• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Awful weightloss journey...

Bonita S

I don't know whether some of those that were bypassed in 2009 will remember me and my rotten journey, but I really need some advice as I'm struggling here.

I'll try to keep this as short as I can because it's a long story. Bypassed in May 2009 at Walsall Manor, had internal bleeding post op so re-opened to fix that then the scar (which ran from my boobs to belly button) burst open on the ward. Had it re-stitched and it went again, got a ward infection in the then open wound and wound left open for twelve months to heal internally, four of those months with a machine attached sucking the wound together. Then got a massive Hernia and had to have that fixed, again wound burst open, again re-stitched.

Fast forward two years, lots of weight lost, now going Hypoglycaemic all the time. Forward another year and lots of reflux, Gall Bladder pain and weight starting to go back on again. Had Gall Bladder op cancelled ten times by four different surgeons because they were worried about the extensive scarring internally.

Get to Sept this year and am admitted to Stoke hospital as an emergency because of the Gall Stones. The surgeon that did the op was Miss Rotundo based in Stoke on Trent but unfortunately had to revert to open because she punctured my bowel, didn't feel too bad initially but by the early hours next day I was so ill and rushed back to theatre. The main artery to my Liver was ruptured and I was touch and go for day's. Finally got out of ICU at the end of Nov.

Miss Rotundo decided she was going to get to the bottom of why everything was such a mess, why my bowel was where it shouldn't be and why the original bypass failed so spectacularly (I'm almost at the weight I was when I started this journey). So since Sept I've had every test going to find out what it is. She discovers that the Hernia has returned and it's huge, not only that my stomach and bowel are both sitting in this Hernia and the Bowel is twisted, then she does an Endoscopy and starts running round the room excited...

I have Fistulas in my pouch that have attached themselves to my main stomach, so effectively I now have two fully functioning stomachs. You couldn't make it up could you?

She says in the thirteen years she's been doing bypasses she has never seen one Fistula let alone this many. Anyway now she is telling me that I have to have a revision done. It will be open just like the first operation and she will remove these Fistulas and fix my pouch. She want's to bring in a film crew and film the whole thing because she's pretty certain that this has never been seen before in this scale.

We have a wedding in Malta in May so this is planned for the second week in June (have to do the whole liver shrinkage thing again she told me today :cry:)

I'm now thinking can I go through all this again. I know living with the Fistula's is not really an option, also I have to lose some weight so that the Hernia can be repaired properly and of course two stomachs means twice the appetite, but after what happened in Sept I'm worried about being opened up again.

Has anybody else been bypassed by Miss Rotundo and can anybody tell me what the after care is like in Stoke?

I'm sick with fear here.

Bonita.

OM bloody G, what a story! I know nothing about post op care in Stoke is like but I have seen similar issues with fistula (but not associated with WLS) . Main issue is they need to be closed, this surgeon is the only person whose had the tenacity to find out what the deal is in all those years - she's invested a lot of time and expertise, maybe she's the best for the job in an I've started so I'll finish way? It's a complicated story by anyone's standards, she sounds committed to the job?

Oh blimey, what a few years you've had. Sorry to hear that it's been so terrible for you. I'm sure a couple of people have mentioned this surgeon so hopefully they'll see this and can give you the info you need.

Best wishes to you and your ongoing journey :) x

Omg what a crazy journey you have had!!! I'm sorry you have had to go through with all of that and had so many extra issues!! :(

I can't offer any real advice as I'm a band patient, but as already mentioned it maybe good to have the surgeon that knows your history be the one to hopefully fix it for good!?

Please do keep us updated and I will keep
You in my thoughts for the best possible outcome!!! Xxx

Wow, just wow! What a story!
I truly wish you all the very best for the weeks and months ahead do keep us all posted

Geez you have really been through it and then some!! Did she manage to figure out why the initial problems occurred? Presumably the fistulas and hernia came later?
I couldn't possibly offer any advice but I really hope you get sorted x

Hello Bonita

I wan't bypassed in 2009, I was banded and I do remember you.

My goodness what a terrible time you've had. I'm having problems myself with a hernia and all that brings with it, just going through the being passed from department phase @ 15 months post referral to the surgeon.

Totally get why your feeling worried, who wouldn't after what you've been through.

Wishing you all the best and a healthier rest of 2015! xx

You poor thing what a terrible thing to go through. I feel she sounds like she knows what she is doing and had had the determination to find out what was going on. I am sure you will make the right decision xx

Hi, I had a sleeve gastrectomy at Stoke. Miss Rotundo was there, but Mr Cheruvu performed the surgery. I had an odd bowel and they got excited about mine, because it is reversed. The surgeons are excellent. After care is okish, the dietitians are great, you don't get to see the surgeons that often but in your case I would imagine they'd keep a closer eye on you.
It is a great hospital, i've recently had a severe infection and they were great.
Good luck xx

So sorry to hear about all you've been through. My surgeon was Miss Rotundo and I only have good things to say about her. Fingers crossed she'll be able to help you. All the best!

Jesus and I thought I'd had problems I've read a few good comments on here about your surgeon from others. Wishing you all the luck in the world keep us posted xxx

Hi Bonita. I am pre op at Walsall Manor so no useful info re Stoke. Just wanted to say I hope things turn around soon. Sounds like a harrowing 6 years x

I had sleeve done by miss rotundo and im scheduled for gallbladder op by her to I think she is fantastic such a lovely lady to she really took care of me, I told the hosp when I have gallbladder I want her and no1 else good luck hun x

Omg bonita what a horrendous time and what a brave lady you are for daring to go through with this and all the risks all over again. Good Luck with it all

hello bonita

i wan't bypassed in 2009, i was banded and i do remember you.

My goodness what a terrible time you've had. I'm having problems myself with a hernia and all that brings with it, just going through the being passed from department phase @ 15 months post referral to the surgeon.

Totally get why your feeling worried, who wouldn't after what you've been through.

Wishing you all the best and a healthier rest of 2015! Xx

mazza i have been trying somehow to make contact with you regarding your sanction on me, i feel that you were out of order because if you had taken the time to read my thread, i mean my thread then you would have seen that i was the one attacked first, how dare you do what you did without taking action against the others, this forum is for the few long termers with scant regard to others, i feel you and all moderators associated with this forum stop behaving as you do as you are the reason that all these people are leaving, sorry to all the nice people on here for hacking into this thread just needed to tell mazza to get off the high horse

mazza i have been trying somehow to make contact with you regarding your sanction on me, i feel that you were out of order because if you had taken the time to read my thread, i mean my thread then you would have seen that i was the one attacked first, how dare you do what you did without taking action against the others, this forum is for the few long termers with scant regard to others, i feel you and all moderators associated with this forum stop behaving as you do as you are the reason that all these people are leaving, sorry to all the nice people on here for hacking into this thread just needed to tell mazza to get off the high horse

Not sure what's happened here..but Mazza does a great job...and I'm a long termer :)

I think that Mazda may have taken some action in response to previous postings, and there is some disgruntlement about this

Back