• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any Scots needing an abdominoplasty?

goodsoul86

Hi there!

Long story short: i've lost 15 stone since i was at my biggest 4 years ago, 12 stone of which has came since last January.

I've obviously got some sagging skin issues. While i have no basis of comparison, my abdominal area does seem to be in a pretty bad way.

i have an appointment with a plastic surgeon on Dec 19th and hopefully he/she will agree i would benefit from surgery - i fail to see how they couldn't. I was just wondering if anyone else in Scotland is in my shoes or further along the road than me? I would love to pick your brain if you are.

I've read a lot of the posts on this forum and they've been really, really helpful. Sadly, they're all in Wales or England and the NHS is a very different beast in Scotland.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Hi Sorry not from scotland but just wanted to wish you luck and congratulations on fabulous weight loss!! If you are getting skin infections. rashes that sort of thing play up on that, as they do not do the op anywhere purely for cosmetic reasons need to be ambulatory and skin rashes , depression etc., regarding skin . Look up your health authority online they may have their policy about what they will agree to...

Hi Goodsoul,
I tried to PM you but im not allowed yet due to too few posts. Is there another way to do it?
Lucy

Hi Goodsoul,
I tried to PM you but im not allowed yet due to too few posts. Is there another way to do it?
Lucy

Not 'till you increase your post count - play the word association games and you'll be surprised how soon you get to 50.

hi im from scotland but im still pre op but i will be watching your posts with interest as i know when i am done i will have a problem with sagging stomach
congratulations on your weightloss and good luck with the next stage of your journey

and yes the NHS in scotland is very much different

Hi, I'm from Glasgow and had word back yesterday from the plastics team that I do not fit their criteria.

My GP told me to expect this. In his words "unfortunately this area of Glasgow is seen as affluent and funding priority is given to other areas where people who don't work and asylum seekers live". He them went on to say that a recent consulation with a person who did not speak english cost the practice over £300 in translation costs.

I don't really know how to feel about this. I feel everyone has the right to medical treatment but it seems that WLS and the surgery needed afterwards is at the absolute bottom of the list. Each case should be looked at properly and should not rely on a postcode.
Am going to contact GP to ask what the criteria is and if it is worth appealing the decision.

Hi, I'm from Glasgow and had word back yesterday from the plastics team that I do not fit their criteria.

My GP told me to expect this. In his words "unfortunately this area of Glasgow is seen as affluent and funding priority is given to other areas where people who don't work and asylum seekers live". He them went on to say that a recent consulation with a person who did not speak english cost the practice over £300 in translation costs.

I don't really know how to feel about this. I feel everyone has the right to medical treatment but it seems that WLS and the surgery needed afterwards is at the absolute bottom of the list. Each case should be looked at properly and should not rely on a postcode.
Am going to contact GP to ask what the criteria is and if it is worth appealing the decision.

Hey biggy!

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Did you actually get as far as seeing a consultant plastic surgeon or were you just referred by your GP and knocked back?

Congratulations on your amazing weight loss!!

I aksed my gp a couple of years ago now about a tt/apronectomy and was told that there is zero funding in my area and never has been (South Lanarkshire). He said that all he could do was add my name to the list of others that have asked and hopefully they might eventually fund, although not to hold out hope with all the cuts ect.

Sorry it's not better news from my area :(

Hey biggy!

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Did you actually get as far as seeing a consultant plastic surgeon or were you just referred by your GP and knocked back?

Hi, just got the bog standard rejection letter.

I'm due in for my B12 in a few weeks so will try get the GP to find exactly what the criteria is.

Good luck everyone.

Back