• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Reactive hypoglycaemia

Jrichard

Hi guys.

I had my bypass in June 2011. I have lost about 9 stones now which is great.

However in the last about 8 months I have been having reactive hypoglycaemia. My blood sugar usually drops to between 1.7 and 2.9 so it is reasonably severe.

Has anyone else had problems with this? What treatments have you tried to 'cure' this problem? How effective have you found your treatments? Has anyone had to resort to a partial pancreatectomy?

Thanks for reading. I look forward to your replies.

Julie x

Hi Julie

I've just come across your post. I've started suffering a drop in my blood sugars for the past few weeks but in the last day or so its got worse and more frequent.

I had my bypass in 2009.

I've googled the condition and it says to try dietry changes and I think you/we should keep a note of what we eat and the blood sugar levels.

I'm glad someone else is in the same boat. What symptoms do you get? I start feeling weird, then sweating and then the shaking starts. I just want to eat everything in sight then to feel normal.

I hope you are doing ok x

I am so glad to find others with this problem. My Gastric bypass was 18 months ago. I have lost 10 stone in total and am now BMI 22. Everything is terrific. Except recently I have started getting episodes of low blood sugar. I've only been near my testing kit once when it happened and got a reading of 1.9. But I know the symptoms. Getting shaky. Sweating. Confusion. The other day in Tesco I thought I would pass out. I grabbed a sugary drink off the shelf and gulped it back in one. Felt better within five minutes. Have spoken to my GP and he just says to eat more. Given the size of my restriction only so much food is possible. Would love to share any tips or suggestions you might have.

Hi all,

I had RNY surgery back in 2009 and also suffer from Hypoglycemia. The lowest reading I got from my tester was 3.0.So not as low as you, but also have the same symptons.
I was told when I left the hospital to refrain from eating sugar in my diet. I did this for a while and still encountered Hypoglycemia. I now eat sugar/chocolates and breads, and still get Hypo.
My personal take on this issue, is not what you eat but the quantity you eat at one sitting combined with the speed you eat the food.
Since I have reduced the size and qty of my food, I have not suffered like I use to.I still eat sugar in my coffee and drink sugary drinks.
This is my 2 cents to this issue.It works for me and hopefully for you as well.

Hi guys, thank u for all your replies.

My low sugar causes all the symptoms you describe, I also have difficulty speaking and co-ordinating myself and have been known to collapse into semi-consciousness; eek!

I have just had a glucose tolerance test which resulted in a hypo. I've now been referred to an endocrinologist.

As suggested diet is playing a role; I am producing too much insulin in response to carbohydrates. Even with dietary changes I am still having hypo's. There has been a suggestion of medication to help regulate my sugar levels. I will let you no how I get on.

As awful as it is for us, I am really pleased to find other sufferers.

Thanks guys for your input.

Julie :)

Back