• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any runners out there? And people with loose skin - what do you do?

top_kat

One thing I've never been able to do is run - all my life I've been too big and it has been a struggle to walk let alone run anything more than across the road.

Now that I've lost 10 stone and still a way to go, I'm hitting the gym 5-7 days a week, I walk a good hour + a day, but want to do something to cross train and am considering running.

There is a ladies running club which is starting a beginners course this evening, but one of my issues now is that while I've lost weight, I have lots of loose skin around my stomach (it hangs down badly) and when I run it shakes around, but also it ends up causing like a suction and makes noises which is really embarrassing.

If you have encountered a similar issue, what do you do to get past the skin? I've even thought of taping it down LOL or wondering whether a pair of tight fitting lycra shorts or a body shaping shorts may keep it in place.

Also, for the runners - what are the biggest issues in terms of it being a form of exercise? It will be road running rather than in a gym, are there things I need to think of more than I would for gym?

Any hints, tips on the skin issue or the running would be fab :)

And some bravery to try to get me there - I dont know anyone going so its not as if I can hide with someone at the back LOL and will be on full view to everyone as its outside . . . hmmmmmm :rolleyes::eek:

I would agree about getting some bodyshapers or tight fitting lycra. Think of it like a sports bra for the excess skin.

I don't know much about running, although I did start myself at the beginning of the year, but this is what I know. Good running shoes, preferably with a proper fitting with a trained professional. Warm up and stretching - do it. Start gently to avoid injury and build up with a proper programme. Stay hydrated.

Thank you Rae, I do have like a body stocking for the lower half for a dress I wore on holiday that the bumps needed to go for am wondering whether that may do the trick.

The running club are doing a full intro session so it would be about warm ups, warm downs, breathing etc etc so in that way, I wouldn't be doing it alone LOL but, doing it alone makes me not want to go if that makes sense lol

I had a personal trainer who told me to get on with it as I had a list of excuses as long as my arm. When I got to the stage where I couldn't answer her, she turned the treadmill down. If I could talk too easily, she sped it up!

Most important a firm holding sports bra to keep everything motionless in the top department. For the stomach get some really tight lycra shorts to hold everything in place as under garment and then have a top pair to wear on top.

Also go to a proper running shop where they do gait analysis and get trainers that you need. The first pair will cost an arm and a leg, but you can then get the upgrade pair off the Internet, I use sportshoes.com. Change them every 3-4 months.

And enjoy it. I love running, I've done 2 marathons when large, God only knows how. I'm more like a whippet by comparison now, not fitter just faster as 40kg have been left somewhere.

well I did it!

I went lol

Used my "spanx" til I can get to the sports shop and I worked great Under my leggings :)
I already have my gym trainers for running altho they are getting a little big, but I went, I wasn't the biggest there apart from one lol (a new thing for me) but more so I didn't struggle. The warm up made me feel very warm but the run out itself was great.

They started doing 20 paces brisk walk with 20 jogging for first quarter of mile but after that I just went and wasn't far behind the returning runners group and I jogged the next mile - my thighs ache now, but it feels great and I didn't feel out of place or more so judged! I may even start trying to fit in a couple more as a different exercise

(Altho whether I will feel that way in the morning I don't know lmao)

And wow Jemima to marathons - I'd love to be able to do one, my aim was a walking one next year, but now I've started running who knows :)

So impressed hon - well done! You should be pleased with yourself :D

Well done you! Take it steady so you don't get an injury.

Don't use your gym trainers, have a specific proper fitting pair for running. They are usually 1/2 size bigger so you don't lose your toenails.

26.2 miles is a stupid distance and a really stupid thing to do. Half marathon is enough of a challenge for the rest of my life.

Well done.x

Well done top_kat! Really admire you - how are your legs doing this morning? When I do exercise it is normally the second day after it that it hits me!

Justine x

Thank you!

I ached more last night, but then I had to go on a dog walk after the run and I don't think that helped. But I ache this morning in odd places, just under my ankle bone on my left foot, outside of my left thigh, inside of the right and underneath my right shoulder blade LOL

But apart from that, am doing ok - don't know how I will feel when I hit the gym this afternoon tho - think it may be a little painful. But more so, Im so pleased I went and am looking forward to next week, although am a little tempted to try and fit in a mile or two before then to see how I get on :)

Thank you!

I ached more last night, but then I had to go on a dog walk after the run and I don't think that helped. But I ache this morning in odd places, just under my ankle bone on my left foot, outside of my left thigh, inside of the right and underneath my right shoulder blade LOL

But apart from that, am doing ok - don't know how I will feel when I hit the gym this afternoon tho - think it may be a little painful. But more so, Im so pleased I went and am looking forward to next week, although am a little tempted to try and fit in a mile or two before then to see how I get on :)

LOL - the places that we think will ache are normally ok and then, as you say, it's the weird places that niggle the most!

Are you going to download an app that tracks how far you run? A couple of my friends have one they put on facebook and it is amazing how quickly the km's and miles add up! One of them did a marathon distance spread over a week!

Justine x

Hi Justine,

I've just found an app that does just that but as I'm running in an area I'm not familiar with and the coach chooses the route I will log it when I've done. I've just calculated the routes I do for my dog walks and have found a 1.13 mile run so I'm going to endeavour to do that twice before next weeks running club. The others are 1.6, 1.9 and a 3 miler, so I can build up LOL

At the moment, my knee keeps giving way so I wont be doing one today LOL

plus, I seriously need to get a bath installed LOL

Good on you Kat! I absolutly HATE running, so I admire anyone who can run and enjoy it.

My OH is a keen runner and his tips are, good running shoes, layers, good running socks, hydration and some good tunes.

Enjoy hun xx

Yes I have to say Mazza, I missed the tunes while I was running - as its a group we all run out together and carry on a conversation while running LOL

But running shoes I will invest in and some thick socks and maybe some clothes too . . . :)

Just saw this thread. Was wondering how you're getting on with running. I have to echo what others said about running shoes. A good pair cost a lot of money, but it's important that you get a good pair, as wrong trainers could cause injuries. Hope you're still enjoying running. X

Back