my GP again this Friday.

I am 43, married, and weigh 420lbs approx (30 stone):cry: I have tried dieting almost constantly for the past 27 years, managing to lose and put more on, lose and put more on etc. etc...

I live in Sedgley in the West Midlands, working in Wolverhampton; and my local hospitals which do the operation as far as I can see are Walsall Manor, Princess Royal Telford and Birmingham Heartlands. My family have had bad experiences at Walsall Manor (not weight surgery) and I don't fancy having to go to the other side of Birmingham for appointments, so I am hoping to ask to be referred to Telford.

Does anyone have any experience of these personally? or any other help would be much appreciated!!

Hi all, I am very very much a newbie, as I was only asked 10 days ago at my GP Surgery if I had ever considered a Gastric Band, and told that if I was interested, my GP would be happy to refer me.

I don't personally know anyone who has had weight loss surgery, so since then I have been polling people who know people and researching online, and have decided to commence the referral process when I see my GP again this Friday.

I am 43, married, and weigh 420lbs approx (30 stone):cry: I have tried dieting almost constantly for the past 27 years, managing to lose and put more on, lose and put more on etc. etc...

I live in Sedgley in the West Midlands, working in Wolverhampton; and my local hospitals which do the operation as far as I can see are Walsall Manor, Princess Royal Telford and Birmingham Heartlands. My family have had bad experiences at Walsall Manor (not weight surgery) and I don't fancy having to go to the other side of Birmingham for appointments, so I am hoping to ask to be referred to Telford.

Does anyone have any experience of these personally? or any other help would be much appreciated!!

Welcome to the forum, good luck on your journey :) I don't have experience of those hospitals - just wanted to say hello :) xx

Make sure you do the research- I was going to have a band- read a lot about it and decided on gastric plication instead- this isn't available here on nhs- would probably had a sleeve if I'd have got fundingx

hi and welcome i dont know hospitals near you but am a simular weight to you at the moment , i have had a band and am now waiting for bypass instead, bernadette is correct about reasearching and listen to what the bariatric team advise i ignored them and thought the band was the right route for me but it wasnt , that said there are people on here who have had fab results with band:)

I am currently under the bariatric team @ Telford,there are three surgeons,Mr Sigurdsson,Mr Riera & Mr Rink,all are well versed in bariatric surgery & have a great team around them,outpatient appts are @ PRH Telford,but surgery is carried out @ RSH Shrewsbury

Welcome to the forum x

As the others say, listen to the bariatric team and do your own research before deciding which surgery to have. Your GP may well have mentioned band as a generic term while there are other options.

Good luck on your journey x

I wouldn't be surprised that given your BMI that the bariatric team would plump for a bypass rather than a band

Hello and welcome I was referred for a band and after much research I have opted for the sleeve I would say research each surgery in depth and decide what's right for you, but I do no that my PCT wouldn't entertain the idea of a band for me ( I wouldn't want one anyway) and im 360lb they wanted me to have the bypass but I wasn't happy with that so I went for the sleeve.
good luck with your decision and were all here to support you all the way x x

Back