• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Are bad eating habits easier to solve following surgery?

Beth72

Hi, I'm considering getting a band done privately, mainly because I want to get it done in the next 6 months before I return to work after maternity. Wouldn't want to take time off work, then no questions would be asked, so I aim to tell noone except hubby - and people on here of course!! At the moment I'm a comfort eater, but then again, eat as an addiction really & my choices aren't the best!
My question is, after surgery, is it a lot easier to change the habits? I'm hoping it is if I'll be motivated by the weight loss. However, how have other previous comfort/stress eaters found it when trigger situations arise after the surgery? Or does the urge go simply because you physically can't eat as much, then the good habits are easier to stick to? I realise that surgery can't sort out the psychological reasons why people become so overweight in the first place, but just wondered how others have coped with this - read that the band somehow sends signals to the brain so that you feel fuller.

Thanks in advance x

With a band, you will need to be able to really work with it, its only a tool to aid with the weight loss and as such, you really will be able to turn to comfort foods to eat. There is nothing really stopping you eating all of the bad foods that you may do now.

I'm just approaching 5 months of having my band, still have no restriction and I could eat all the crisps, chocolate or whatever take away food I wanted to fill my mouth with. As such, it takes a HUGE amount of willpower to not eat those things, and to really have control over the foods that I eat. I strictly count calories, carb and protein content and I have to make very aware choices of what I eat and when, otherwise I could be just as I was before.

A band, doesn't fix those eating issues, you have to be in the right place, but more so the right mindset to WANT to change those habits. It wont stop the comfort eating, if there's a trigger and it happens, you could still do exactly what you wanted to pre-band.

Until you reach restriction you still have an ability to eat a large quantity of food too, so thinking that the band is going to stop that isn't how it is. While it may send signals that its fuller, it doesn't actually mean that you either are fuller, or that you're going to stop eating . . .thats something the band won't be able to do . . .and is really down to you.

I love my band and I've lost 6 stone in the time since I've had it, but I also know that unless I strictly control what I eat that I could eat just as I did before.

I'm a bypasser and only nearly 3 wks post op so I can't say how it is long term but as before my op I battle every day to not eat my addiction crisps. I don't feel hungry at all now but before op I use to eat them even when I wasn't so that doesn't make a difference.

I really wish I had got some help with my addiction before the op because the only thing keeping me on the straight and narrow is that fact I'm only 3 wks and being scared of malnutrition but how long that fear will last I don't know. I seriously feel like i'm going cold turkey and have become an angry person from my usual calm take it in my stride self.

It's down to you to change your bad eating habits, regardless of what procedure you've had. It a complete lifestyle change forever and your procedure is only a tool. I've had a bypass which prevents me eating high fat/sugar foods. A band still allows you to eat these foods, so you have to put in the work. You may want to look at your eating habits and do some research into which procedure will suit you best :)

i consider the band to be the hardest of the surgeries, you really have to work hard with it. I had the sleeve and it has worked well for me but I still have to work hard, good luck :) xxx

It would be far better to address your eating issues before you consider surgery.

You wont be able to eat as much food with a band but as with ALL wls options its down to you to make

Unfortunately you can sabotage your efforts with any op. The band, sleeve and wrap are all restrictive only procedures. They stop you physically eating too much but they are not a magic solution.

Have you spoken to any doctors, how much weight you have to lose and any illnesses you have may effect which op is best for you?

Good luck x

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice :) I'm around 19 stone & want to lose around 9 stone which would take me to the right weight for my height. I guess if I'm spending that amount of money on surgery & see it really as a last chance to lose weight, I WILL stick to a diet plan, esp if I can see results. Have lost weight before, but it's been so slow & I've lost motivation, so this tool should help me.

I've been thinking of surgery for ages, but my hubby is scared for me having the op as you can hear loads of scare stories, but finding this site is great & has restored my confidence....in the press, they only want some of the bad stories to make headlines. Re my health probs, I have bad osteoarthritis in both knees & sitting on the floor to play with 2 young children, or even going upstairs is painful. There's also the risk of diabetes & my bp is often quite high (at docs anyway!). Not been to docs about surgery, but tried orlistat before. Reason for band is because I don't have much family support, so a less invasive procedure will mean quicker recovery for me to look after my toddler & baby. Hubby would have to take a few days hol from work whilst I have the surgery.

Quite hard knowing which surgeon to go for though as all look good on paper, so any recommendations in Leeds area would be great, before I book a consultation x

In a nutshell - its not easier. The surgeries only help you feel full. Whether you use or abuse that is up to you. I had so much time preop that I used it to get my head closer to the right space but even then I will fight my food demons for the rest of my life.

As a bander I can reassure u that if your head isn't right then a band won't work out,if I choose to I can still gain weight no problem at all ,your mind plays a bigger role in this malarkey then u believe, 90 percent of my weight is down to my state of mind the band just goes the extra bit , don't know if you have read the story on the lady out of the band Wilson Philips she had a bypass lost heaps of weight then gained loads back and as a result is now having band over a bypass,extreme case I know but just goes too show the power of the mind and addition I class myself as an addict and for me that works, please please think very carefully before spending all this money and more importantly playing with your well being ,I love love love my band it's fantastic but in saying that I have had 7 years of therapy before I finally sorted my head out so as I'm in a position for me too have the best start I can , we read on here about ppl bands that don't work it isn't the band it's that ppl haven't sorted out there relationship with food before hand and they carry in as they did before and end up with the same result as before, sorry too waffle on but I'm trying to give an honest account as I'd hate anyone too blow a fortune on something they believe is a miracle cure , good luck on what you choose everyone on here is great for advice etc xx much love Kerry xxxx

Reason for band is because I don't have much family support, so a less invasive procedure will mean quicker recovery for me to look after my toddler & baby. Hubby would have to take a few days hol from work whilst I have the surgery.

Quite hard knowing which surgeon to go for though as all look good on paper, so any recommendations in Leeds area would be great, before I book a consultation x

Consider a wrap, or plication, too, its less invasive but with results as good as a sleeve. Its pricey here but cheaper abroad. My surgeon does a plication for under 2K. He's in the czech republic.

I had a bypass 7 months ago and I used to be a comfort/ stress/ celebration etc etc eater but have had no issues or battles since my operation. In fact I have very little interest in food now and have to remind myself that I need to eat which really helps me as will power haven't come into it. At very rare times I have grabbed something without thinking out of habbit, like a few crisps or a bit of chocolate but my body have very much reminded me quickly with palpations and nausea so for me it has worked very well. That's not to say that good choices don't come into it but my choices now seem to revolve around how I get the most protein in rather than 'bad vs good' food options. I know it's still fairly early days for me and this may change but the past 7 months has by far been easier than my previous 16 years of yo-yo dieting. Best of luck to you x

Whilst we are on the subject of eating habits, please can i have opinions on whether surgery would be a good option for binge eaters. I have 3 friends who binge massively. I doubt its the right course for them, but what do you all think?

I think anyone who has surgery or even considers it should tackle their food demons first.

If you were to binge post op you could cause all sorts of damage :eek: x

Whilst we are on the subject of eating habits, please can i have opinions on whether surgery would be a good option for binge eaters. I have 3 friends who binge massively. I doubt its the right course for them, but what do you all think?
Ive been a binge eater for years! i physically cant now so it has helped me massively x

Yes with my sleeve. I'm no longer obsessed with food. Doesn't stop me eating chocolate though, I have to manage that.

Thats how i feel with my sleeve, i am no longer obsessed with food, but i dont like to suggest surgery to them as i worry, like Mazza says, that they could cause damage. I guess they need professional advice.

Back