• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lady question - Vit B12

goingtobehappy

I'm a sleever and we were recommended to take vit B12 which I've been doing since returning home.

I have a mirena coil and would hardly lose any blood at all during my period, I've noticed this month though - the first since surgery - that my bloodloss is significantly more. Could this be the 1st post surgery, the B12 vits, or can anyone think of any other reason.

Thanks

Most likely the surgery. My totms are completely messed up post surgery. Vit B12 is unlikely to be the culprit. Its just an iron supplement really.

As you lose weight your hormone levels go a bit crazy leading to irregular and/or heavy periods, stronger side effects like period pain and sometimes worse pmt. Unfortunately you just need to ride it out. You can try evening primrose to ease some period symptoms though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I've gone the other way, since op had one period which started on day of op and nothing since, I love my mirena coil lol

Hormones!!! I was menopausal when I had my op - and started one period on the day after my op - one the following month and nothing since!!

Do you take vit B12 orally? - cos its not really absorbed in an oral form and needs a factor in the stomach for absorption - thats why after a sleeve one usually needs vit B12 injections. Cept me - and mine sees naturally high!!

xx

Yes, I take them orally, am I better off seeing my gp and asking for an injection and if so how often?

What do the B12 vits actually do?

Best to keep to the advice you've been given - most multivits don't have enough B12 in - but as I said my levels are high without injections - no-one understands why - I have a sleeve!!

The best way to know your levels is to have a blood test - how often can depend on your team - for me it was 6 weeks, 6 months and yearly thereafter - but I've also been told to go when I feel something isn't right BUT thats partly because of my op when deficiencies are much more likely because my maladsorption is so much more.

With a sleeve its the quantity of food that is less - and means you may have deficiencies rather then not absorbing it.

As others have said its the fat loss thats affecting your hormones and periods

Best to ask if you are unsure hun

xxx

I'm a sleever and we were recommended to take vit B12 which I've been doing since returning home.

I have a mirena coil and would hardly lose any blood at all during my period, I've noticed this month though - the first since surgery - that my bloodloss is significantly more. Could this be the 1st post surgery, the B12 vits, or can anyone think of any other reason.

Thanks

I dont know much about the coil but I wonder if you need to have it refitted due to weight loss?? Would that contribute to the heavier bleeding?

Back