• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sugar/diabetes/dumping/fainting

salski

Hello all
I am 13/14 months post bypass and for the last few weeks/months have had ridiculously low sugar levels 2-3 hours after I eat. I feel faint, have to sit before I fall, shake so badly I cant hold a cup of tea...and have an urgent need to eat. And I mean eat....anything remotely sugary...sweets, full sugar coke, cake anything with a high refined sugar content.
I suffered from dizzyness from about 4 months post op until now but I have known that is more fluid issues. I booked myself into see my nurse for a glucose tolerance test as I really believe it is sugar hypos and it is becoming unbearable, So much so I have to not eat f I have an appointment or need to be somewhere - and today I saw my dietician. Once I described the above symptoms he said it was late stage dumping syndrome. He said its because I am not eating enough (Im still trying 3 meals a day with snacks in evening) and he has told me to try 4 smaller meals with snacks 2 hours inbetween this. Things to snack on - cereal bars, yoghurts, fruit with digestive biscuits etc.
I am telling people this as I had not ever thought it was dumping. I knew you could have late stage dumping (2-3 hours after a meal) - even when the meal is low fat and sugar I am suffering with this.
Something for people to be aware of.

On a nucer note - my honeymoon was fab! ;) Hehehehe xxxxx

Thanks for that Sal, i had a bad shaking/dizzy spell yesterday(i've had minor periodic ones in the earlier stages) i put it down to not enough fluid as i was rearranging furniture at the time! I hadn't eaten very much and nothing new but like you needed the sweet fix and i felt a bit better once i sat down and took a weight watcher cookie on board! Never thought of it as dumping so definatly need to pay more attention if it happens again! So thanks for pointing that out. So glad you had great honeymoon xx

Thanks for the info Sal, glad you had a fab honeymoon!!!!!

TY for your replies guys :) x

Back