• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

B12 post sleeve confusion

Cornish Pixie

I had surgery in Cornwall in October, I had a sleeve and I am only one of 4 people via the NHS to have a sleeve and its quite clear from all the literature the hospital gave me, that they don't have specific sleeve paperwork, the have used the bypass information and have literally crossed out bypass and put sleeve! And this then goes for the b12 recommendarions , they are really aimed at bypasses.

The baratric nurse says that I need to have B 12 at the six month point, which is now. I had my pre b12 blood test and my levels are normal and my gp surgery practice nurse refused to give the injection as my b12 blood levels are normal, I told the bariatric coordinator at my six month review and has told me that regardless of the level I have to have it - I have asked him to chat to the gp nurse as I really am piggy in the middle.

Has anyone else had similar 'normal' levels but still had the injection? I don't mind having it but only if its needed and my local providers really are not giving one lot of guidance on this.

Hi there! I was sleeved in dec 2011 and my bloods have always been fine. I've not needed b12.

I think if your results are ok, you are probably fine without it. Us sleeves don't have the same malabsorption issues as bypassers. But I am always careful to have a good quality vitamin every day, just to be on the safe side.

What would be the consequences of lack of b12?
I've been sleeved but only 3 weeks it hadn't been mentioned to me at all so far anyhow

I'm a sleever and my team don't feel it's necessary to have b12 injections but I know some providers do.

Hi Cornish Pixie, I have done some research on this .....
The portion of stomach removed is responsible for producing intrinsic factor which B12 needs to bind to to be absorbed in the normal way. Therefore sleevers are at risk of being deficient. I decided to take sublingual B12 which is absorbed through the mouth instead. Holland and Barrett sell a couple of liquids. These tend to be massive doses so in theory you should absorb enough. Last time I was tested they commented on how good my B12 levels were. My hospital only give injections if you are deficient. However it won't hurt to have them even if you're not as excess will be excreted in your urine and won't cause you any harm.x

Madcatwoman
You've just saved me hours on google !!! I'll get myself to local health food shop and check it out, in really really lethargic and lips blue which indicates to me I'm low in iron! I cannot stomach the vitamin drops they make me sick immediately ! So I've been taking two chewable multi vits a day, prob not strong enough though wil check with gp this week
Thanks xx

Hey cat lady, thanks for the googling and the reply. My bariatric nurse said something about the intrinsic factor but I didn't have a clue what he was talking about after his second time of telling me, so thought I better not ask again! Interestingly, I didn't know that the body only takes what it needs and gets rid of what it doesn't, makes me feel better if they do decide to give me the injection knowing I'm not having too much of it as my body will get rid of it. Once again cat lady, thank you.

That's fine cornish pixie, thanks for the like. I had to scan through medical papers to find the info! I checked with my dietitian and she said it was right. It is the fat soluble vits such as A that you shouldn't take big doses of as they can harm your liver. The water soluble ones are ok though xx

Back