• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone else have reactive hypoglycaemia?

SerenityValley

Happy in the meantime
It's quite common now. Basically the body produces too much insulin, so you have a hypo, usually after eating something sugary or carby.

My wife has it awfully. It's controlled somewhat by acarbose (script from her endocrinologist).

It is a problem in itself but can also be caused by insulinomas in the pancreas.

For donkeys years I complained to doctors and they did bloods. Never found anything because they were looking for diabetes, which has similar symptoms but really for different reasons.

Having diagnosed my wife (I got there about 2 years before the doctors did - I'm finding gps to be incompetent nowadays for many reasons), it gave me an understanding of my own issues. I used to get these hypos and solve the, with sugar. I remember one Sunday lunch, stopping eating my chicken to go eat sugary cornflakes.

I'm finding it happens more now (I do eat some sweets sometimes but can happen when eating something carby). I think because I eat far less now. Even all these months after the op, I barely get over 1000 cals a day.

I was warned prior to the op that it is a more common occurrence in bariatric surgeries now.

Anyone else got this, or think they do? Look up the symptoms on Google (that will be better than my description - which is shakiness, feeling faint, and sweats, etc).

I get it. Usually after beans on toast, or toast and a tiny bit of marmalade. Needless to say, I don't eat them any more. I also sometimes get it with foods I've eaten before with no problem.

Me when I eat bread flour products. Worse since being told I'm coeliac. Answer for me is simple, just don't eat bread or flour products. Concentrate instead on the complex carbs /proteins

Back