• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Depression and bad eating habits

jaxx

I've been feeling a bit 'flat' recently and today I've felt quite depressed and I've noticed how my good eating habits have flown out the window and the old bad ones have crept in today. I went to see the Australian Pink Floyd Show last night and the band were excellent as was the light show and I knew I should have been enjoying myself but all I could think of was going home to bed. Mum even bought me a tour t shirt which I've never been able to wear before as they never did them big enough to fit me but I was still feeling underwhelmed.

Today I'm working and I have yogurt, fruit, low fat cheese to eat as snacks but I bought crisps instead and I've eaten 2 packets. Plus a packet of Kallo mini rice cakes and my breakfast and lunch. It's nowhere near the amount I used to eat pre bypass but I feel disappointed in myself for allowing my emotional state to influence my food choices. It's not just today, I bought chips for lunch on Friday. I didn't eat them all but I still made the wrong choice.

I'm on medication for depression and last time I went to my GP he raised my medication which made me over anxious and gave me severe insomnia. My medication was reduced back to its usual dose but I still don't feel well. I have CBT next week with a therapist so I'll be mentioning it to her.

I feel like I'm going to ruin my bypass because of this.

i know how you feel, i also suffer from depression. even though i know what foods i should be eating, when i feel really down i reach for the comfort food, try to not beat yourself up hun as even on your bad days you wont be eating no where near as much as you used to. people that dont suffer from depression wont understand how food plays a big part in this, keep your chin up hun, xxx

Ive been eating badly lately due to stress and my depression, you arent alone.

You probably need to try the higher dose again, how long did you try it before? The symptoms will take a good few weeks to drop off. If that doesnt work then you probably need a different antidepressant. Ive been on 4 different ones.

i think just about all of us suffer from depression - we know how you feel hun! i always want sweet stuff when i get down usually chocolate but like try said you cant eat what you used to do so dont worry about that and you know what your doing is wrong and theres only you that can do something about it - take pack up to work with you and include fruit instead of anything fattening and only take enough money for bus fares ect so that you not tempted to go to the chippy - i struggle to make the right choices when out and about so just make it as difficult as possable for yourself to opt for the bad stuff xxxx

Jaxx, only once have i ever felt low i don't know if it was depression but it wasn't a good place to be so i feel your pain. It's hard for us all when food has been our best friend all our lives!

The only thing i could suggest is that you speak with your gp and be frank, explain your fears and take every piece of help he offers you. Keep faith in yourself you have done fabulously and i know you will not ruin your bypass, best wishes my lovely xxx

Hi Jaxx, I so know where you are coming from hun. I have suffered from depression for years, recently had my dose doubled, but still keep feeling bad, crying etc. Also keep eating bad foods, crisps, chocolate etc.
Please come on here and we can support each other xxx

Am feeling the same too hun had my meds upped recently but that hasn't made much difference either, i have been on loads of different ones over the years and none seem to have any significant effect :sigh: and i have been eating so much crap lately, which makes me feel even worse it's that old treadmill again, only this time i feel worse because i've been given this amazing opportunity and i'm just blowing it :cry: I am awaiting an appointment to start counselling and am hoping that that will help me, but until then i just have to keep trying to eat properly which is hard as you all know :eek:

Back