• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Back after 9 years!

Roccosmummy

Hello all
Just want to introduce myself. I was a forum member 9 years ago and at the start if my wls journey. If anyone remembers me ( Victoria from West Sussex) then please say hi!!

My life has been an utter roller coaster ride with more downs than I care to remember. Two band slips with the first happening a year out when I'd reached target weight with a 7 stone loss. This went un diagnosed for nearly two years and resulted in an emergency op once my stomach was knitting itself closed. The band was saved and repositioned. My weight then started to go on despite fills and more fills then the sudden need to have unfills. This went on repeatedly for over three years. I then met Chris Pring who listened to my struggles and he allowed for my aftercare to be under the NHS. I then recently had a baby and at 4 months post baby started to have band fills once again. I joined a boot camp and have worked really hard only to find my weight is going up and up. I'm today back to my original weight of 17 st. A few weeks back and after I'd again said that I'm still convinced the band was repositioned in the wrong place, Chris sent me for a barium swallow. Friday was the day of the x-ray results. Hooorahh at last it is clear the band is sat at the base of my oesophagus with no stomach pouch above. No wonder he said I felt strangulated with a fill or zero without!!!
The relief I feel is overwhelming. Revision surgery to remove this lap band and convert to a bypass is in only three months. I cannot wait and feel like I'm starting another new journey. Let's hope this time is a positive one with no more complications.

I'd like to hear from anyone with similar experiences and any advice for my revision to a bypass.

Victoria x

Hi Victoria, you really have had a rotten time of it. Welcome back, and the joy of a bypass no slippage. Good luck with your surgery x

I am so glad I upgraded from band to bypass. My band was fine but the port drove me to madness so it had to go. Good for weight loss, but I wish I'd man'd up and got the bypass to start with, so much easier in food choice, portions, comfort, everything really. Personally I think they should be discontinued like in the USA, but I would probably make the same choice again!

My recovery has been awful, but am finally moving onwards.

Are you getting your revision done on the NHS? Presumably in one operation, they took the band out then got cracking on the bypass. Safer to have in one op according to surgeon!

Why is a bypass an 'upgrade'? I would have said it was a revision.

I wish you the very best of luck Roccosmummy, and sorry to hear of all your band issues.

All these awful band complications I'm hearing about lately, I'm starting to wonder if I should have had the sleeve...

I had my band 4 yes ago, lost 4 stone (needed to lose another 4).

Then my band became a nightmare. I had fills, defills and the most horrendous reflux that felt like I was drowning on bile in the middle of the night. I have also developed asthma from all the reflux. And gained 3 of the lost 4 stone!!!

Then I met Shaw Summers!!! Had an upgrade (and it feels like an upgrade) to bypass 6 wks ago.

I feel amazing, have lost 3 stone and feel it is the best thing ever.

The reason why the RNY is an upgrade is because it feels permanent and irreversible. It feels like more of a finished product rather than a half way house.

For me it's a no brainer. I think the band works for the people with less to lose who don't have a sweet tooth.

im waiting to revise to bypass with a slipped band too loved the band when it worked but hate it when it doesnt

Just seen the Streamline Surgical status on FB (streamline is Shaw Somers and Guy Slater ).

They say Bariatric surgery is a life raft to get you across a river. I'd say RNY is a life raft and a band is a rubber ring that you have to kick hard on!

Thanks for all your reply's.
After the thousands I've spent and wasted years with misdiagnosis I'm finally getting somewhere. I'm lucky that it's also going to be NHS funded.
I'm terrified of more problems though. I'm going to burn the band when I get my hands on it!!
I had a very positive experience for the first year. I couldn't praise it enough. Then the problems started and continued and it's been totally miserable.
I need to get my life back on track and shed this excess weight and rid myself of the aches and pains that go hand in hand with being heavy.
I'm praying the bypass will suit me. It means everything to me.

Vx

Good luck Roccosmummy !!

I came across your thread a few days ago and book-marked it as I am getting my sleeve converTed to a bypass in a few months.

My sympathies are very much with people going thru revision / 2nd surgeries at the moment.

Look forward to reading your updates.

I am so glad I upgraded from band to bypass. My band was fine but the port drove me to madness so it had to go. Good for weight loss, but I wish I'd man'd up and got the bypass to start with, so much easier in food choice, portions, comfort, everything really. Personally I think they should be discontinued like in the USA, but I would probably make the same choice again!

My recovery has been awful, but am finally moving onwards.

Are you getting your revision done on the NHS? Presumably in one operation, they took the band out then got cracking on the bypass. Safer to have in one op according to surgeon!

