• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre Op Bypass Questions !

ThinnerJemima

Here all the time.....
I have so many questions that I need to get some of them down, before I go stark raving mad. Some of them are really silly, so apologies in advance.

1. Can you still be sick with a bypass. I have had a lifetime of throwing up for no particular reason at all. If I can't be sick anymore where does it go? Maybe this will end this saga once and for all !!

2. What do you dump on. I am totally addicted to milk, do you dump on this. Do you dump on low sugar ketchup.

3. Do sugar free with sweeteners make you dump?

4. For any gym bunnies can you drink and exercise, I simply can't with the band. Full stop.

5. Probably on a per Consultant basis, but if you have no other underlying issues how long do you take Lansaprazole for?

6. Do you still get more tightness in the morning (or after a lie down) as I do with the band.

7. How often do you have to have bloods taken for deficiencies?

8. Having the band has really changed my taste buds and things that I used to like can make me vomit. Will this change again for the better (i.e. I will eat things) or have others had more foods & drinks added to the 'I'm not eating that list'

9. I occasionally have a tube to breathe put down my throat, will the ability to have this be affected by the bypass. It's not to my stomach, just to keep airways open as my throat swells up.

Thank you lovely people in advance ;)

First off there are no silly questions! I am going to answer them from my perspective, but other people will have other experiences and I am sure you will get a variety of answers!

1. Can you still be sick with a bypass. I have had a lifetime of throwing up for no particular reason at all. If I can't be sick anymore where does it go? Maybe this will end this saga once and for all !!
Yes I can still be sick, although it does not happen often thank goodness

What do you dump on. I am totally addicted to milk, do you dump on this. Do you dump on low sugar ketchup.
I don't seem to dump at all which can be quite hard as I am still able to eat whatever I want so still need to control the portions of the 'naughty foods'

Do sugar free with sweeteners make you dump?
No, I don't dump on anything

For any gym bunnies can you drink and exercise, I simply can't with the band. Full stop
I went to the gym for a while and could drink and exercise ok. Just make sure you check with your provider as to when you can start going to the gym etc.

Probably on a per Consultant basis, but if you have no other underlying issues how long do you take Lansaprazole for?
As you say this is probably on an individual consultant preference. I took an equivalent before the bypass and still take Lansaprozole now

Do you still get more tightness in the morning (or after a lie down) as I do with the band
My tummy gets tight and sore when I eat too much! Other than that no feelings of tightness at all.

How often do you have to have bloods taken for deficiencies?
I am nearly two years out and still get bloods done each six months (or thereabouts)

I occasionally have a tube to breathe put down my throat, will the ability to have this be affected by the bypass. It's not to my stomach, just to keep airways open as my throat swells up
I have no experience of this, but would not have thought it would cause a problem at all, as you can have endoscopies done so long as they are not 'blind'.

Back