• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

antibiotics post bypass??

tammy

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Having partied all weekend in Ireland i lost my voice. initially thinking this was just down to the singing, dancing and alcohol i played it down but ended up having to see the dr who said i had a throat infection. he has prescribed me strong antibiotics but i have had an upset tummy since starting them. is this just coincidence or can the bypass affect you ability to digest/ manage these pills??

anyone had any problems similar or any advice. thanks xx

I had antib's a few weeks ago for pharyngitis and found that I am now intolerant to them and had an allergic reaction lol, so it seems the op can affect your reaction to antib's!

It's worth going back to your GP as it might just be a case of trying a different type.

still feel really grim and have no voice. have a job interview on thursday so just hope my voice has come back and i'm not running to the loo every couple of minutes!!! won't look good eh!! x

Just offering my opinion, I'm sure someone with more experience will be along shortly. Many, many people have sensitivity to anti-biotics in general and get stomach discomfort. Is it the drug something you have had in the past without trouble? I have had many throat/ear infections so I have taken many different ones and some just make me miserable. I was always told (pre-surgery) to limit my dairy while taking them and take them while eating which gives a bit of a buffer. Again, this was all pre-surgery so maybe others on here might have better advice. Good luck and feel better!

Hi Tammy,

Sorry to hear you're not well, hope you are on the mend though. Just to say, I had strong antibiotics a couple of weeks ago for a UTI, and was fine. But I have reacted strangely to other medications, that I had taken before the bypass with no problems at all. Reacted to the point of "seeing things" that arent there! lol. Not much help I know, but just wanted to say. Maybe now you arent able to tolerate certain meds. If you are still getting an upset tum, I would ask for a different med, to see if it makes a difference. Get well soon!

Kel xx

sos to hear you are unwell hun..
hey at least you dont have to voice on here and you can chat with us without putting throat under pressure lol.
takecare emmax

Thanks everyone, it seems to have settled down a bit today! well at least not running to the loo every 5 minutes ha ha. have had these antibiotics before just not this strength so it may be that or that i am more sensitive after the bypass. sure it will be fine and my voice is starting to come back (my hubbie is gutted he was enjoying the peace and quiet!!!) x

Back