Did I read right that you think the bypass is easier for food choice,portions,comfort ?or was you talking about your previous band?

Oh dear, it sounds like you've had a terrible journey with your band. I am at the very beginning of my journey and this is one the reservations I have.

I hope everything works out for you with the bypass x

Good luck with ya bypass, shame you have had so many problems, the band has been so popular for such a long time, I always thought that's what I would have but so pleased I had a bypass. When I went in to have my op a lady in the bed opposite was in having her band removed after slipping once then year or so after she had a hiatus hernia then when they went in to operate she was away ages much longer than planned the band had some how become embedded and was dangerously near to her heart!!! it was a serious complication and what should have been a small op came into something quite big. However saying that all ops can go wrong we must never forget that. There are always thise whi will have problems. xx

Food choices definitely easier with bypass. No comparison in having an easier lifestyle. Now that I have got over my extended post-op issues with bypass, it has showed me just how restrictive life can be with the band and how much more normal things feel with the bypass.

[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Hi,[/FONT]

[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]I'm back on this group after many years of being ok on my band. I had it done privately in belgium. I lost six stone and had a tummy tuck. went from a 24-14/6 clothes. Sadly I have had increasing arthritis that involved caustic meds being taken. They made me soooooo sick. Due to this they changed my meds n gave me something that nearly killed me. I was very very ill due to a severe reaction and ending up in hospital and now have Stevens johnson syndrome as a result. To assist me to live I was fed with masses of steroids for seven months. I put on three stone in this time and got very depressed from the steroids. I was also referred to nhs fat clinic as I was so ill. My arthritis regressed and I was in constant pain. Then my band got tighter n tighter n I was sick, reflux ing n could only sleep sitting up. I would wake up chocking from acid that often went in my lungs n being asthmatic too, was very nasty. Had band for arthritis health help n in the end it nearly killed me. [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]I had to have loads of tests and a camera put down me without anaesthetic. Nightmare. Eventually i had to have it removed as an emergency this march. The surgeon said my stomach had herniated thru my diaphragm and onto my heart and lungs, hence having problems breathing. [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Then I was so sleepy and put on six stone in all in just over a year my fat clinic wondered if I had sleep apnoea. I went to Papworth hospital and yes I did have it. I now sleep on a machine as my excessive weight gain has caused e to stop breathing at night 14 times an hour. So I sleep with a mask on like Hannibal lecter n I hate it! [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]The BEST thing out of it tho is iwas referred for revision surgery at Luton as sleep apnoea is a qualifying financial ok for surgery :))) [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]I went today after only being referred two weeks ago n was told I qualify for revision and I can have it in four months. Will see the surgeon next Friday to discuss whether I have by pass or,sleeve due to my adhesions from three previous surgeries. How exciting and how quick???[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Really interested in anyone going on my journey from band to revision all surgery.[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Good luck everyone :)))[/FONT]

Hello all
Just want to introduce myself. I was a forum member 9 years ago and at the start if my wls journey. If anyone remembers me ( Victoria from West Sussex) then please say hi!!

My life has been an utter roller coaster ride with more downs than I care to remember. Two band slips with the first happening a year out when I'd reached target weight with a 7 stone loss. This went un diagnosed for nearly two years and resulted in an emergency op once my stomach was knitting itself closed. The band was saved and repositioned. My weight then started to go on despite fills and more fills then the sudden need to have unfills. This went on repeatedly for over three years. I then met Chris Pring who listened to my struggles and he allowed for my aftercare to be under the NHS. I then recently had a baby and at 4 months post baby started to have band fills once again. I joined a boot camp and have worked really hard only to find my weight is going up and up. I'm today back to my original weight of 17 st. A few weeks back and after I'd again said that I'm still convinced the band was repositioned in the wrong place, Chris sent me for a barium swallow. Friday was the day of the x-ray results. Hooorahh at last it is clear the band is sat at the base of my oesophagus with no stomach pouch above. No wonder he said I felt strangulated with a fill or zero without!!!
The relief I feel is overwhelming. Revision surgery to remove this lap band and convert to a bypass is in only three months. I cannot wait and feel like I'm starting another new journey. Let's hope this time is a positive one with no more complications.

I'd like to hear from anyone with similar experiences and any advice for my revision to a bypass.

Victoria x

Hi I had my band removed after horrific issues in march. I'm now under Luton n going to ave a by pass or sleeve :)))))) just starting the journey this week. Hope we can stay in touch with our similar stories n future :) good luck :))) Ali

Yes Ali

I've seen a couple of your posts!
We should definitely keep each other updated and support wherever we can :)

Victoria

Back