• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone else?...

wombat

Hi everyone :)

I was just wondering if anybody else is doing it...

I started to have most of my meals alone.... Because if I don't 100% concentrate on my food I forget to chew and end up in pain (easy to do what being surrended by kids).
And another thing - I noticed that I can measure better what goes into my mouth if I eat with my fingers...
Like, for example, I just had a tuna salad, so instead of putting it on a fork I take it with my thumb and index finger. And put in my mouth just that.... I sort of noticed that it helps me to put in my mouth only as much as I can swallow in a time...
Started to think that eastern way of eating with your hands is actually good for you...

xxxx

Great post with some great ideas x

That's a really helpful idea and takes the mind right back to basics... it always sticks in my mind the dietician saying a piece of meat no bigger than his thumb nail... or the top of a rubber... so it's a good way to look at how much you are eating and back to basics, using the hands...

Thank you xxx

I prefer to eat with people, i feel very antisocial if i don't eat with my family. Unfortunately my eating speed hasn't changed much and the pieces of food that go in my mouth haven't changed much in size either. Maybe this should be addressed...

I have noticed at work the other day there were a few more people in the staff room so i ate slower and was full quicker, so am really taking this lesson on board :) I am so needing to listen to what my head learns xx

Phatmomma - I still sit with my family while they have their meal, I just drink while they are eating. Then clear up and then have my meal...

This way I don't feel antisocial and in the same time I am making a better life for my soon to be slim tummy:D

I am sorry if I sound a little negative but I think seperating yourself from things may not be such a good idea.

For a start, what will you do if you are invited out for a meal? Or have guests?

I think the quicker we eat as "normally" as possible the better - we have ostracised ourselves long enough for being fat or eating too much.

I did not have this operation so I could exclude myself from social meals, I just wanted to have control and eat like a normal person :)

Hehe :)

I am fine when It is just me and hubby (or any other adults).

It is when my kids are around, who always need something (3 year old can be VERY demanding) and I find that all the turning and jumping up and down during my meal, fetching things he and the baby needs makes me ill.

And I think in the end of the day what matters is how my tummy feels... I it feels MUCH better when I have a peaceful meal instead of a hectic one :)

Wombat I never ate with my kids when they were little, because I liked enjoy and savour my meal in peace with hubby. Though I do think that when they're older, it is good to eat as a family to teach them healthy eating and table manners...but yours a a bit off that yet aren't they?

My dietician actually suggested last week that I eat alone until i'm back on 'normal' food....but I personally hate that idea as it makes me feel isolated and a bit of a freak. But then my family are much older. (teenagers)

However, I do find that occasionally I forget how slow I should be eating and what size pieces to put on my fork with some people (though not family)......and even last night out for a meal with friends I ate a piece of poppadom and some cucumber chopped up in a dip, before I remembered I wasn't supposed to be eating that stuff yet!

I find it easier with the family because they expect me to eat slow!

hi wombat, i think its a good idea what your doing, especially at the moment, i think as you get further along in your journey, you may well find that you can actually eat with the kids occasionally as youll get so used to putting the correct amount in your mouth, it wont be an issue. but i do agree that eating with young children is a nightmare, so for now, go for it girl, its obviously working, and everyone is happy. hugsx

Ahh, i see what you mean now you mention little people :)

It is a pain when you are trying to enjoy a meal and you are up and down fetching juice n clean cutlery that's ended up on the floor...

Hopefully as your children get a bit bigger then you will be able to enjoy the social side of eating with your children :)

And i may add i like the finger food idea, gives you an idea of how much is going into your mouth and slows down the eating xxx

Hi Wombat

Im the same, I only have the one tiddly peep but find it much easier to eat after she has. Its different when we are out but at home its soooo much easier that way :D

I don't eat with anyone really at the mo but I'm just kinda working out when I fancy food, I think eventually looking at my new eating pattern I will be eating with the kids at 1700 rather than with hubby at 1930!

I have trouble eating when my 6 year old son is around he fusses and my stomach protests and I have to leave the room to try and relax. He has also become a very fussy eater and says he is stuffed after one mouth full.

Maybe he sees mummy getting full quickly and is just mimicking? Just a thought...

I have already come to that conclusion and thats another reason not to eat at the same time as him.
He is ok if I'm not eating but am sitting with him. I don't want him to start having hang ups about food.

It's really interesting reading this thread and remembering back thirty years ago when I was feeding the babes....

Naturally nothing has changed.... my eldest son was such a trial and I wonder often, how I would manage when post op with some of the early days and chaos that could happen around mealtimes since he was such a faddy eater.

On reflection, I am relieved to say that as he got a little older and out grew his fads and he managed to settle mealtimes became more pleasurable and less of a trial... thankfully, mealtimes became a time to share, relax and enjoy, as time went on.

I used to dread going out back then or visitors coming, but it didn't last forever and the social side of eating became a main focus of our family routine...

On the negative side, I would so often eat his meals too back then and although family and work life was always hectic, I must have consumed enormous excess calories from children's meals.... plus my own.

I can understand how I would have felt Wombat... not easy with the chew chew chew stage and having to keep your eye on a young family, when you are adjusting and settling into a new eating regime ... but I do hope it is all getting easier for you.

Love and hugs xxx

Last edited:
This is a worrying of mine,as I dont want the family to feel guilty in anyway eating in front of me.
As thats when problems happen.
We all sit at the table and I concentrate on what Im eating and nothing else.
I know there be times when I could wish I want what they are eating.
But for the time being I know I have to tell myself Im doing this for myself to be a healthier person x

Back