• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone up for a running challenge?

gillabean

Really living now!
I am now six stone lighter than I was six months ago and for the last twenty years of being fat I have always wanted to run. I used to do it during my lunch-hour before having the children and I remember the feeling of freedom. I tried it a couple of times over the last few years but my weight was just too much on my poor joints.

I went today for the first time and managed 25 metre jog, 10 metre walk for four times and it felt great. My legs feel really heavy though, I still carry weight on my legs and I hope the running will lose it there.

I'd like to try to start it up again, is there anyone interested in comparing notes with me?

YES! I have entered the Race for Life at end of July. I so need someone to nag me to train. I'll try your 25m jog, 10m walk this eneing and let you know.

Great!! But I may have to give it a skip for a couple of days as I ended up being sent home from work this afternoon. I had some shaking after my little jog and felt out of breath and it didn't really go. Went to work this afternoon and had a pulse of 115, low blood pressure, high respiration rate and felt shaky and faint. They think it might be that I am on too high a dose of my anti-hypothyroid medication now that I have lost so much weight. So I'll not go running until I get my bloods checked.

And they say that exercise is good for you! I'm still definitely on for the jog/walk thing though.

Well, I've finally had my blood results back and my Hb is fine as is my Thyroid level, so I reckon it was just lack of fitness that made me have a wobbly. :banana dancer:So I'm back on the running quest, where's my little buddy? :confused:

:whacky068:Today I ran from lamp-post to lamp-post, then walked to the next lamp-post for about 2/3 of a mile. :bliss:I felt as weak as a kitten when I got home but I think that's more to do with lack of food. :party0051: I'm trying to eat every three hours, I read in my son's fitness magazine that if you leave longer than 3 hours :character00254:between food then your metabolic rate slows down.

Off for a walk this afternoon and then a swim this evening, that's not really exercise as I just basically lounge in the pool doing nothing. :girlpower:

glad the bloods were OK Gilla, and that you have done some run/walking today. I really need to start making more effort again with the running, its race for life in 2 weeks lol. Am busy though today and tomorrow, so will get out there for a run on Sunday.

For anyone else interested in taking up running, I have found this advice on the Runner's World website. It is for real newbies, like me.
  • Allow at least a day between runs when you begin.
  • If in doubt, slow down. You should be able to hold a conversation while you run. Respecting your body is the best route to progression.
  • Walk purposefully, and be strict with your run/walk timings.
  • Don’t be afraid to repeat a week, or drop back a week. Everyone’s different.
  • Take heart - you will get there!

The Schedule
  • Week 1 Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 2 Run two mins, walk one min. Repeat seven times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 3 Run three mins walk one mins. Repeat six times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 4 Run five mins, walk two mins. Repeat four times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 5 Run eight mins, walk two mins. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk one min. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 7 Run 15 mins, walk one min, Run fifteen mins. Do three times a week
  • Week 8 Run 30 mins continuously.

This is a great running programme and I having been "trying" to follow it. I need to get myself a little more motivated before my race for life on 11th July. Good luck with your running xxx

That running programme is great, thanks so much for posting it....I really want to start running once I've had my op & got some weight off...don't want to start yet because I don't want to knacker my joints & in case I get harpooned because someone thinks a hippo has escaped from the zoo!

Glad your bloods came back positive, that must be a relief. xxx

It would be a relief our Glenville, if I wasn't still having the light-headedness and palpatations. To tell you the truth, I am getting a bit fed up with it now. I've started having a snack every couple of hours even though my blood sugars are OK and I'm drinking enough but I can't think of anything else to do.

Well done Am, it's flaming hard work isn't it! I managed the 8 x 1 minute (just stopping for 1 minute inbetween as it is easier to clock on my watch). My legs hardly move they are so heavy, I have always carfried loads of weight on my legs. I sort of stumble along but if it's getting me moving it can only get easier.

I completed the first week challenge OK, that was running on 3 days of the week doing 1 minute run, 1 minute heart attack all times 8. I should be on week 2, which is running for 90 seconds but I haven't done it yet. My legs feel so heavy that I don't think I'll be able to do it.

Back