• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

anyone from scotland

drylaw

was wondering if there was anyone from scotland in particular edinburgh here thats been refered or waiting to be refered for wls

Allies from Scotland im sure she be along soon she may know people going thro the Nhs process x

Allie's here! Welcome to a fantastic site, there aren't many of us Scots but there are oh so many lovely people who are here to help and answer any questions you may have! Andrea is on here too and she is from Dalkeith and i live in East Kilbride. Both of us have had bypasses done privately. It really depends on which surgery you hope to have, the jubilee hospital in Clydebank is about to become the centre for gastric banding but if it's a bypass you are hoping for it could be a bit more difficult as there sems to be a lack of surgeons in Scotland who actually perform the bypass. Best thing to do is as i did and approach your GP and see what reaction you get from them with regrds to wls. I'm around quite bit so will be happy to help out. Good luck and welcome again xx

hi Allie , yes see us Scots are in a minority but i have loved reading all the posts and seeing how everyone else is coping you all seem a very friendly bunch so think i will enjoy being here
not quite sure what type of WLS im aiming for but anything at the moment is good by me
when i spoke to my doctor who is fairly new to my practice her reaction was good as i'd approached this with other doctors in the past and had always been fobed off with diet sheets , tablets or visits to the dietian
she said they have to follow a protocol with regards to referals but even though it had to go via the dietian she didnt see a problem with it going straight to the next stage as she could see from my notes id done mostly everything they would recommend before going down this route
i was too scared to ask how long this took (didnt want to hear her tell me a liftime think i would have been more of a blubbering reck than i was)so im just waiting to hear what happens next now that she has sent off the referal
sorry my post a bit long winded but thanks for listening to me

Not sure on timescales either sorry as i went privately but the fact that Scotland is finally dedicating a hospital to wls can only be good! Glad your gp is being supportive that goes a long way to getting the journey started! As far as what surgery to have it will be about what sort of eating habits you have at the moment and what is going to work best for you! As i said you have come to the right place people are lovely here and will be happy to share your journey with you. xx

Hi Drylaw I am from Livingston just next to Edinburgh

hi there deepblue nice to hear from you yes your only 15 mins away have you got a date for surgery and where are you having it done ?

Hi Drylaw,

I had my surgery done (Gastric Bypass) on the 21st of june in the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary by Dr Bruce Tulloh do you know what hospital and when you will be having your operation.

lol ive just posted you on another post
at the moment im having a problem my gp has referred me had to go see a dietitian and she's draging her heels my gp says i should get as i have done everything else i can do weight classes ,ruductil , vlcd , group therapy , even psycytrist years back . (sorry spelt that wrong) and each time i lose put even more back on
so how it stands at the moment i havnt got very far
so was wondering how long or what hoops they had you jumping through brfore you got

oh well done on your weight loss how have you found it ?

I had the same peoblem with various people dragging there feet but I was lucky as my G.P put a very good case together and forced an appointment as for hoops for the last six months befor my operation I was made sign a six month weight loss contract stating if I did not meet targets set I would not have my operation or be considerd again I beleive this is being looked at as a new tool I was there guinea pig.

But its been worth it I wont say its easy because all the same thoughts about food are there.
I dont feel hungry but its sometimes trying to get you head to follow that if you know what I mean

Hope you get your problem sorted out with the dietition

Owen

Last edited:
well nurse practioner has agreed to see me every 2 weeks to weigh me so that will help keeps things on the move
just gonna have to try and keep positive and keep at it maybe if i keep bugging them they will get fed up and do it to get rid of me (can hope cant i ):D

Back