• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Appeal letter

VeronicaT

Gonna be thinner girl
ADMIN: Could this thread be made a sticky please, as lots of people seem to be needing appeal letters now. It can be amended as you see fit.
Thanks

This is a copy of my appeal letter to PCT funding committee. I used the letter written by someone else on this forum as the basis for mine, and changed it to fit my circumstances. Really sorry I can't remember who it was, but thank you so much, it made it much easier for me.

Thank you for your quick response to my request for WLS funding. I am however, understandably very disappointed at your refusal, and wish to appeal this decision.

The prime reason for my appeal is that my BMI is 50.8, not 49.5 as previously stated. This qualifies me for WLS funding according to your own criteria. When I talked to my GP and the form was filled in, my weight was checked, but not my height. My height is actually 5’6", thereby giving me a BMI of 50.8.

I have added below, other relevant information, which I hope will also strengthen my appeal.

Family history. My family, mother, father, 2 brothers and 6 nephews all suffer from actual or potential heart problems. We all have very high cholesterol levels, mine being 10.6+ without statins, and 5.6 with (still high). My parents died from heart attacks, one brother and 2 nephews have already had mild heart attacks in their late thirties, and one brother had to have a stent inserted as he had a blocked artery. My family was used as part of a Family Heart Study to detect early heart disease, at Leeds General Infirmary in 2002. I have shown that I have a high potential of suffering heart disease in the future, and that if my excess weight can be reduced quickly, this potential would be greatly reduced.

My weight loss history. I have never been slim, however I kept my weight fairly well under control by diet and exercise. I was a PE teacher for 15 years, and was very fit, but still had to constantly diet to keep my weight under control. When I was 35 both of my Achilles Tendons were damaged – I had to sit for 6 months, not putting any weight on my feet, having physiotherapy. During this 6 months I put on 3 stone. I didn’t eat anything different, but just could not exercise at all. I was unable to exercise fully after this time, and as a consequence I have been battling my weight ever since.
I have been yo yo dieting for as long as I can remember, years of slimming clubs, I have been a member of them all repeatedly. I have tried doctors diet sheets, and I have even tried hypnotism. I gave up smoking, and the weight increased yet again, and I have also tried Reductil to no effect.
I know what I should be doing, and I can lose weight, but I cannot keep the weight off for any substantial period, as I am now physically unable to exercise. I have been referred to a physiotherapist by my GP, but found that the excess weight caused severe pain in my joints. The surgery and following weight loss would help me get moving again, take part in exercise and not be housebound.

Physical effects. High Cholesterol, painful arthritis in my knee and hip joints, where my hip is almost bone on bone at this time. I have been recommended to eventually have a hip replacement by my GP, but if I could lose a substantial amount of weight I am convinced that the operation would be safer if I still need it after weight loss, or possibly averted all together. I also have neck pain, and shoulder pain. I now have poor posture, can not stand or walk without support. I suffer backaches, am short of breath and suffer bladder incontinence.

Mental effects. Low self-esteem, anxiety, no confidence, no will power. I feel withdrawn from life, depressed about my weight problems, no interest in anyone or anything. I don’t leave the house, and I suffer anxiety at the idea of having to go out.

I am sure that all of the above information will result in a positive decision on funding for WLS Surgery for me, and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.
Yours Faithfully

I will let you know if it is successful.

sounds good to me - i wish you lots of luck hun! all the best xxxx

:)What a fantastic post Vron-good luck & pester,phone,hassle & make sure they acknowledge your letter-my mistake was to wait too long before chasing things up

I agree this should be made a sticky along with lots of others that would be helpful for pre-ops
Juliex

It's an excellent letter Vron - expressive but factual and not too emotive. Makes me feel very humble that I was referred for surgery so easily yet you are having so much trouble. All the best ! xx

Hi Vron,
This is an excellent letter....
I wish you all the luck in the world with your journey...
Can I just ask a question please....forgive me if you have covered this point, but was your funding agreed at all by your PCT? Or did you have your appointment before the funding was applied for, this seems to vary from county to county.

Much love, Bev xxx

i think that letter was very well wrote and proves your much deserving of recieving funding for wls xx

Excellent letter good luck with your appeal

The rules have changed in my area - even my GP didn't realize it, as it is so new. The GP now has to apply for funding to PCT first before any contact with the surgeon. I suppose it means that the expensive tests and consultants time are not taken up until funding is secured first.

Excellent letter Vron and I am hoping that it will do the trick with your appeal. I'm so glad that you're fighting honey. xxx

Thats a great letter. The only shame is that you (or anyone) should have had to write it in the first place.

it's like begging for the scaps off of lifes table.

good luck hun you so deserve the surgery, as do we all.

Back