• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone's reflux worse than before op?

JOHNG79

7.5 mths out. Was on nexium 40mg twice a day & ranitidine 300mg at night before op.

Went to lansoprazole 30mg twice a day post op, and was due to reduce to one after 6 months. Im back on original meds now, based on surgeons advice.

I presume thats far from normal. Bonkers.

Had h pylori test - negative.

I'm on the same anti reflux meds I was on for years before the op. I tried to come off them at 3months out but within days was in agony. I'm still on the same level of blood pressure medication too, and pain relief in fact nothing has changed medication wise for me. I just see it as one of those things to be honest. :)

I never had reflux before the op but have it now, I'm on lansoprazole once a day but am going to see if it can be increased to twice a day as I am starting to suffer at night x

yeah its really weird.

Thing i honestly never factored in was the no nsaid/aspirin angle post op. You forget how handy they can be in certain circs. For example i had a lower wisdom out couple months ago and developed a dry socket. Obv i couldnt take the wonderful ibuprofen with its anti inflammatory delight so had to manage with paracetamol or co codamol when it got too much. Same with headaches, pre op my go to was anadin extra (since discovered how relatively little paracetamol there is in them in comparison to aspirin), now its paracetamol mainly. All little things u take for granted i guess, until u arent allowed them anymore

just an update. Saw my surgeon whos mentioned about possible reflux surgery options as im at highest levels. Given im in belfast and hes england i cant get an nhs referral to him grrrr. nhs over here havent a clue re bypass patients, and im unsure if they even do reflux surgery options we discussed, esp as fundoplication (wrap) op would require part of my unused "old" tummy.

Other option he mentioned is possibility of extending the bypass so the bile stays further away from stomach. In itself thats likely to cause a restart to weight loss all over again so thats last resort. Obviously thats not wanted at all, nor is prospect of me having to rob a bank in order to fund another op. #frustratingashell

Is it Bile reflux or Acid reflux. They are different things. I developed Bile Reflux after a Gastric Sleeve and have had a Revision to a By-pass. I have read that if the Roux limb is short it can cause Bile Reflux. Perhaps as the surgeon for a full explanation of the problem before looking at more surgery. Hope you get some answers and feel a little better it's not nice reflux in fact it's miserable. I feel for you.

Is it Bile reflux or Acid reflux. They are different things. I developed Bile Reflux after a Gastric Sleeve and have had a Revision to a By-pass. I have read that if the Roux limb is short it can cause Bile Reflux. Perhaps as the surgeon for a full explanation of the problem before looking at more surgery. Hope you get some answers and feel a little better it's not nice reflux in fact it's miserable. I feel for you.

Brutal esp at night. Had Acid reflux for years, and am back on same meds as pre op. Throats been in bits for months. Told my gp in july, whos advice was to ask my surgeon when i next saw them. No referral to gastro or anything.

It was my surgeon who brought up fundoplication or linx surgery, or as last resort revising roux limb. Said im already on max ppi etc meds, so nothing more can be done tablet wise. None of these are available on nhs in northern ireland to my knowledge especially with my rejigged anatomy after surgery.

Absolutely at a loss

By the way did your bypass correct the reflux?

another query is i wonder if a short roux limb is considered incorrect, and in that situation who is eligible to fund the repair. My surgery was privately funded

Just so many thoughts and worries in my head

I still have some reflux but am in the early days and as I was very inflamed in my stomach and oeasophogus it's taking a while to settle down.
I read a couple of articles about bile reflux being caused by a short roux limb , I don't think it's a mistake in deliberate more we all have different length intestines and depends on the surgeons preference. I have a fairly short limb as my surgery wasn't doing it for more weight loss, I weigh 46 kilos and had to have a feeding tube and feed to up my weight for the surgeon to be happy to operate. I still have the feed as they don't want me to lose weight.
I used to wake up feeling like I was drowning and eating caused pain. It's miserable and I think you should talk it through with a surgeon before agreeing to another operation. I took lansoprazole but it did not help at all and it took 3 years to be diagnosed. I feel your pain. It must be difficult to get the information you need if it's not a procedure they do in Northern Ireland but a Gastro surgeon should be able to advise you re the reflux problem.
Hope you get some help to resolve this issue, thinking of you.

my god you have been through the wars. With my reflux not being great beforehand thats 1 of 2 main reasons i chose bypass over sleeve (other being i wanted the threat of dumping if i got urge for chocolate treats etc)

Show you how poor services are here. Have been checking out about using my medical insurance to speed my investigations. 2 main private hospitals in belfast, neither can do the 24hr ph test, and they only have 2 docs with experience of bariatrics to do an endoscope of bypass patient. 1 of which was a guy i attended a consult with to consider bypass, and he wanted to seemingly let another doc do procedure which dramatically put me off lol. So looks like nhs may need to be my saving grace, unless i can get my Trust to refer me to England where there is lot more expertise in dealing with investigations of bariatric patients.

Back